Scoobers
There's different strains of the normal flu I think and more than one is covered in the flu jab I think ?
There are meetings with experts from that field who decide what strains go into the the flu jab for the year based on what strains are around and likely to be over the upcoming flu season. Think itbead late one year recently due to them adding a strain that had popped up.
18:07, Wed 25 Mar
Yeah, I have to have the flu jab annually.

I think the theory is that it covers maybe 2 or 3 of the most likely strains.

Anyway, I reckon the answer to this will come from existing drugs for the time being. They had an expert on earlier who said there were 77 variations of compounds of existing drugs that are showing really good results and they are likely to be where we can go first.

There was one drug (I can't remember which) that was simply destroying the tiny spines on the organisms which prevent them from sticking to the tissues inside the throat and lungs.
There's too much opinion and not enough fact.
18:09, Wed 25 Mar
IanT
Reports from China that 10-15% of those who had covid-19 caught it again

Can you source that statistic please?
I cannot find the second article(Not on my phone history may have read on wife's phone or pc)
Basically the article was studying data of infections in China with graphs about infection rate deaths,China's response etc. But it mentioned people getting virus for the second time around 10-15%. Article suggested more than 1 strain and was looking at why Italy's death rate was climbing and was there a deadlier strain in Italy.
09:40, Tue 31 Mar
Bela's About
IanT
Bizarre isn't it.

As usual though, people know better than the experts.

Is it unfeasible? Just because it wasn’t found in China until Boxing Day why can’t it have existed before then?

Genuine question.

Apparently it did exist before then. People might not be as educated in these areas as the experts but as can be observed now (in retrospect), some experts have apparently not been completely honest about when this virus was first detected.

[www.theguardian.com]

'The report, in the South China Morning Post, said Chinese authorities had identified at least 266 people who contracted the virus last year and who came under medical surveillance, and the earliest case was 17 November – weeks before authorities announced the emergence of the new virus.'
11:34, Tue 31 Mar
I think it’s widely known that China suppressed information about the early course of the virus. The article that you quote does not confirm anything except underlines those suspicions about the outbreak in China - it was about earlier in China and earlier action could have suppresed its spread in other countries, it seems likely. It says nothing about ‘experts’ being dishonest, it’s about the action of a government.

People on here however are claiming they had the virus around Christmas. If they had, in the numbers suggested on here and extrapolated, we’d be in a far bigger fix than we are now. It’s quite dangerous claiming it’s been here and loads have had because that plays into the hands of those death-Custer’s who minimise the risk of the virus.
11:35, Tue 31 Mar
newblue
I think it’s widely known that China suppressed information about the early course of the virus. The article that you quote does not confirm anything except underlines those suspicions about the outbreak in China - it was about earlier in China and earlier action could have suppresed its spread in other countries, it seems likely. It says nothing about ‘experts’ being dishonest, it’s about the action of a government.

People on here however are claiming they had the virus around Christmas. If they had, in the numbers suggested on here and extrapolated, we’d be in a far bigger fix than we are now. It’s quite dangerous claiming it’s been here and loads have had because that plays into the hands of those death-Custer’s who minimise the risk of the virus.

👍
11:52, Tue 31 Mar
Not sure if this has been posted but incredibly scary coming from a senior WHO official.

Tell you what that crack is really moreish.
12:00, Tue 31 Mar
Sublte 😁
13:06, Tue 31 Mar
Nice, so WHO refuses to discuss Taiwan because its really bad over there? Or backhanders from China to these individuals bigging them up even though its all started with them anyway!
Partisan Blues Fan
newblue

👍

But that’s implying that we know how many people currently have it? We don’t so our mortality rate to cases might actually be substantially lower. Without antibody testing and wider testing of new cases, we will never have a better understanding of when this started taking hold in the UK.
09:08, Wed 1 Apr
Very true. I still say that looking at the figures and thinking that 1 in 16 will die is massively out. Thats 6.25% by my reckoning.
I'd say the true figure is anywhere from 0.5% - 2%.

My hope for the 2nd wave is that we adopt the South Korean policy of chasing the virus down. Test people with symptoms, isolate them and also test and isolate anybody they've been in contact with, repeat
Fat Buddha - 'Rab C Nesbitt. He's a contrary fecker, but invariably right. He has his finger on the motherfecking pulse.'
09:14, Wed 1 Apr
Rab C Nesbitt
Very true. I still say that looking at the figures and thinking that 1 in 16 will die is massively out. Thats 6.25% by my reckoning.
I'd say the true figure is anywhere from 0.5% - 2%.

My hope for the 2nd wave is that we adopt the South Korean policy of chasing the virus down. Test people with symptoms, isolate them and also test and isolate anybody they've been in contact with, repeat

I’d have hoped that we’d have acted this way first time round. Hopefully you’re right, I can’t see it though.
09:27, Wed 1 Apr
Oh absolutely. That was how we initially set out, but that was then abandoned for the herd immunity policy, Cummings favoured.
I still say our scientists have been used by some in Government.
Others obviously disagree
Fat Buddha - 'Rab C Nesbitt. He's a contrary fecker, but invariably right. He has his finger on the motherfecking pulse.'
09:50, Wed 1 Apr
You might be reading that, but i’m not implying it. There were a lot of people before and around Christmas who had (I would say) a heavy cold/viral related symptoms. I had them. Loads of my friends did. This is the thing that people on this thread are claiming is Covid.

I agree that finding out the likely mortality rate related to extent of infection seems Vital - just how dangerous is this thing - and it seems much wider testing is really the only way to find this out - which is different from using it to control the disease, I think. Though I have also read pieces that wider testing in itself may lead to problems - partially because of potential reinfection (does herd immunity work), partially because it will lead to a break down in the ‘isolation and suppression’ approach.
09:58, Wed 1 Apr
Rab C Nesbitt
I still say our scientists have been used by some in Government.
Others obviously disagree

Isn’t there talk that the CMO has basically been told what action to take, rather than the other way round?