Dad was from Donegal (RIP), Mom God bless her now aged 94 is from Roscommomn, But me Im a pure Brunmmie, proud of my Irish roots but support England in every sport!
Looking forward to watching this, couple of years back there was an exhibition in the Art Museum on similar subject!

KRO
DES
14:12, Tue 4 Feb
Wyndcliff
No known ancestry myself, but my wife is a Cockney whose parents are from Clare and Galway. Love the country so much, we are resettling to Clare this year.
Clare is great place, spanish steps, Killkee, cliffs of Moher!

KRO
16:27, Tue 4 Feb
WorcsAzul
Be warned if you are eligible for an Irish passport get an application in soon if you want your passport before 2021. My son's application to register as a foreign birth (a pre-cursor to getting his passport) has just been approved....about 8 months after he applied. This means he can now finally apply for his passport.

Not unless Saul is 2nd Gen, and one/both of his parents was born in Ireland, in which case it really is a piece of piss to get your first Irish passport, with the new online portal. Took me about 2-3 weeks from applying online, uploading photo, getting form witnessed/signed by designated professional, sending application to Dublin, and the passport being returned.

re our kids though, as there is that additional 'registering foreign births' process, which they say can take up to 9-12 months.

Agree with all of that.
I just put mine in last week €75, my da was a Dub so no problem as far as that goes.
I was told last year by a fella at An Post in Sligo that if you have any Irish address to have the passport sent to, the process is even quicker.

You do have to factor the cost of the foreign birth registration cost for your kids, I think its around €300 each.
Regards, Mick
16:30, Tue 4 Feb
Maxine Collins
Casper
That's my cousin. She was great. Our family is split pretty much half-way, when it comes to supporting 2nd city football teams. Sorry to say, despite growing up southside of the city, she doesn't support the Blues

I have just watched this on the iPlayer.

Casper, please pass on my congratulations to Angela for a fantastic programme. She is such a natural presenter.

Many things resonated with me...far too many to mention here but I’ll pick out two. Firstly the atmosphere after the ‘74 bombings. As a son of an Irish immigrant I remember the stick people like my dad got, and the fear subsequently passed on to me. As Angela explains it was understandable In some ways as people needed someone to blame.

Secondly, at 09:40. Was there a Catholic family that didn’t have that picture hanging in their living room wall😁?

Really enjoyed that though 👍

We had one of those Sacred Heart pictures along with the little red light. Every evening when I was a kid, we would kneel down facing the picture and say the rosary (lots of repetitive prayers for the uninitiated). Mom would lead the prayers (dad had passed away by then); me and my two brothers would say the responses. My mom would kneel forward into an armchair in front of her to the point where her back was horizontal.

On more than one occasion, the cat would jump up on her back, curl round and go to sleep.

The absurd thing was that she’d just carry on saying the prayers and we’d carry on saying the responses, even though we’d be p155ing ourselves laughing.
Cowinbovril
16:35, Tue 4 Feb
Maxine Collins
Casper
That's my cousin. She was great. Our family is split pretty much half-way, when it comes to supporting 2nd city football teams. Sorry to say, despite growing up southside of the city, she doesn't support the Blues

I have just watched this on the iPlayer.

Casper, please pass on my congratulations to Angela for a fantastic programme. She is such a natural presenter.

Many things resonated with me...far too many to mention here but I’ll pick out two. Firstly the atmosphere after the ‘74 bombings. As a son of an Irish immigrant I remember the stick people like my dad got, and the fear subsequently passed on to me. As Angela explains it was understandable In some ways as people needed someone to blame.

Secondly, at 09:40. Was there a Catholic family that didn’t have that picture hanging in their living room wall😁?

Really enjoyed that though 👍

We had one of those Sacred Heart pictures along with the little red light. Every evening when I was a kid, we would kneel down facing the picture and say the rosary (lots of repetitive prayers for the uninitiated). Mom would lead the prayers (dad had passed away by then); me and my two brothers would say the responses. My mom would kneel forward into an armchair in front of her to the point where her back was horizontal.

