Actually just completed the foriegn birth process today!

I applied back in March 2019 and 11 months later the certificate has just come through, pre Brexit there was they were taking around 4 months but most applications are now taking up to a year due to the backlog, and the offices were moved from Dublin to Balbriggan so that caused a further backlog.
01:38, Wed 5 Feb
seaside
Thanks for highlighting.

The last 15 minutes perfectly described the way I have felt all my life. Both parents Irish, born in Birmingham. I have had an Irish passport for almost 40 years but have never felt quite at home as either English or Irish. I always describe myself as Birmingham Irish because that sums me up perfectly. I am proud of both.

I’m pleased that so many enjoyed the programme, and that it prompted so much nostalgia.
My Dad was born in Edgbaston, and my Mom in Rathgar, Dublin. She came to Sparkhill (Knowle Road) when she was 16. The whole Family emigrated, including the dog - which had been given to neighbours, but was having none of it. He ran 3 miles to the Ferry, and jumped aboard to join them.
I was born in Moseley so, technically, I’m English, but I’m so proud of my Irish ancestry and have always felt part-Irish. My 3 siblings are similarly proud of their Irish blood, but none have quite as much passion for our Irish side. I guess it’s a very personal thing.

I do hope there are further programmes in the pipeline. The creator did such a good job, and I’d love to see more of her work.
God
07:08, Wed 5 Feb
including the dog - which had been given to neighbours, but was having none of it. He ran 3 miles to the Ferry, and jumped aboard to join them.

😂 That can't be true, if there was ever a case of a story being embellished over the years it has to be that one. I can understand a dog finding its way home but not vice versa.
Promoted again.
2 road bowling giants are Armagh and Cork, not sure any other counties play it though :)
why only 2 counties at opposite ends of country play it, gawd only knows?

I only ever saw the Road Bowling once, that was in Armagh and I was properly bemused by it!! To be fair I'm still trying to get my head around GAA Football and I've played that between the ages 8 & 18 and still watch it avidly (I'm 34 now and still none the wiser!)
DES
07:54, Wed 5 Feb
SOBLUE
seaside
Thanks for highlighting.

The last 15 minutes perfectly described the way I have felt all my life. Both parents Irish, born in Birmingham. I have had an Irish passport for almost 40 years but have never felt quite at home as either English or Irish. I always describe myself as Birmingham Irish because that sums me up perfectly. I am proud of both.

I’m pleased that so many enjoyed the programme, and that it prompted so much nostalgia.
My Dad was born in Edgbaston, and my Mom in Rathgar, Dublin. She came to Sparkhill (Knowle Road) when she was 16. The whole Family emigrated, including the dog - which had been given to neighbours, but was having none of it. He ran 3 miles to the Ferry, and jumped aboard to join them.
I was born in Moseley so, technically, I’m English, but I’m so proud of my Irish ancestry and have always felt part-Irish. My 3 siblings are similarly proud of their Irish blood, but none have quite as much passion for our Irish side. I guess it’s a very personal thing.

I do hope there are further programmes in the pipeline. The creator did such a good job, and I’d love to see more of her work.
Great post, my son in law I grew up in sparkhill and I swear, I can recognise that south birmingham Oirish accent anywhere!
So much so, that I was at a networking do in Telford and got talking to an office supplies guy there, I took a chance and said did you go to Archbishop illsleys?
He obviously thought I had as well, but I said no! It’s because you speak identical to my son in law!!
Kro
Same for me.
Born in Birmingham to Kerry parent's in 1970.
Mass every Sunday,played Gaelic Football and every summer holiday we headed for the Swansea Cork ferry and spent the next 4 weeks visiting relations and hoping for a dry day so we could head to the beach.
Met my wife in the Irish Centre,she's also Birmingham Irish - her dad is Athenry.We are in Ireland over 20 years now,moved over for the building boom in 1998 and never really looked back.
I have great memories of growing up in Birmingham,it's my city and it made me who I am. We visit every year during the summer and I always make it to a few Blues games a season with my son.Heading over to the Reading game in a few weeks and looking forward to a few pints in the Spotted Dog.KRO
Born in Fermanagh.
Moved to Small Heath aged 5.
South side of City ever since.
KRO
10:51, Wed 5 Feb
We used to have trouble trying to contain the giggles during the rosary, holding your nose with your face going purple, especially with your mom saying the prayers at 100 miles per hour, trying to get it over with as quickly as possible. I remember once the phone rang in the middle of her in full flow. When she asked who the hell that could be, I replied that it was probably God asking her to slow down a bit, which stopped any pretence at containing the giggles, as everybody then just let loose in laughter!
DES
11:09, Wed 5 Feb
Blue Knows
We used to have trouble trying to contain the giggles during the rosary, holding your nose with your face going purple, especially with your mom saying the prayers at 100 miles per hour, trying to get it over with as quickly as possible. I remember once the phone rang in the middle of her in full flow. When she asked who the hell that could be, I replied that it was probably God asking her to slow down a bit, which stopped any pretence at containing the giggles, as everybody then just let loose in laughter!

