13:34, Wed 20 May
What are we Qing today?

I've got a brisket on the bullet smoker. Low and slow ready for 6pm.
14:43, Wed 20 May
Mr Crosby her own special recipe for sausages.
Had Ribeye Steak and Asparagus done on the Smokefire tonight

Doing Pulled Pork Carnitas tomorrow
20:29, Wed 20 May
Love a BBQ but always struggle to get 'her' going. Does anyone else use sacrifice burgers to get it going? If not any other tips.
20:54, Wed 20 May
Use lumpwood charcoal. Little pyramid/mound of coal and a couple of firelighters at the bottom. Let it burn for at least half an hour (til flame has gone and coals are white) before you cook.
20:56, Wed 20 May
too impatient. They never seem to all burn and go grey. The firelighters always go out after about 10 mins so i fire on the liquid to get it going then put the sacrifice burgers on to let the fat fall into the charcole and get it going like. Although maybe i break the firelighters up to small. Maybe.
21:11, Wed 20 May
Another top BBQ (and any other very hot bit of metal that you’re grilling on tbf) tip is to plonk a whole peeled onion on the end of a big serving fork, dip it in veg oil and rub it over the bars of the bbq.

Not sure of the science behind it but it makes it incredibly non stick, even more so than just rubbing oil alone on the bars.
21:43, Wed 20 May
Tandy
Another top BBQ (and any other very hot bit of metal that you’re grilling on tbf) tip is to plonk a whole peeled onion on the end of a big serving fork, dip it in veg oil and rub it over the bars of the bbq.

Not sure of the science behind it but it makes it incredibly non stick, even more so than just rubbing oil alone on the bars.

Thanks for that, Chef.

I’ve started to use the bbq sheets you can buy which I was a bit sceptical about, but it does keep the meat moist if, like Mrs PD, you will only eat meat that is on the other side of ‘well done’.

And am I some kind of heathen as I have a gas bbq?
22:08, Wed 20 May
Yes. In fact it's not a bbq at all, it's a camping stove.
22:09, Wed 20 May
Yeah I agree, not a fan of them for bbqing.

Excellent for cooking outside but they’re not barbecues, you won’t get any of the smokey flavour.
22:13, Wed 20 May
Yes you are
22:14, Wed 20 May
Yeah, I wasn't been a nob, we've got one too. We use it as well as the bbq...and the chimnea and the fire pit table.

I just like flames.
22:14, Wed 20 May
ZLAMMER
too impatient. They never seem to all burn and go grey. The firelighters always go out after about 10 mins so i fire on the liquid to get it going then put the sacrifice burgers on to let the fat fall into the charcole and get it going like. Although maybe i break the firelighters up to small. Maybe.

The firelighters are meant to go out after ten mins. Sounds like you're using briquettes. Use lumpwood charcoal instead. They burn easier. Onion is a good tip for cleaning the grill too.
22:17, Wed 20 May
Last time I just soaked some small pieces of dry rough sawn timber in petrol and lit them under the bbq bricks.