22:23, Wed 20 May
noted
ZLAMMER
too impatient. They never seem to all burn and go grey. The firelighters always go out after about 10 mins so i fire on the liquid to get it going then put the sacrifice burgers on to let the fat fall into the charcole and get it going like. Although maybe i break the firelighters up to small. Maybe.

Invest in a chimney starter and some wood wool firelighters. 2 firelighters is all you will need (no petrol taste from these firelighters). Once coals are white hot (approx 20 minutes) A decent sized chimney starter will usually give you enough hot coals to BBQ for 3-4 people in a medium sized BBQ if more people or bigger bbq then pour the hot coals in the middle and over a bed of unlit coals and give it another 10-15 minutes to make them all catch.

As stated earlier Lumpwood (preferably Restaurant Grade) will burn better in a BBQ. The cheap supermarket and DIY store stuff is a waste of money. Quality charcoal will make all the difference to burn time and flavour.
Tilton Rifle
What are we Qing today?

I've got a brisket on the bullet smoker. Low and slow ready for 6pm.

Was it a full brisket or point or flat? Brisket is the king of all BBQ meat. Usually too big to feed 2 of us although Brisket Chilli with the leftovers next day is a great dish.
1.5kg Brisket. Texas style. Just salt and pepper.

Got one of these last year. Great for low and slow or grilling steaks, wings, chops etc.

Fornetto Razzo Modular 18” Vertical Bullet Smoker [g.co]
23:08, Wed 20 May
Quite like the old bbq but there’s only about 2 days a year up here the weather permits it.

Having said that, if the temp is above 5 degrees C and the sun is shining, the number of blokes wearing shorts surprises me.

I blame foreign holidays. Maybe we’ll get back to wool and tweed if we can’t travel

I like the meat but halloumi makes a nice right-on alternative.
23:19, Wed 20 May
I love cooking outdoors. I'll bbq at least once a week from March through to October. Married a South African though so it's standard.
23:46, Wed 20 May
What are we Qing today?

I've got a brisket on the bullet smoker. Low and slow ready for 6pm.

I bet the brisket will be nice aswell.
Tilton Rifle

Got one of these last year. Great for low and slow or grilling steaks, wings, chops etc.

Nice bit of Kit, used something similar the ProQ Frontier for 3 years and just moved on to my first Pellet Grill the Weber Smokefire in February. I loved using the ProQ and learned a lot from it, but getting up at 4 am to fill the charcoal basket and get it all started, has lost a bit of appeal to me. Just went into the garden now, flicked a switch takes 20 minutes to get to 225F, will then put the pork shoulder on and sometime in the next 8-10 hours the pork will reach and internal temp of 203F and the only thing I will have had to do hopefully is wrap it when it gets past the stall and I am able to monitor it all from my phone.

I know a lot of people enjoy working with live fire, but I am getting to old to feck about all day tending to it. It is so much easier and the results, although not such a strong smoke flavoura s charcoal are far more consistent in my finished cooks now. I'm a convert to pellet grills

Still use the ProQ to cold smoke my homecured bacon as well as salmon and cheese etc and I will take it to tailgates if they ever start again.
You sound like an expert. I didn't know that you got a stall with pork shoulder. I thought that was just brisket.

I've only recently started cooking low and slow. I've been grilling South African braai style for years now and wanted to try something different. I've been really happy with the ribs and briskets I've done so far. Going to try short beef ribs next.
NotFitToLaceDeanPeersBoots
Tilton Rifle

Nice bit of Kit, used something similar the ProQ Frontier for 3 years and just moved on to my first Pellet Grill the Weber Smokefire in February. I loved using the ProQ and learned a lot from it, but getting up at 4 am to fill the charcoal basket and get it all started, has lost a bit of appeal to me. Just went into the garden now, flicked a switch takes 20 minutes to get to 225F, will then put the pork shoulder on and sometime in the next 8-10 hours the pork will reach and internal temp of 203F and the only thing I will have had to do hopefully is wrap it when it gets past the stall and I am able to monitor it all from my phone.

I know a lot of people enjoy working with live fire, but I am getting to old to feck about all day tending to it. It is so much easier and the results, although not such a strong smoke flavoura s charcoal are far more consistent in my finished cooks now. I'm a convert to pellet grills

Still use the ProQ to cold smoke my homecured bacon as well as salmon and cheese etc and I will take it to tailgates if they ever start again.

Got some Pro Q questions if you don’t mind as I’m in the market for a new BBQ and I’m tempted by something along these lines.

Which size would you recommend? Will need to be practical for cooking just for the 4 of us for day to day use, but hopefully if things get back to normal groups of 20 or so when we have a party.

Is it practical to take the central modules out and use it as a traditional grill if needed? How big is the basic grilling area if you use it this way?

I assume there is no way to simultaneously smoke/slow cook and grill (eg slow and low some brisket while using the grill to do some sausages at the same time)?

What’s it like to clean? 😂

I’ve seen the comments about restaurant grade lump wood. How much is a sack, and what sort of use do you get from a sack? Same for wood chips. In other words, what is the running cost?

Do you need any of the extras? I’m tempted by cold smoking. Which bits are worth getting and how much are they?

Hope you don’t mind the questions. Ignore if you CBA to reply 👍🏻
Not an expert, just an enthusiast, who likes to smoke and grill a couple of times a week.