This is probably going a bit too deep into catholicism for many on here, but saying the rosary is almost a kind of snobbery cos the ITK`s throw in unusual prayers between saying assorted ten times hail marys!
We did it once over a burial on coldest sleety day about ten years back, I likened it to one of the tortures devised by the Spanish inquisition!

But, like step dancing, the Easter rising and only drinking Guinness in the winter months its all part of being Oirish!

KRO
11:19, Wed 5 Feb
My mother in law, also Angela, knows Mike and Angela Moran really well from the teaching industry in both Sutton Coldfield and Oxfordshire.
Our Angela's parents also settled in Brum from Ireland in the 1950s so I'll enjoy watching this.
14:52, Wed 5 Feb
As I expected there are loads of us. My mom was born in Offaly, my Dad in Manchester, and me in Salford. Moved to Small Heath and then Sparkhill early 70's. Guiness and White Pudding boy me.
15:16, Wed 5 Feb
Mom was born in Tipperary; came over when she was 17 to be a housekeeper to a doctor and his family who lived in Gerrards Cross but was later 'told' by her own mother she had to go up to Birmingham because her (mom's) sister needed someone to look after her baby whilst she went out to work. She met my dad, who was born in North Wales, whilst they both worked at Cadbury's. I was born in Harborne. I have always felt a very strong affinity towards Ireland and would love to move over there in the future.
DES
16:24, Wed 5 Feb
BluenoseMo
Mom was born in Tipperary; came over when she was 17 to be a housekeeper to a doctor and his family who lived in Gerrards Cross but was later 'told' by her own mother she had to go up to Birmingham because her (mom's) sister needed someone to look after her baby whilst she went out to work. She met my dad, who was born in North Wales, whilst they both worked at Cadbury's. I was born in Harborne. I have always felt a very strong affinity towards Ireland and would love to move over there in the future.

Born in Harborne Mo? change your posting name to` posh Colleen` then!

Mo have you heard of that book finding Tipperary Mary?

KRO
KerryBlue
Same for me.
Born in Birmingham to Kerry parent's in 1970.
Mass every Sunday,played Gaelic Football and every summer holiday we headed for the Swansea Cork ferry and spent the next 4 weeks visiting relations and hoping for a dry day so we could head to the beach.
Met my wife in the Irish Centre,she's also Birmingham Irish - her dad is Athenry.We are in Ireland over 20 years now,moved over for the building boom in 1998 and never really looked back.
I have great memories of growing up in Birmingham,it's my city and it made me who I am. We visit every year during the summer and I always make it to a few Blues games a season with my son.Heading over to the Reading game in a few weeks and looking forward to a few pints in the Spotted Dog.KRO

at Glebe Farm?

Any of you older ones remember the GAA pitches here, those sunny sunday afternoons, the wooden refreshment hut,
boiling hot tea in white plastic cups, the thin ham sandwiches in clingfilm ( or Clingfilum) and the ice cream van?

Happy memories for me in 70s
My Mother a Co Antrim protestant,
Father a Co Cork Catholic.
Married against families wishes.
Had five kids and loved each other dearly. Came to Birmingham to help the war effort.