07:39, Tue 15 Sep
We know he has some good qualities we can use, I trust AK to get the most out of him.

Not many players came out looking good at the end of last season.
Scoot Mcgoot
David Xavis
Not quite sure how we can grumble, absolute beast pre-lockdown.
The fickleness of some fans is staggering.

Of the two versions we had of Hogan one thing was clear and that was he can finish.
To judge him after lockdown isn’t a fair appraisal of his time here.

It’s not ‘fickle’ at all.

It’s judging based on the facts. Excluding his most recent games because it doesn’t suit your argument is strange, particularly when those recent games are completely consistent with the last 3 years of his career!

There has been in my view a massive overreaction to Saturday’s win, where rational thought seems to have been completely abandoned.
07:45, Tue 15 Sep
Holdsworth_MaraSonner
Scoot Mcgoot
David Xavis

Of the two versions we had of Hogan one thing was clear and that was he can finish.

It’s judging based on the facts. Excluding his most recent games because it doesn’t suit your argument is strange.

The facts are that he scored 7 in 17 which is a more than decent return.
23/01/20 Mad: I'll stop moaning now.
07:46, Tue 15 Sep
Don't come on here with your rational thinking.
Holdsworth_MaraSonner
Scoot Mcgoot
David Xavis

It’s judging based on the facts. Excluding his most recent games because it doesn’t suit your argument is strange, particularly when those recent games are completely consistent with the last 3 years of his career!

There has been in my view a massive overreaction to Saturday’s win, where rational thought seems to have been completely abandoned.

There was IMO a massive overreaction to the Cambridge defeat.
If Hogan does come back to Birmingham I hope we get the pre-lockdown version, eager to prove that he still, at only 28, can produce good performances and hopefully first help secure that we stay in the division, and then hopefully kick on and go for it next season.
It's easier to beg forgiveness than ask for permission.
07:52, Tue 15 Sep
He'll want to play his way into the Ireland Euro 2021 squad if they qualify.
07:57, Tue 15 Sep
B_C_F_C
Holdsworth_MaraSonner
Scoot Mcgoot
David Xavis

It’s judging based on the facts. Excluding his most recent games because it doesn’t suit your argument is strange.

Some people talk as if there's a player out there who would get 17 goals in 17 games, just eagerly sitting by the phone, waiting for Blues to call him and get him on the cheap.

This is where we as a club. We need to take a gamble on players like Hogan, because the guaranteed goal-getters are worth a lot of money.

The club may have irons in the fire and are awaiting their main target closer to the end of the window, but we need a few strikers. Hogan and Juke are a good foundation.

You can't judge Hogan purely on his pre-lockdown form, you can't judge him purely on his post-lockdown form. But you could make a valid point that the entire team was shocking post-lockdown.. But for some reason it never gets held against any other player about their "post lockdown" form, just Hogan.

"Clean slates for everyone".. Apart from Hogan?

I love Juke more than life itself, but if you played both of them upfront in Karanka's 4231, over 46 games I know which one would score more goals.
08:10, Tue 15 Sep
LH_4
B_C_F_C
Holdsworth_MaraSonner
Scoot Mcgoot
David Xavis

Some people talk as if there's a player out there who would get 17 goals in 17 games, just eagerly sitting by the phone, waiting for Blues to call him and get him on the cheap.

This is where we as a club. We need to take a gamble on players like Hogan, because the guaranteed goal-getters are worth a lot of money.

The club may have irons in the fire and are awaiting their main target closer to the end of the window, but we need a few strikers. Hogan and Juke are a good foundation.

You can't judge Hogan purely on his pre-lockdown form, you can't judge him purely on his post-lockdown form. But you could make a valid point that the entire team was shocking post-lockdown.. But for some reason it never gets held against any other player about their "post lockdown" form, just Hogan.

"Clean slates for everyone".. Apart from Hogan?

I love Juke more than life itself, but if you played both of them upfront in Karanka's 4231, over 46 games I know which one would score more goals.

That’s a very very silly argument. The other players are already contracted to us. We don’t have much choice but to give them a clean start unless somebody else wants to buy them. Hogan would be an investment we are not obligated to make and as with every incoming transfer there is an opportunity cost and it’s sensible to assess it.

For what it’s worth I think he’s ok, I quite like him as a guy and wish him well. But I’d invest elsewhere.
08:15, Tue 15 Sep
Fair point. It’s not a disaster if we sign him. I just wouldn’t go there.
08:18, Tue 15 Sep
I am perfectly fine with this as long as it’s not our main striker target and we’ve worked out a good deal with him him and them lot over his wages.

Also I understand the argument about his form post lockdown, but not only will he have a new proper manager, he’s also got an entire new three behind him, who in theory should create more chances for him.

We still need a speed merchant type striker though imo with or without hogan.
I think it's fine if we are either deciding:

- We sign Hogan and get a good Prem prospect in on loan to then wait a season before spending on another forward.

- We sign Hogan and spend good money on a forward

I'd prefer the latter or secret option 3 spending money on a top forward and getting a Prem kid on loan.
“Oh Nikola Zigic”
08:19, Tue 15 Sep
Rave-On
I am perfectly fine with this as long as it’s not our main striker target and we’ve worked out a good deal with him him and them lot over his wages.

Also I understand the argument about his form post lockdown, but not only will he have a new proper manager, he’s also got an entire new three behind him, who in theory should create more chances for him.

We still need a speed merchant type striker though imo with or without hogan.

Yep. All fair.
08:27, Tue 15 Sep
I hope its true. When we were playing well before the lockdown we created chances and he put them away for fun. After the lockdown we stopped creating and he had nothing to feed off. I don't remember him performing badly or missing glaring chances. With Bela, Sanchez, Leko, Toral and Juke creating I'm sure he'll put a lot more away.
08:29, Tue 15 Sep
LH_4

It does make me laugh sometimes, the unrealistic aspirations of football fans. 'Proven' championship strikers are going for £15m at the moment. Brentford have just spent the thick end of £10m on a league one striker. We simply don't have that money at present.
GBR 2020: Sepia tinted visions of a past that never really was, informing an idea of the future that was never really possible.
He’s a proven championship striker that has done well for us.
We are never going to be in the market for the Ivan Toney’s etc so your looking at a gamble on a foreign striker and as with Giminez.....they rarely work.

At the right money it’s a no-brainier.