Re: my old man

16:19, Sat 24 Oct
Thankyou tam for those kind words .Unfortunately with people living longer this problem is going to get exponentially ,in a way the NHS is becoming a victim of it's own success.And with mental health services always being the Cinderella part ,I think more families will be expected to provide care for their elderly relatives, but my thoughts are with those who have nobody close,and face an uncertain future.In the words of the late great Dave Allen 'may your god go with you
17:35, Sat 24 Oct
Have just lost my old man! Still alive but he’s gone! Ex Navy, Fireman. So sad
19:30, Sat 24 Oct
Sorry to hear that mate.

Seems to be plenty of people going through this and lots of understanding & support as on here. Small consolation I know but consolation all the same.

All the very best
09:32, Sun 25 Oct
My Mom's in the early stages of it too. It is tough to see.
Same with my mom who is 80.

Mentioned a photo I'd seen of Garrison Lane (where she grew up) in 1983 and she was away for an age giving deiails of the late 40s/50s.

Ten minutes later she gives me an update on her modern life only to give me the same update just 2 minutes later, 😐
18:16, Sun 25 Oct
Same situation with my Mom.

I was lucky enough to play in a country band with my Dad, from the age of 16 up to 32. We had some moments back then, but we had plenty of moments outside what we did together on a Saturday night. He, as well as my band mates, were my first musical mentors and I will be forever grateful for that.

Around 9 or 10 years later, after learning how to use music software for recording, i invited them to make an "album" and give them something back. I was so chuffed to be able to do it - they are all 25 years older than me, and I'm 51!

Around 18 months ago, my Shadows tribute mutually agreed to let our sound man go. The absolute obvious and natural replacement? My old man of course! He did the sound for us for about a year before it all kicked off early this year.

He can't do it any more, sadly - due to the first sentence of this post. ☹️
18:25, Sun 25 Oct
Sadly am witnessing this first hand at the moment. Visiting in-laws and my father in law is in a shocking state , a shambling wreck of a man but strong as an ox . It is a cruel disease.

For hank ... sadly didn’t get to play music with my old man ( talented piano and vocals) but have had the pleasure of my youngest son being in a band with me for the last 10 years
18:36, Sun 25 Oct
My Grandad has dementia pretty badly now and asks me the same questions every 30 seconds or so. It isn’t ideal having to tell him Blues have lost 60 times during a half hour visit!

My Nan died earlier this year and we had to take the tough decision no to tell him as he would never remember and it would be horrible for everyone to have to go through it every time we saw him.

He still occasionally gets all misty eyed talking about players like Gil Merrick, Jeff Hall, and Malcolm Page though. Quite incredible how the mind works.

When staying at his as a kid, he used to take me on the bus to play on the spiders web at Bordesley Green park before going to the Blues shop where he’d buy me a ruler or a pen or a pencil case.

He’s the main reason I’m Blues really so I’ve got a lot to thank him for.
21:04, Sun 25 Oct
Went to a really interesting talk with my wife about how the brain works (well, as much as they know how it works anyway). As we get older the brain starts to lose its 'plasticity' and it gets harder and harder for it to make neural connections which is largely what information and memories are. Hence new information just doesn't stick because it doesn't get made into a memory whilst information that was obtained earlier, does.

As has already been said in the thread (by people who actually know what they are talking about) mental stimulation is good - at all ages obviously! - but ultimately it just hits some people and not others and even stuff that works doesn't make people 'better' it just slows the rate of decay.

Thanks to diet and modern healthcare more and more people are able to live longer lives but the downside is that, sadly, more and more of them are then subject to these kind of mental diseases. As I said earlier, we just aren't really made to live as long as we are now able to. But then, went over to mums on Friday and she was as bright as a button as long as you didn't talk about anything that happened in the last 18 months!!