mad
mad
I said cricket
The hundred is cricket mad!
And they are anticipating big crowds!
Kro
21:34, Wed 25 Mar
DES
The biggest peril of this whole crisis must be lazy journalism.
There was a great piece in The Spectator by a former Icelandic PM about his country’s experience.
Being a small country with traceable overseas connections they were able to pin most cases to a bar in the Austrian Tyrol and discover that in their infected population there were 40 different mutations.
That must be a big part of the problem - country X isn’t wildly different to country Y, it’s just that they’ve collared a more virulent strain.
21:45, Wed 25 Mar
The need to have a national, coordinated response remains, but this is being met by the government’s COVID-19 response.

What’s your point?
22:52, Wed 25 Mar
You do seem very keen to play the whole thing down as being over played and over exaggerated, that's fair enough, but I think a lot of people who think this won't get any more serious are in for a shock in the next few weeks.
It's going to get a lot worse before it gets better, I hope everyone on here comes through it.
Good luck all.
People have to take this seriously, I was arguing with someone today who genuinely thinks it's OK to drive to your favourite exercise spot for your daily exercise and there was more than just a few that agreed.
That kind of thinking will only make it worse.
23:09, Wed 25 Mar
The problem is people are not seeing the whole picture. They think it's an old people's virus.. They will be fine as only around 0.7-1% will die from this. They fail to understand how easily it is spread, how quickly it spreads, how many people they can infect in turn putting the people least able to fight the virus off at risk,fail to see that with so any people infected the NHS will collapse under the pressure thus increasing the death rate 10 fold at least, the collateral damage to other ill people like heart attack victims who will die as there will be no beds/healtcare staff for them. They fail to understans what social distancing is for.They also don't understand the delay in the virus figures. An article in the daily mail says is it working..? as death toll is down on yesterday. This will reinforce their view and cue more people not keeping the 2m distance.
23:22, Wed 25 Mar
Did you actually read the information from the UK government in the link? They have downgraded the virus such that COVID-19 is no longer considered to be a high consequence infectious diseases (HCID) in the UK. Doesn't fit with your narrative maybe but this is actually, factually, what they have done.
00:06, Thu 26 Mar
Archangel
Did you actually read the information from the UK government in the link? They have downgraded the virus such that COVID-19 is no longer considered to be a high consequence infectious diseases (HCID) in the UK. Doesn't fit with your narrative maybe but this is actually, factually, what they have done.

It has not been downgraded... it has been taken out of the HCID treatment regime which are generally only dealt with at four locations in the UK.. maybe you didn't read it properly?

"Cases of COVID-19 are no longer managed by HCID treatment centres only. All healthcare workers managing possible and confirmed cases should follow the updated national infection and prevention (IPC) guidance for COVID-19, (
[www.gov.uk] ) which supersedes all previous IPC guidance for COVID-19. This guidance includes instructions about different personal protective equipment (PPE) ensembles that are appropriate for different clinical scenarios."
23/01/20 Mad: I'll stop moaning now.
01:50, Thu 26 Mar
Of course I read it properly and of course it's a downgrade. No matter how much you will it, it is now no longer considered a high consequence infectious disease and highlighting the only part you think bears out your analysis (but actually doesn't), will not change or dilute that. It has low mortality rates (this is in the link), and it does not fit the following:

"In the UK, a high consequence infectious disease (HCID) is defined according to the following criteria:

acute infectious disease
typically has a high case-fatality rate
may not have effective prophylaxis or treatment
often difficult to recognise and detect rapidly
ability to spread in the community and within healthcare settings
requires an enhanced individual, population and system response to ensure it is managed effectively, efficiently and safely "

COVID-19 is not now considered to align with the above.

You should probably contact the government department responsible and explain that if it's all the same to them, it should be reinstated immediately because well, you don't believe it.
07:40, Thu 26 Mar
In a pandemic situation, I presume the downside of keeping it in the HCID category, was that we haven’t sufficient treatment centres for the cases to get referred to ?

Also, disease wise, it’s not claiming the lives of everyone who gets it, which appears would drop it out of the HCID category ?

I would say though, that having a low mortality rate in a pandemic situation, could be considered a lot more serious than having One person with monkey pox being treated in a HCID Centre.
07:52, Thu 26 Mar
666VAN
In a pandemic situation, I presume the downside of keeping it in the HCID category, was that we haven’t sufficient treatment centres for the cases to get referred to ?

Indeed... it is no longer an HCID because it cannot be dealt with under the long standing arrangements for HCIDs to be dealt with at 4 UK locations.

If anything - on 19th March it was UPGRADED to a pandemic - the same day that The Coronavirus Act 2020 was introduced. 
23/01/20 Mad: I'll stop moaning now.
08:06, Thu 26 Mar

MY narrative? Have you really just wrote that? You are starting to come across as a classic denial type.
Look, I'm the last bugger in the world to panic about anything or want to panic others.
This 'downgrade' you are clinging onto seems like a bit of a life raft.
My lad is a rozzer, the Mrs is pretty high up in the NHS. I can't go into any details of what they are both telling me they have been briefed. The Mrs was in an emergency conference yesterday, what they are both grim faced over is NOT a downgrade.
Sorry mate but your attitude is far from helpful, it will encourage people to begin acting normally, well they can't and if they do, the scenario the Mrs had laid out before her yesterday WILL happen. The West Midlands is about to catch up with London if we don't take this seriously.
I have no agenda, no narrative, I just want people to be OK and what I heard yesterday was grim indeed.
Ignore that if you want, but don't try and make others ignore it, that's potentially very damaging.
All the best.
08:12, Thu 26 Mar
You chide others for supposedly not understanding, when in reality it’s you who doesn’t understand what you are quoting. It’s probably because you don’t know what your own point is.

We’ve had a pretty sound understanding of what the effect of this disease will be on the wider population for some time. Fortunately, it isn’t like Ebola and the other diseases mentioned which have a much more severe death rate. We know the majority of people who will catch this, thankfully won’t suffer serious illness and death. Which is why it has been downgraded from ‘high consequence’ (I.e, death) for most people people who catch it. The very article you are quoting underlines that if we don’t follow the current isolation process in this pandemic, the highly likely consequences are that our health services will totally overwhelmed, there will be severe economic consequences, and between 250,000 and 600,000 deaths will occur. Highly contagious in other words, with high impact on particularly vulnerable parts of society, though not only them.

Well. I still can’t still work out what you are saying. It’s partly because it’s not clear what it is. It appears to be that either the effects of this disease are not significant in terms of deaths (and other health impacts), which is not supported by the very report you triumphantly quote, which actually states the opposite of that; or you don’t care that the consequences are the numbers which have been estimated, for which you have provided zero ‘evidence’. So you are either wrong, or merely callous, or possibly a combination of both.
10:55, Thu 26 Mar
Wish we had a 'Loike' button on here 👍
11:03, Thu 26 Mar
Well said Newblue.
11:12, Thu 26 Mar
FFS, if true:

[twitter.com]