08:38, Thu 24 Sep
Reading the thread about Storer reminded me of the book I read about this guy. Did anybody on here ever see him play or remember any reports about him back in the day? If you read 'The Greatest Player You Never Saw' you'd think he was a mixture of Pele, George Best and Gerd Muller but he only ever played a couple of seasons for Reading and a few games for Cardiff. Another legend to be who couldn't keep out of trouble is how he's portrayed, then dead at the age of 38. The book's worth a read though if 'true life, but probably a bit exaggerated upon' is your thing.
08:47, Thu 24 Sep
His trademark was to go flick the V's at the keeper he had just rounded to score.

There is a romance about people like Friday, Best and Storer but aren't they essentially just @rseholes?
08:54, Thu 24 Sep
I don't know, there was a good thread on here the other week about Ravel Morrison and FB pointed the way towards a story in the Athletic about him, which I got to read. I thought the story in question glossed over his misdemeanours a little but at the same time, it showed that there's often another side to the story.
09:02, Thu 24 Sep
I like the story of in one of his last games:

1. He kicked Mark Lawrenson in the head
2. Got sent off
3. Then broke into the away dressing room
4. Took a dump in Lawrenson's kitbag
5. Left the ground
09:07, Thu 24 Sep
His trademark was to go flick the V's at the keeper he had just rounded to score.

There is a romance about people like Friday, Best and Storer but aren't they essentially just @rseholes?

There a story, possibly apocryphal about a journalist visiting Best in a hotel room.....Miss World was in there, and plenty cash and champagne evident and the journalist asked.....”where did it all go wrong George?”
09:09, Thu 24 Sep
Gorra Go Tom
I like the story of in one of his last games:

1. He kicked Mark Lawrenson in the head

I didn't need to read any further before deciding I liked him...
09:23, Thu 24 Sep
From what I've seen, I think 'Lawro' still wears the shirt anyway so no harm done.
09:46, Thu 24 Sep
I dealt with a bloke through work for a number of years, he has moved on since but I knew him well and liked him.

One day we were talking football and he dropped Lawrenson's name - my man said he knew Lawrenson really well and considered him an actual personal friend.

I pulled my face and said - well fair enough, but I think he's an utter bell.

My man looked at me, I thought he was going to kick off, then he just said - yeah, I completely get why people think he's a knob because he does come across like that - but honestly, when you know him, he's a top bloke.
10:58, Thu 24 Sep
Fat Buddha

There a story, possibly apocryphal about a journalist visiting Best in a hotel room.....Miss World was in there, and plenty cash and champagne evident and the journalist asked.....”where did it all go wrong George?”

I actually heard George Best tell this story. I was at a dinner where he was the guest speaker and we were at the same table, so I was about six feet away from him at the time. He seemed a nice enough bloke, but clearly didn't want to be there, although it could be because he was sitting near me, tbf.

According to the man himself, it was a hotel employee delivering room service, but yes, the chap apparently saw Miss World, the cash and champagne, and asked that very question. I suspect that it might not have been entirely true, but it was a story from George Best himself.
The Belle of St. Trillions
11:17, Thu 24 Sep
Give me a character any day of the week. If everyone told the exact truth with no flair, or as in all walks of life never did anything wrong, then the world would be a far more boring place universally populated by Bobby Charltons and Brian Little’s.
11:58, Thu 24 Sep
Reading the thread about Storer reminded me of the book I read about this guy. Did anybody on here ever see him play or remember any reports about him back in the day? If you read 'The Greatest Player You Never Saw' you'd think he was a mixture of Pele, George Best and Gerd Muller but he only ever played a couple of seasons for Reading and a few games for Cardiff. Another legend to be who couldn't keep out of trouble is how he's portrayed, then dead at the age of 38. The book's worth a read though if 'true life, but probably a bit exaggerated upon' is your thing.

Probably his greatest stunt outside of football was impersonating a copper (this went on for many months) and confiscating drugs from people for his own use. He went to jail for that one !

The wiki article about him is one of the best reads ever

[en.wikipedia.org]

Is it all myth ... ? ... well, no, not all of it. When you get people such as Clive Thomas the referee nominating you as "scoring the best goal i've ever seen" and so many parts of his life and talent being collaborated by so many different respected pros then it can't be.
12:03, Thu 24 Sep
One of my bosses is slightly older than me (yes it's possible) and is a Reading fan/ST holder since he was a kid. He saw Friday play and said that at that level, he was properly different class but the off the field stuff took its toll (and apparently half of the real stuff didn't get in the book).
12:04, Thu 24 Sep
All true. Great book about a great player. Used to miss or get off the team bus so he could go partying. Get the book it is a great read and yes he was a fantastic footballer.

"I'll get me coat"
14:04, Thu 24 Sep
Agreed a great book.

Reads like a good Friday night BBC4 music documentary in that it chronologically references what's happening in the world.. including football, cultural and news events as the story progresses.

Would love to have seen him play.
14:10, Thu 24 Sep
Slightly Turbid

You can't put Storers name alongside those two in any shape or form

No romance about him whatsoever