On more than one occasion, the cat would jump up on her back, curl round and go to sleep.

The absurd thing was that she’d just carry on saying the prayers and we’d carry on saying the responses, even though we’d be p155ing ourselves laughing.

I was an altar boy for years, even served at my dads funeral.
I never really believed and moved on to running the gambling for the church. Then moved away completely.
I always found Rosary/Confessions/Stations of the Cross bizarre.
Regards, Mick
17:48, Tue 4 Feb
Grandmother is of Irish stock
I may be a rarity on here in that I'm not born in, nor have any family ties to Birmingham.
I was born and raised in Belfast, I consider myself both Irish and Northern Irish.
I've only recently moved to Birmingham before Christmas having spent the previous 12 months in Melbourne.
18:28, Tue 4 Feb
Casper

Really enjoyed it Casper. My son probably knows Angela as he’s very active in the iorganisation of the parade, a good friend of one of the Father Teds and rarely out of the pubs in Digbeth. A really fine documentary - very enjoyable. 👍
Cowinbovril
Welcome to Birmingham mate
19:04, Tue 4 Feb
MSM
Born in Brum to a mum from Mayo and a Geordie Dad (RIP). Lived in Sparkhill until we moved to Ireland when I was 7.

I only lived there for 12 years but it's indelibly stamped on me. I've been in Edinburgh now for 30 years and according to my Scottish wife and kids I still sound like I left the bog yesterday.

Being a Mayo fan is a bit like supporting Blues. Lots of suffering with the occasional trophy to keep you going through the lean years.
19:05, Tue 4 Feb
Our Moms side are Armagh and settled in Kings Heath, my old mans side are Cork and settled around Yardley and Small Heath. Realtives on my Dads side had The Lodge for a bit and I think also The Greenway and The Wrexham. The choice to be Blues with that lineage was no choice at all!
Vincent Blackshadow
Our Moms side are Armagh and settled in Kings Heath, my old mans side are Cork and settled around Yardley and Small Heath. Realtives on my Dads side had The Lodge for a bit and I think also The Greenway and The Wrexham. The choice to be Blues with that lineage was no choice at all!

2 road bowling giants are Armagh and Cork, not sure any other counties play it though :)
why only 2 counties at opposite ends of country play it, gawd only knows?
Baloo
I may be a rarity on here in that I'm not born in, nor have any family ties to Birmingham.
I was born and raised in Belfast, I consider myself both Irish and Northern Irish.
I've only recently moved to Birmingham before Christmas having spent the previous 12 months in Melbourne.

welcome Baloo
Were you a Blues fan before you arrived here or just decided to come along to st andrews since you've been in the area?
Hope you're enjoying the rollercoaster if it's the latter? :)
20:17, Tue 4 Feb
MSM
MSM

Thanks buddy, hope you're keeping well.

Bordesley not Small Heath
Baloo

welcome Baloo
Were you a Blues fan before you arrived here or just decided to come along to st andrews since you've been in the area?

I've been a Blues fan since I was 11. No real reason why, when I first started getting into football as a kid my favourite player was Clinton Morrison. Everybody in Ireland seems to support either United, Liverpool, Celtic or Rangers; glory hunting and Scottish football didn't appeal to me so I picked Blues.

Luckily one of my best mates moved to Birmingham a few years ago, and I have been going out with a girl from Moseley for a few years so I've had more excuse to get over to games in recent years.
Baloo
MSM

Thanks buddy, hope you're keeping well.

Bordesley not Small Heath
Baloo

welcome Baloo

I've been a Blues fan since I was 11. No real reason why, when I first started getting into football as a kid my favourite player was Clinton Morrison. Everybody in Ireland seems to support either United, Liverpool, Celtic or Rangers; glory hunting and Scottish football didn't appeal to me so I picked Blues.

Luckily one of my best mates moved to Birmingham a few years ago, and I have been going out with a girl from Moseley for a few years so I've had more excuse to get over to games in recent years.

fair play. you're deffo not a gloryhunter:) and as for Moseley your GF is in a great spot, my fav district of Brum