09:51, Sat 24 Oct
Funny how the mind works. My old dad is seriously struggling with remembering stuff so having range of tests, scans etc. Get him talking about the Blues tho and he’s suddenly switched on again.

Sure we’ve all got games we’d rather forget but looks like Altrincham at home might be one of the few things we retain as we get older. Scary really.

Obviously worrying but does throw up the occasional gem. At doc’s yesterday quack asked my dad who current PM is. His answer - Boris...Karloff!
09:58, Sat 24 Oct
😆
I wish him well obviously, but that last line made me smile
Jude Bellingham - "Once a blue, always a blue" “This is my Club, I love the Club to bits. I’d die for this Club”
10:21, Sat 24 Oct
It was similar with my late Dad, in fact the last proper chat I had with him was about Warwickshire's championship winning season of 1952!
10:21, Sat 24 Oct
My old man was the same, some of the things he used to say made me laughed.

He could remember things from years ago, but nothing currently.
10:45, Sat 24 Oct
Sad part of life having to watch the bloke you admired so much slowly fade. Dad was a really good and well respected footballer in his time and I was privileged to play in the same sides with him as a young player myself. Now he struggles getting up the stairs - but I realise I'm just lucky to still have him around.
Cherish what you have as long as you can.
10:46, Sat 24 Oct
Yeah, my brothers and I have just had a memory test on my mum and the preliminary result was that she is suffering from the onset of Alzheimers. Not a real surprise as her memory has just ebbed away (car had to go in for repairs and she couldn't remember what the temporary car looked like - three times in four days she went down to the shops and walked home because she couldn't see her car!).

Yet, if you talk to her about her childhood or when we were young it is all still there. She could quite handily beat me if we watched University Challenge but day to day stuff, it is all just fading away. Very sad to see but such is life really, I just don't think that we were all meant to live to 80+ years on a regular basis.

So, what you are experiencing is very common I'm afraid. At least you have some good memories to talk about, well, if it's about Blues it is probably a lot of annoying memories with the occasional funny one thrown in for light relief.
10:47, Sat 24 Oct
Funny how the mind works. My old dad is seriously struggling with remembering stuff so having range of tests, scans etc. Get him talking about the Blues tho and he’s suddenly switched on again.

Sure we’ve all got games we’d rather forget but looks like Altrincham at home might be one of the few things we retain as we get older. Scary really.

Obviously worrying but does throw up the occasional gem. At doc’s yesterday quack asked my dad who current PM is. His answer - Boris...Karloff!

Can i ask how old he is ?
10:59, Sat 24 Oct
82. Had major op at E Birmingham last year and not been same since. Not been gradual decline so been difficult seeing change so quickly. Good age though

my old man

11:11, Sat 24 Oct
I was a mental health nurse before I retired, this sort of thing is very common, even with comparably younger people The diagnosis or dementia is difficult for all people that love the sufferer,and there are a lot of things that can help,new drugs etc, but I always found reminiscence therapy is great help,try to get him to read and do crosswords ,play board games ,anything that gets the brain working.Good luck and best wishes to you and your family for the future.
11:14, Sat 24 Oct
That’s very good of you. Thank you.

We’ll Keep Right On of course. It’s what we do
11:27, Sat 24 Oct
Good luck. Worked with people with memory loss for the last few years of my working life, what the chap says above is so true. Of course it’s not easy, passing on that story has made me and others smile I’m sure.
11:42, Sat 24 Oct
King Tut
At doc’s yesterday quack asked my dad who current PM is. His answer - Boris...Karloff!

Robbie Savage got a head injury during a game. To check his consciousness the physio asked him who the PM was? Robbbie's answer was I don't know. He wasn't concussed he really did not know who the PM was.
11:51, Sat 24 Oct

Robbie Savage got a head injury during a game. To check his consciousness the physio asked him who the PM was? Robbbie's answer was I don't know. He wasn't concussed he really did not know who the PM was.

Last week on the radio he didn't know what a documentary is.
12:49, Sat 24 Oct
Agree 100%

Re: my old man

12:56, Sat 24 Oct
Ratty
I was a mental health nurse before I retired, this sort of thing is very common, even with comparably younger people The diagnosis or dementia is difficult for all people that love the sufferer,and there are a lot of things that can help,new drugs etc, but I always found reminiscence therapy is great help,try to get him to read and do crosswords ,play board games ,anything that gets the brain working.Good luck and best wishes to you and your family for the future.

That's a really good (and nice) post.
The Belle of St. Trillions