17:27, Wed 16 Sep
If you take a fancy to the painting , you can do mine if you like, now my ticker is struggling 😁
Oh, and get a decent quality shed brush and don’t be shy in whacking it on mate. Good luck
Jude Bellingham - "Once a blue, always a blue" “This is my Club, I love the Club to bits. I’d die for this Club”
17:27, Wed 16 Sep
Cheers all ... the old panels were cheap horizontal overlap style with no supporting battens or frame etc - i think they lasted 15 years before they rotted away though (not that i was here 15 years ago) .. but that was mainly because they were held together by the mass of ivy that used to grow over them
17:28, Wed 16 Sep
Roger the lodger
Hahaa cheers pal.
xx
Jude Bellingham - "Once a blue, always a blue" “This is my Club, I love the Club to bits. I’d die for this Club”
17:30, Wed 16 Sep
Rags
Cheers all ... the old panels were cheap horizontal overlap style with no supporting battens or frame etc - i think they lasted 15 years before they rotted away though (not that i was here 15 years ago) .. but that was mainly because they were held together by the mass of ivy that used to grow over them
You’ve done right getting the Closeboard mate. If they start pulling or twisting in time add more batons to pull them back right, and paint them as often as you can.
You painting both sides?
17:30, Wed 16 Sep
Rags
Rags
They should be tight imo. For the reasons you state.
Old wooden clothes pegs are usually decent wedges.
Or I use limestone chipping a I’ve got to stop the top of the panel rattling in the grooves of the post.
Btw are you using gravel boards now or putting a new fence up?

Gravel boards (2 x height) and concrete posts are already installed ... just dropping new panels in, s'all - in fact we've dropped the panels in and was simply wondering whether or not to

1 .. put wedges in a couple to tighten the fit
2 .. sand a couple of mm off the tight ones to make them fit looser
Again , always 1. They will come out once in, even if they’re tight.

And finally fair play for spending more on the vertical feather edge panels (closeboard panels).
Imo they’ll last twice as long as the cheaper overlap panels.
To strengthen them further you can attach 2 batons underneath and above the central supporting baton to further strengthen them and stop the panels pulling and twisting over time. Treat them every year if possible and you’ll get 20 years out of them.
The composite stuff is expensive but.... a long term maintenance free option and look ace in grey and that won’t fade as much as the brown and you can put a lacquer on to protect from uv damage

"
Well you WILL be impressed because this is exactly how they are .. "To strengthen them further you can attach 2 batons underneath and above the central supporting baton to further strengthen them"

"Cuprinol duckback silver copse" on all 24 tomorrow (and probably Friday to be honest)
I’d be going into April 😁
👌

This is my method of staining / painting ...

Long roller and brush

17:33, Wed 16 Sep
Fair play.
I always remove the panels before painting as well to not splash the concrete posts. Loads don’t, but I think it looks neater
18:52, Wed 16 Sep
"Cuprinol duckback silver copse"

A man of taste I see. Did ours this summer (hard work tbf), but the results are well worth it.
18:54, Wed 16 Sep
Just done my fence I put a little bit dollop of gripfill in gap to stop panel rattling.
19:41, Wed 16 Sep
A bit of engine oil mixed in with your fence paint works wonders !
23:29, Wed 16 Sep
about the tightness, Ive always been told to let them have a bit of space to move as they swell and shrink with the temperature and moisture so need to have a little give. I just wedge mine in with cut sponge, stops the annoying rattling and damage from that but gives the necessary give to ease the pressure.
23:39, Wed 16 Sep
I did 2 sides at our old place - I think 10 panels. At this place, I did one side last year (10 panels) and at Whitsun this year I did the back (6).

Keep em tight. And another benefit of treating them is they don't look that horrid grey colour after a few years!