Dan
15:15, Thu 30 Jul
God
Swansea went from Div 4 in the late 70s up to the top 6 of the first division and then back down again within about 10 seasons which is pretty impressive.
15:18, Thu 30 Jul
Dan
Northampton did the same in the 60's.
Thongs
Number8 is the worlds best forum poster. FACT. End of chat.
15:20, Thu 30 Jul
And more recently, I guess Portsmouth and Bolton?
15:22, Thu 30 Jul
God
God
There is no way in a million years that Dave Langan was a better football player than Stephen Carr. You're all loopy.

...you have an unfair advantage though, in that you can use your superpowers to go back and see things you never saw.

In this way you will no doubt be able to confirm that Jeff Hall was a bit over-rated and only got the sympathy vote for dying, when actually Jackie Badham was a far better right-back...
DES
15:29, Thu 30 Jul
number8
Northampton did the same in the 60's.
I only said this to someone yesterday Div 4 to Div 1, think the manager in the ascendency was Dave Bowen!
I went there Christmas 66 think they got relegated out of Div 2, the keeper was Bill Brown ex-Spurs and Scotland, to my youthful eyes he looked a hundred!

KRO
16:27, Thu 30 Jul
Davie langan brilliant player
KC
16:42, Thu 30 Jul
For the older, older fans Jeff Haall was pure class. He had it all and would have fitted in to any era at right back. All the names mentioned were excellent players with imo perhaps Ray Martin not being the same standard although I suppose he did compensate for lack of skill with tremendous enthusiasm.
God
16:47, Thu 30 Jul
number8
From someone who saw both, Langan was better. And its nothing to do with any type of nostalgia, he was just a better player. Not every single player before 2000 was shite you know.

Harford was mega, Blake was mega, Dennis was mega, Broadhurst was mega, Kuhl was mega, Coton was mega, Langan was mega, Todd was mega.

Just like all those 70s lads who were all mega.

Yet none achieved what the third rate hackers we had 02 through 12 did in a top flight full of many of the best players in the world.

There has to be some nostalgic blue tinted specs.
Promoted again.
16:58, Thu 30 Jul
God
Seriously though, it's not that difficult really.

In the seventies we had really good forwards, Latchford and Francis...and Hatton wasn't chopped mince either - they scored effloads of goals. Their records are there to be looked at - they compared with anybody and went on to play for England.

...but we didn't really have a defence.

In the early eighties we had two outstanding full-backs in Langan and Dennis, they were up there with anybody's full-backs. Langan was Irish and played for Ireland, Dennis didn't play for England but that was not to do with ability.

...but we didn't really have forwards.

Worthington was an excellent player - eighteen goals the one season, that compared with anybody. But he was knocking on when we signed him. And he had Keith Bertschin playing next to him...

Todd was top class, but again - knocking on.

A lot of the players people liked in that era were not really of that class, but were liked for...other reasons. Nobody ever claimed Broadhurst was a great player...nor Blake. But it was ok to like them and ok to like that team.

So the problem is, we had really good players...but never enough of them at the same time. And eventually we got into a cycle of selling players.

You could put together a very, very good side from players we had in the seventies - and again in the early eighties...but we never put those teams together.

Edit...In the seventies we sold players like Francis, Latchford and Burns.

In the early eighties we bought and sold anybody with a pulse.

By the late eighties we had Dean Peer.
DES
17:03, Thu 30 Jul
KC
KC
For the older, older fans Jeff Haall was pure class. He had it all and would have fitted in to any era at right back. All the names mentioned were excellent players with imo perhaps Ray Martin not being the same standard although I suppose he did compensate for lack of skill with tremendous enthusiasm.

KC you should post more, great to hear from peeps who saw that 1950`s side play.
17:13, Thu 30 Jul
Totally agree.

I reckon if you could put a side together from the years of, say, 1977 to 1984 it would be one helluva team.

We never had it all at the same time though.
There's too much opinion and not enough fact.
17:14, Thu 30 Jul
Depends who managed it.
God
17:17, Thu 30 Jul
Blake has definitely been spoken of as a world beater on here.

And I do understand, and I'm being a bit tongue in cheek.
Promoted again.
17:25, Thu 30 Jul
Even I could manage a team like...

Coton

Langan
Todd
Van Den Hauwe
Dennis

Gemmill
Dillon
Curbishley

Francis
Worthington
Harford
There's too much opinion and not enough fact.
17:32, Thu 30 Jul
God
All that talent, fewer Blues medals between them than Stuart Parnaby.