Pork Shoulder does stall, the one I have on at the moment, put it on at 6 this morning, currently at 160F Internal and expect it to take 2-3 hours to get up to 175F now because of the stall then I'll wrap it and add the citrus juice for the last 2 hours till it reaches 203F internal and leave it to rest for an hour in a cool box, before pulling it and frying it off in a skillet for the Carnita's If time was short, I could wrap it now and that will help with speeding up the stall, but not eating till after 6 so no rush, and if it takes longer, I can just up the temp 10-30F with a turn of the dial, if needed. Which was never really an easy option with the Bullet smoker.

Beef Short ribs are lovely and melt in the mouth I just add a simple Salt & Pepper Rub to mine, you doing a rack (jacobs ladder) or individual ribs?

I love chicken wings at the moment 1 hour at 225F and then 20-30 minutes for the crispy skin at 425F in a Buffalo sauce or Lime & Coriander
12:12, Thu 21 May
I've got a ProQ excel too and that's the size you'll want for those bigger cooks.

Yes you can remove the central models and use it as a grill or keep the lid on and use it like a weber.

You can grill closer to the coals using the basket in the central module (under the water pan) to cook at two different temps. So you can grill hot and smoke low at the same time.

I use restaurant grade lump charcoal for hot and fast from amazon (£18 for 12kg) and heat beads (briquettes) for low n slow £15 for 4kg.
12:13, Thu 21 May
Clean it by burning the grill on your next cook and rub it with half a Spanish onion. Empty the old coal into a bin bag (close vents first :))
Sounds ace. Any tips for short ribs (whole not individual)? I love grilling wings. Are you doing them on your ProQ or pellet smoker?
As Tilton has said if you cook for 20 regularly then the Excel is the way to go, if more usually up to 4 regularly and up to 20 a couple of times a year, the Frontier will do the job also. The Frontier will do 2 x 4-5kg Pork butts or a full Brisket sliced between Point and Flat quite easily or 6-8 racks of Pork Ribs with 2 rib racks and you can always buy another stacker for the Frontier if you needed to make it bigger in the future. Also an Excel is overkill if just cooking a few ribs (beef or pork) for the 4 of you and will use a lot more fuel to heat it up and maintain it with an Excel than a Frontier.

Mac @ MacsBBQ has already sold out of his pre-oders for the ProQ's evidently that are due the end of the month, but has said keep an eye on vendors he supplies.

If interested in cold smoking buy a cold smoking kit one that includes the cold smoke generator and some wood dust to start you off, like this[hotsmoked.co.uk] as I said showing out of stock, but other vendors sell this sort of kit as well, to go with the frontier or Excel. But you would need to act quick probably, as due to the lockdown, the outdoor cooking products seem to be selling very well at the moment.

It can be used as a grill not as good as a kettle, but ProQ do an ingenious flip'n'grate that attaches above the basket or my preferred method if you have a full size chimney starter the afterburner plate, it properly seals and cooks steaks at a super high temperature [proqsmokers.co.uk] and a full chimney starter will cook 3 or 4 steaks individually, perfectly

The ProQ as a default setting will usually only cook at one temp when fully assembled 225F, but you can adjust it with the vents and leaving the waterpan dry to go higher, just needs a bit of practice or use the smartfire attachment to control the temps. (would only invest in one if you end up doing regular cooks and through the winter) but a great bit of kit for controlling and raising temps.

My preference is Restaurant Grade Lumpwood Charcoal, but I know a lot of people use Weber Briquettes with the minion method or Aussie Heat beads and love them, just have to find your preferred way and type over time. I always used wood chunks from places like Smokeshack or Amazon, usually buy the 10-20 kg boxes for around £20 and they lasted me 3-4 months. Just put a couple of them with the unlit coals in the basket around the outside and after putting the hot coals in the basket and the temp stabilises, they have started smoking, when you're ready to add the meat. No point adding wood to a smoker after 3-4 hours as once the bark has formed on the meat after that period. The meat won't absorb the smoke after that. In fact you can finish it off in the cooker at that stage, if you want.

I put my grills in the dishwasher after every cook and they look as new as when I bought it nearly 4 years ago. Think they have changed the grill material on the newer model ones, so would need to check if they're still dishwasher safe. Always foil the water pan before cooking, just tip the fatty water away after use and throw the foil away, your pan will stay clean and last a lot longer. I always used play sand in my water pan with foil over the top of it and a drip pan with some water in that would also catch most of the fat. Then just throw the foil and drip pan away, so the sand lasts longer. Found it gave me more stable temps than water. But that was just my personal preference and water may suit you better.

As for the internals of it, never cleaned it once in 4 years, if I hadn't used it in a period of time, would do a 30 minute high temp burn just in case, but if you use it regularly the heat from a cook, does enough.

If you get one and interested in doing your own bacon, let me know by PM and I will tell you what you need to do cure and time wise etc, quite easy. But well worth it, you would never buy Supermarket bacon again.

Personally I think investing in a ProQ or WSM or Fornetto at £300 is a better investment than the cheap sub £100 ones you get at Argos or the Offsets for up to £300. So many people buy them, realise they have thrown their money away, when they leak and have massive temp fluctuations and don't bother with smoking after that.