09:59, Mon 26 Oct
This is an unashamed plug for my new book, out today, called Project Restart. From the Prem to the Parks. How Football Came Out of Lockdown.[www.pitchpublishing.co.uk] By clicking on the link, you go straight to the publisher’s website with tabs to take you to all major booksellers. Some of them are UK taxpayers.

The book, which I started writing at the end of March, charts the progress of nine football clubs as they dealt with the closing down of the game until its tentative reopening a few weeks ago. There’s a list of them at the end of this message. I've allowed myself one brief chapter about our catastrophic return after lockdown!

It’s very much a book about football and football people – of all sorts – but, inevitably, there is some comment about wider political and social issues (and I know from a few responses to Hugging strangers that this isn't to the taste of all of you!!). One of the things the book deals with is the way in which the pandemic demonstrated football’s link with local communities and the importance of these links.

If you’ve read any of my stuff before, you’ll know that I try to maintain an optimistic tone. Without a trivialising a grim situation, I’ve looked for the light wherever possible. You can read the foreword here [radicalreadblog.wordpress.com]

Anyway, I hope you buy it and enjoy it – let me know if you do.

Cheers

Jon

The clubs are: Burnley, Swansea City, Tranmere Rovers, Forest Green Rovers, Solihull Moors, Royston Town, Stonewall FC, Northumberland Park Rangers, St Albans Girls U13.
11:19, Mon 26 Oct
I liked Hugging Strangers so have ordered your new book. I like books written by people who ask themselves the same question I ask myself, "why do I let the game in general, and my team in particular, matter to me?"
16:08, Mon 26 Oct
Good. Hope you enjoy it. I's different from Hugging Strangers in that it paints a much more general picture - but I hope it'll prompt some smiles and a few laughs, despite the fairly grim circumstances that prompted me to write it.
You can read the first chapter here for free! [www.pitchpublishing.co.uk]

Note the contents page - Chapter 10 is about us. It makes for grim but, I hope, entertaining reading!