21:55, Thu 6 Feb
DES
Hands up as another Irish Brummie here.

Dad from Dublin and mum was from Galway. Both moved over to Brum in the 60s and met and settled in sparkhill where the old man still is.

Really enjoyed the programme as it was great to see others who are cut from the same cloth as me.

I did laugh when I saw Johnny Bourke on there... last time I saw him was at mums funeral!!
00:25, Fri 7 Feb
A lot of us on SHA are likely to have Irish ancestry. I saw a stat claiming that 1 in 6 of all Brummies born in the 60s had at least one parent who was born in Ireland.

For those who are interested in reading more about our Brummie Irish heritage, you might like to check out this book by Prof James Moran of The University of Nottingham. It was endorsed by Prof Carl Chinn, whose Mom was Irish, and who grew up in Keele Drive, Moseley. Sadly, Carl’s Father made him support the wrong Bham team, but I’ve never held that against him. [There, but for the grace of God, go I].

Irish Birmingham: A History - by James Moran
03:32, Fri 7 Feb
Lord Boz
Hands up as another Irish Brummie here.

Dad from Dublin and mum was from Galway. Both moved over to Brum in the 60s and met and settled in sparkhill where the old man still is.

Really enjoyed the programme as it was great to see others who are cut from the same cloth as me.

I did laugh when I saw Johnny Bourke on there... last time I saw him was at mums funeral!!

I Know Johnny Bourke well. Would meet up at Johnny Meyers infamous barbecues every year.
He has sold the shop and retired now.

Hasn’t the White Swan on Bradford St, as featured in the programme gone too?
06:59, Fri 7 Feb
Blue Knows
We used to have trouble trying to contain the giggles during the rosary, holding your nose with your face going purple, especially with your mom saying the prayers at 100 miles per hour, trying to get it over with as quickly as possible. I remember once the phone rang in the middle of her in full flow. When she asked who the hell that could be, I replied that it was probably God asking her to slow down a bit, which stopped any pretence at containing the giggles, as everybody then just let loose in laughter!

Another memory of Irish religious stuff - nailed on true. Story comes from the early/ mid 60s when large numbers of young men from Ireland were coming over to work on the buildings/roads. Anyway, the couple who ran the Moseley Arms around that time were quite religious (as was the way). On Ash Wednesday, the landlady would ask the punters if they’d managed to get to church to get their ashes. Many wouldn’t have been able to because of work, so she’d line them up at the bar and put the ashes on their foreheads, one by one.
Cowinbovril
07:36, Fri 7 Feb
I heard a story that all of Chinn's family on both sides supported Blues, he chose 'them', just to br different, as he fell out with them.
What did the Knights in White satin?
DES
08:52, Fri 7 Feb
Here’s a great Irish brummie story, my mate BC, his mom is from Clare, thought he would surprise her by buying a load of those foods you can usually only get in Ireland, Barry tea, white pudding, sausage meat, marshmallow biscuits etc.
When his mom saw them she was made up! Didn’t know you had been over son ( to Ireland she meant)
He said, I haven’t mom, got them in sparkhill!
She looked at him in disbelief, you bloody fool she said, sure someone there has just repackaged stuff so that an eejit like you will buy it!
She gave it all back to him!

Kro
09:34, Fri 7 Feb
Tall
I heard a story that all of Chinn's family on both sides supported Blues, he chose 'them', just to br different, as he fell out with them.
A tall story i’m guessing as Buck his dad was chairman of vile shareholders association.
09:47, Fri 7 Feb
Didn't know that. I was told by somebody who knows him personally
What did the Knights in White satin?
10:14, Fri 7 Feb
Tall

Just 'cos his dad was vile it doesn't mean the rest of his family were/are. (I don't know - just saying loike)
23/01/20 Mad: I'll stop moaning now.
11:30, Fri 7 Feb
B_C_F_C
Tall

Just 'cos his dad was vile it doesn't mean the rest of his family were/are. (I don't know - just saying loike)

Carl is a life-long supporter and season ticket holder of the team that wears pink & baby blue. Carl’s Dad was indeed Chairman of their Supporters Association for many years. I can remember him being on TV a few times when I was a kid. Carl’s mom was from Aston, and was as big a fan as Carl’s Dad.

In fairness to Carl, he’s never let this unsavoury aspect of his life affect his genuine fondness and respect for all in the City. Indeed he’s even worked for Blues, doing his Peaky Blinders tours.
11:35, Fri 7 Feb
Is the accent he puts on accentuated or faked somewhat? Always sounded to me like he was trying too hard. I mean I'm glad he sticks up for the city and bigs it up, I've very Pro-Brum myself, but he doesn't do the accent any favours
11:50, Fri 7 Feb
Its 100% fake, i won't say they were posh but he grew up in Hall Green and you don't get that accent in Hall Green - my dad knew the family back in the day. I have the Rover book he wrote 'We ain't going away' got him to sign it 'Up the blues'
SHA's Resident Estate Agent
DES
12:21, Fri 7 Feb
No one speaks like Carl chin, it’s totally false, and he is a viler, but he has been one of only who bogged up Brum!
Kro
12:37, Fri 7 Feb
Robert Hopkins
Its 100% fake, i won't say they were posh but he grew up in Hall Green and you don't get that accent in Hall Green - my dad knew the family back in the day. I have the Rover book he wrote 'We ain't going away' got him to sign it 'Up the blues'

Yep fake accent and fake dialogue.

Born in Sorrento Hospital Moseley, lived in Hall Green area and went to Moseley Grammar School - 4 years below me.

No one living in that area or attending Moseley Grammar in the 60s talked or talks like he does.
23/01/20 Mad: I'll stop moaning now.
B_C_F_C
Robert Hopkins

Yep fake accent and fake dialogue.

Born in Sorrento Hospital Moseley, lived in Hall Green area and went to Moseley Grammar School - 4 years below me.

No one living in that area or attending Moseley Grammar in the 60s talked or talks like he does.

Agree,
If he did live in Keele drive then thats a lovely cul de sac with detatched houses, off leafy Green rd by the ford and sarehole mill park
Lovely stretch of rd that is between wk grn rd and the river. That accent is more inner city 'back to back' houses