11:08, Thu 30 Jul
Stephen Carr played with and against the best players in the world for most of his career, the best team Langan played for was Oxford. Langan couldn't lace Steve Carr's boots fact
11:09, Thu 30 Jul
Yep. My vote too.
11:12, Thu 30 Jul
Nightporter1
Bordesley not Small Heath
number8
Love Carr, but has to be Langan. We will never,ever have a better full back pairing than him and Dennis.

Agree Langan

Langan played like a wingback before Wingbacks had been invented.

Up and down the line, would have been described as an 'overlapping fullback' in those days
and could cross a ball

I remember one particular match, he charged down the wing towards the railway end at about 100mph, somehow managed to get a cross in without breaking his stride, it swung away from the keeper and Mick Hartford was there at the far post with a thumping header into the roof of the net, glorious.. we are making it sound like we were good once.

Harford's debut? 1-0 v Brighton in March 1982. I was stood right level with the penalty area at the Railway End and Harford rose like a salmon to win that header against a very able centre back in Steve Foster.

That 81-82 season was my first as a STH and I have to say, the Langan & Dennis full back pairing has never been bettered. That was also the season Dennis put Alan Ball on his arse and the pair of them got sent off for fighting when we beat Saints 4-0. Ball trudged off to the tune of "Hang yer balls up Alan Boots" đŸ˜‚
11:13, Thu 30 Jul
Dunno bout you Spike, but it certainly took me back, thinking bout Martin, Pendrey and the like.
Big Roger Hynd was my first favourite player, I loved him. When I played football after school, I would copy his style of running, those arms moving like train pistons pumping away.
As I said, it bought great memories back.
11:14, Thu 30 Jul
number8
Love Carr, but has to be Langan. We will never,ever have a better full back pairing than him and Dennis.

Dennis Langan appreciates this post, on this thread.

Carr, considering he was ‘finished’ when we signed him was phenomenal for us, but those of us who saw Langan play know, he was fantastic. As said earlier, played wing-back before wing-backs were even a thing.
11:18, Thu 30 Jul
Gary Poole came with Hunt from Southend

Don’t think there was much between Langan and Carr both were excellent for us.
11:20, Thu 30 Jul
i'll never forget gary poole if only for the time he pushed the referee over at maine road after he had given man city a hotly disputed injury time penalty.

seats and coins were exchanged between the blues and man city ends and it was absolute carnage after the match!!!

cant believe it was the best part of 25 years ago.

langan gets the edge over carr for me. not much in it though.
"supporters should be patient a little while longer - sunshine days are just around the corner."
Ken Wheldon - March 18th 1988
...if there's ever a better full back pairing than Langan and Dennis at the Blues I hope I'm around to see it....
11:25, Thu 30 Jul
Dave
Dave Langan by a mile, he would be in my best Blues eleven,great player
this langan was pure quality and had great composure on the ball
11:27, Thu 30 Jul
John O'The Tilton
Dunno bout you Spike, but it certainly took me back, thinking bout Martin, Pendrey and the like.
Big Roger Hynd was my first favourite player, I loved him. When I played football after school, I would copy his style of running, those arms moving like train pistons pumping away.
As I said, it bought great memories back.

To be honest, I'm slightly too young to remember Hynd or Martin with any authority. I did see them play a lot and do remember them in that childhood way - but accept I wasn't really old enough to have clear thoughts. Plus I was usually too fixated on Bob Latchford to notice many of the other players...

Pendrey I remember more because he obviously played for us for longer and I had more idea about what I was watching by then. Pendrey was never more than a trier even to my impressionable young eyes.
11:32, Thu 30 Jul
number8

Dennis Langan appreciates this post, on this thread.

Carr, considering he was ‘finished’ when we signed him was phenomenal for us, but those of us who saw Langan play know, he was fantastic. As said earlier, played wing-back before wing-backs were even a thing.

Wing backs were a thing in 1975. Our manager used them but changed his mind in the semi final. That’s what cost us the cup and out chance of being massive.

OT

David Langan by a mile

Him and Dennis were the best full backs we have had in 50 years
@Bluewurst1875
11:42, Thu 30 Jul
I know what you mean about Bob Latchford, he was my favorite after Big Rodger.
Remember going to the Victoria Ground when we beat Stoke 2-1, Latchford scored from a cross from Bob Hatton (another great player). They'd had a bit of a fall out earlier in the week, and when Big Bob scored, they both ran to each other, shook hands and hugged, memories hey.
12:00, Thu 30 Jul
I'd say Jeff Hall but that's because I'm really old.
DES
13:03, Thu 30 Jul
b34blues
Dave
Dave Langan by a mile, he would be in my best Blues eleven,great player
this langan was pure quality and had great composure on the ball

Carr would Skipper my best ever Blues 11!

KRO
DES
13:13, Thu 30 Jul
Worcester Blue
Jeff Kenna was decent too

But I actually think my RB in my all time best Blues team would be Gary Rowett

OMG Worcs, just sneeks into our top five mate!
Carr
Langan
Kenna
Bert Murray (our first attacking full back.
Gary Rowett

KRO