17:19, Sat 24 Oct
Super Hans
Conceding two goals from open play in two months is excellent on the other hand.

Shows what this competent manager has done for the team which looked like conceding with every attack since just before lockdown.

Now he’s sorted that I think we can expect work on the other side of the game.

I've read that any competent manager should be able to do this if it means having eight men behind the ball. I think there's more to it than that though - getting the best defensive system, even if it means changing the formation at the back, needs the players to be used to each other, to trust each other and to know what they're going to do and are capable of.

Perhaps it's no coincidence to see Dean and Roberts (much maligned at times, sometimes fairly and sometimes not) playing well, Friend looking very capable and Colin and Pedersen also much improved from the second half of last season.

If we can build on that solidity, we have the ability further up the pitch - Sanchez, Leko, Bela, Toral, MSJ, to make things happen. A striker with pace would have been welcome, but there's time.
The Belle of St. Trillions
17:19, Sat 24 Oct
5 new players signed this season have played a major part in today's improved performance.
Etheridge, Friend, San Jose, Leko, and Sanchez ( sub on )

Some still refuse to accept that we needed new players. Nuts !
Thankfully they're on board , they've significantly improved us so far and will continue to do so.
First half hour we were pretty good.
Evened up for most of the rest.
That performance today should give even the most negative Blues fan cause to be optimistic.
For a nil nil draw it was a decent game.
Every woman every man
Loves Karankaman, we're Blues
Stand up... stand up.... stand up
Everybody make a noise
We're the Brummie boys
Stand up, stand up .....
17:28, Sat 24 Oct
I think the difference is Karanka is having to turn around an absolute horror show in a short amount of time.

I really think we'll get there.
17:33, Sat 24 Oct
Nose of Blue
Which do we prefer?

Last seven of last season

won 0 drew 1 lost 6 for 3 against 15 points 1

First seven of this season

won 1 drew 4 lost 2 for 3 against 4 points 7

I think it's very very clear that we have made a huge defensive improvement. We're still struggling for goals BUT there have been signs throughout the first 7 games of the season that we're playing much better and look like a team who are fighting for each other.

Today was also a much improved performance and with a bit more luck should have won.

It's improving guys and gals, we need to give Karanka time to turn this lot around.

Spot on. Every game we are analysing and improving. Aitor is a class act, give him time.
17:35, Sat 24 Oct
Oh, thought it was the players we had were good enough yet it was the coach's fault πŸ˜‚

As someone else has pointed out the end of last season went worse only after, overall, Pep said he was leaving.

I can't recall us going this long without a goal in open play. It's got to break soon πŸ‘
17:47, Sat 24 Oct
Scoobers
Oh, thought it was the players we had were good enough yet it was the coach's fault πŸ˜‚

As someone else has pointed out the end of last season went worse only after, overall, Pep said he was leaving.
3 draws 5 defeats from Clotets last 8 games.
1 draw 6 defeats after he left.
1 win 4 draws 3 defeats in 8 this season.
And 20 odd mill banked in transfer profit.
Jude Bellingham - "Once a blue, always a blue" β€œThis is my Club, I love the Club to bits. I’d die for this Club”
18:53, Sat 24 Oct
When he puts it like that, you can see a huge turn around already.

They were truly pathetic after lockdown. An embarrassment in committed defending, we've made huge strides.
β€œOh Nikola Zigic”
19:00, Sat 24 Oct
Largely the players didn't put it in.
A lot of 'em didn't deserve their wages.
Disgrace.
But that was then ....the new blood has helped immensely.
Every woman every man
Everybody make a noise
We're the Brummie boys
Stand up, stand up .....
19:05, Sat 24 Oct
Scoobers
It is up to a point as it is to the detriment of failing to score in open play against the might of Cambridge through to QPR.

The likes of McLeish and Rowett were pounded by some for being too negative yet Karanka has been hailed for worse. As consistent as VAR πŸ˜‰

Today will be a good point if we win our next match πŸ‘

I don't think he's been "far worse" in any respect. There's been one game where we didn't look like scoring at all for 80 minutes, and Hogan fluffed what should be his bread and butter, right at the end.

We could have nicked almost every game 1-0, with the same general performances, and he would be the Messiah
19:09, Sat 24 Oct
yeehaw
Scoobers
It is up to a point as it is to the detriment of failing to score in open play against the might of Cambridge through to QPR.

The likes of McLeish and Rowett were pounded by some for being too negative yet Karanka has been hailed for worse. As consistent as VAR πŸ˜‰

Today will be a good point if we win our next match πŸ‘

I don't think he's been "far worse" in any respect. There's been one game where we didn't look like scoring at all for 80 minutes, and Hogan fluffed what should be his bread and butter, right at the end.

We could have nicked almost every game 1-0, with the same general performances, and he would be the Messiah

Instead in some eyes he's " a very naughty boy "
Every woman every man
Everybody make a noise
We're the Brummie boys
Stand up, stand up .....
19:09, Sat 24 Oct
could have , the phrase we all use as football fans at times πŸ™‚

Fact is we didn't/ haven't nicked every game this season πŸ˜•

Bar one ...
Jim
19:17, Sat 24 Oct
I must be missing something - have they changed the rules? Does a goal in 'open play' carry more points value than a goal from a free kick or a corner?

What is this ridiculous obsession with scoring from open play? It seems to me some are just looking for some reason to point the finger at the manager.
19:19, Sat 24 Oct
Scoobers
could have , the phrase we all use as football fans at times πŸ™‚

Fact is we didn't/ haven't πŸ˜•

Predictable reply, saw it before I hit "post".

It's not that we didn't... it's that we were in all of the games, and fine margins ended up deciding the result.

Had Hogan scored, we would have walked away with a point or three. That's one individual event, by one individual player, that most likely decided the result of the game. Had he not had that third beer the night before, or if he did a poo before kick-off, he might have scored. Sounds stupid, but those are the margins I'm talking about.

Over the course of the season, we will score ones we shouldn't and come away with results when we don't deserve it. Similarly, we'll walk away with 0-0s when we should have won (i.e., today)

The team is organized. The squad has depth in the right places. The players are playing for each other. The performances are there DESPITE playing a different formation every week. I can't remember the last time we looked this balanced, flexible.

The goals will come, just like under Monk.
19:23, Sat 24 Oct
Jim
Ok fine, we’ve scored 3 goals in 8 games then. Suppose that’s brilliant now right?
19:24, Sat 24 Oct
Jim
Sounds like you're happy we're only scoring froms set pieces Jim ? Not sure three goals in eight games would raise anything but concerns.

It must be the manager though, we've been told this before πŸ˜‰

A goal in open play might have given us more points which I'm sure is what we would all like.