12:22, Sat 15 Feb
montypenguin
Spike
Yeah, that was an innocuous one - Achilles injuries usually are.

I seem to remember they just banged a ball down the line and he ran across to cover it with nobody near him and he just went down in a heap.

Barnett was massive for us that season, he and Peter Shearer had a real intimidation factor. Nobody fancied rumbling with those lads...in fact, didn't Shearer's Achilles go as well?

Shearer hobbled off in the first half of the next game v Brighton at home, I think after he had just scored to put Blues 2-0 up.

Blues were really blowing out of their arses by now. This was a game they could easily have lost. 2-0 up and cruising before that immense dickhead Uriah Rennie decided to send off Gary Cooper for a challenge that was barely worthy of a yellow card. 3-2 down before Mark Ward equalised with a rebound from a penalty.

I worry that today's ref is a bit like Uriah Rennie, thinks he's the star of the show..

Yes, I seem to remember that Dominguez terrorised them in the first half before Cooper was sent off. One of his bookings was ridiculous (by him) he jumped and virtually caught the ball in the middle of the pitch. Ricky Otto was a disgrace that day, I thought - down to ten men, and never have I seen such an uninterested, lazy performance as I did from him.
The Belle of St. Trillions
20:45, Sun 16 Feb
Brother Tam
And didn't Dave Barnett do his cruciate ligament that night? It really was a heroic effort, considering that they'd played at Wembley just two or three days before.

Dave Barnett. I think it was him. It was at Griffin Park. I can't remember when, whether it was a league or cup match or what the score was.

A storm erupted out of nowhere and there was torrential rain. Barnett brought the ball forward and let fly from about 30 yards right into the top corner.

There was a period when I seem to be watching blues at Griffin Park every week.
DES
20:56, Sun 16 Feb
Here is a serious question, who do Brentford consider to be their direct rivals?
Is it QPR?

Kro
21:11, Sun 16 Feb
DES
I would have thought so Des yeah. They were similar sized clubs until QPR's meteoric rise in the mid-60s.

I've just read the rest of this thread. It might have been Shearer who scored that goal.
DES
21:27, Sun 16 Feb
Whenever I think of griffin park, I always think of Simon Sturbridge getting that late winner there, more blues in the ground than Bees!

Kro
21:29, Sun 16 Feb
DES
DES
Here is a serious question, who do Brentford consider to be their direct rivals?
Is it QPR?

Kro
They were singing about Fulham a lot yesterday. So I presume it’s them 🙈
Fat Buddha - 'Rab C Nesbitt. He's a contrary fecker, but invariably right. He has his finger on the motherfecking pulse.'
21:37, Sun 16 Feb
DES
I missed the 80s completely, football wise.

My first game back was around 1990 – an away win at Orient. I think it was Sturridge and Bailey who scored.
21:40, Sun 16 Feb
DES
Yes that's right Rab.

Best to just humour him Des.
DES
23:17, Sun 16 Feb
Micky Darrell
Yes that's right Rab.

Best to just humour him Des.

Ha ha!
Fulham unbelievably think they are Chelsea’s rivals!!
08:57, Mon 17 Feb
DES
Strange set of fans QPR worked with a guy in the late 90's who was a massive fan. They are definitely a local club for local people the majority come from a massive council estate in Acton. They think of Chelsea as their rivals.
mad
14:59, Mon 17 Feb
Depends on the era and the estate though. 30 years ago QPR had quite a rivalry with Arsenal, both being central London sides like Chelsea. Especially that area of Westminster around Paddington Station and Camden. Arsenal and QPR fans would've lived side by side in those housing association flats, drank in each other's pubs etc... Spurs tended to rival West Ham (fans being more suburban and from Hertfordshire, Bedfordshire and Essex overspill towns) although obviously the Spurs Arsenal rivalry has always been the biggest.
DES
15:05, Mon 17 Feb
mad
This is similar to charlton? who are their rivals? I know they are close to Millwall but all their hate is for hammers!
Also, poor old palace have to hate Brighton 50 miles away cos no one else is bothered about them!

KRO
15:07, Mon 17 Feb
DES
DES
This is similar to charlton? who are their rivals? I know they are close to Millwall but all their hate is for hammers!
Also, poor old palace have to hate Brighton 50 miles away cos no one else is bothered about them!

KRO

Actually I think it’s more the other way around that Brighton fans hate Palace. Sure it’s reciprocated but Palace would have no problem finding other rivals. I have been to that game a few times, it’s very intense and much more so than you might think given the distance between the clubs!
mad
15:12, Mon 17 Feb
DES
Crystal palace is a complex one. I know Chelsea used to draw lots of fans from south of the river so they were a rival in many ways. Arsenal and QPR are the two proper central London sides. Spurs, West Ham, even Chelsea (to an extent historically) and certainly the case now draw fans from further afield. Chelsea compete with Southampton for fans nowadays. Charlton, Millwall very localised as are Brentford and Orient still.
15:27, Mon 17 Feb
mad
Charlton get a lot of support from towns in Kent they have a rivalry with Gillingham

They also hate Millwall.