16:01, Thu 13 Feb
DES
I used to stress myself out worrying about who to support, eg, the 1990 World Cup, when I was switching allegiance throught the England/Ireland game, not wanting either team to score. Solved the riddle at an England v Ireland rugby game. When England scored, I leaped up cheering, then realised I was surrounded by all the Irish. Then Ireland scored straight afterwards, and the Irish all turned round to me to gloat, only to see me cheering as well. It's not an either/or for me, I am both, so will support both, and am proud of being both. And we're not alone - over in Porto supporting England last summer, I was getting pissed with some Man.City/Bury fans, only to find that not only did they have Irish roots, but I was even related to one of them!
DES
16:54, Thu 13 Feb
Blue knows, how great was Porto! Why the hell didn’t we play there rather than Guimaraes which was such a pain to get to and back from!

Kro
23:38, Thu 13 Feb
DES
How was Amsterdam?
Fat Buddha - 'Rab C Nesbitt. He's a contrary fecker, but invariably right. He has his finger on the motherfecking pulse.'
DES
23:53, Thu 13 Feb
Rab C Nesbitt
How was Amsterdam?
It would have been preferable to Guimares Rab!
Biblical rain from early afternoon to midnight
Nowhere to eat in town (The mayor advised everyone to shut up shop)
Ran out of booze in hotel after the game
John stones making more errors in 90 mins than Bobby Moore made in his England career.
First example of Var ruining the night ( lingards toenail)
No ubers! Two hour queue in the rain for train!
Rest of the trip brilliant though!
Porto must see city👀
Kro
07:26, Fri 14 Feb
DES
Anybody in the Irish bar down by the river in Porto The night after we had played in Braga 🤪 the owner was sitting there with his feet up in his little bar and suddenly 200 blues walk in. Shit himself and was pleading on his phone for bar staff. He couldn’t understand why we were still in Portugal !
DES
08:40, Fri 14 Feb
Greebo joe
Anybody in the Irish bar down by the river in Porto The night after we had played in Braga 🤪 the owner was sitting there with his feet up in his little bar and suddenly 200 blues walk in. Shit himself and was pleading on his phone for bar staff. He couldn’t understand why we were still in Portugal !
Joe, even after we lost to the Dutch, that whole area wS rocking the following day. God only knows what it would have been like if we won!

Kro
11:10, Fri 14 Feb
DES
Des - Porto was rocking for many days after. I remember coming out of one of the port lodges up on the hill across the river, and could hear them all singing down by the river, a mile or two away! The locals didn't quite know what to make of it all, particularly the naked wresting that was going on in the green space. The tourists loved it though, laughing and clicking away with their cameras. Porto is wonderful though, so many great views and vantage points, and the Douro valley, shame the football got in the way!
11:38, Fri 14 Feb
DES
Des - didn't get back till about 3 in the morning after that unbelievable wait and queue for the train. Most pissed I've been for a game since the Carling Cup final - I normally limit it to a couple before the game so I can take it all in, but easily double figures for that one. Then fretting before kick-off when I realised my phone was down to 1% charge with the tickets still on it. Great atmosphere/experience though. Where were the Dutch? Normally they arrive in big numbers and make a lot of noise, not this time though. Went to the final too, so it was good to get some revenge on them, with the very numerous and vocal English singing 'Always Look on the Bright Side of Life' back to them, with the Portuguese joining in.
DES
12:36, Fri 14 Feb
Blue Knows
Des - didn't get back till about 3 in the morning after that unbelievable wait and queue for the train. Most pissed I've been for a game since the Carling Cup final - I normally limit it to a couple before the game so I can take it all in, but easily double figures for that one. Then fretting before kick-off when I realised my phone was down to 1% charge with the tickets still on it. Great atmosphere/experience though. Where were the Dutch? Normally they arrive in big numbers and make a lot of noise, not this time though. Went to the final too, so it was good to get some revenge on them, with the very numerous and vocal English singing 'Always Look on the Bright Side of Life' back to them, with the Portuguese joining in.

Must admit, losing to the cloggies did take the edge of what had been a wonderful trip ( we spent three days in Lisbon to begin with) the Var disqualification of Lingards goal was and still is a bitter pill to swallow!
Also watching John Stones prove he has learnt NOTHINg was disappointing cos that lad has everything to become a world-class defender except for a footballing brain!

KRO