16:46, Mon 26 Oct
Do you really believe it to be true, and that Farke would out him?
Jude Bellingham - "Once a blue, always a blue" “This is my Club, I love the Club to bits. I’d die for this Club”
16:48, Mon 26 Oct
Rab C Nesbitt
I do wonder what some were expecting , after the 6 months of last season when we were horrific.
Is it just me who expected us to address us shipping goals first and foremost under Karanka, and to have as many a points as we have or less?

I'm not saying anything about Karanka's managerial reign so far, or what I think it could be. It's way too early to answer either of those questions and it's certainly too early to judge how the season will compare to last season, albeit you'd expect that it can't really be much worse apart from relegation, so yes, I think it was always going to be better than last season.

But that doesn't mean that we can't have isolated views on each game as it when it plays out and the method in which it plays out.

I don't think many expected us to beat Norwich and I'd imagine the game played out as most would've expected, very little flair and being "hard to break down" which is becoming the new club motto.

But to go into any game at this level (a league where anybody can beat anybody) seeing 0-0 as a tangible success before a ball has been kicked in my opinion isn't what I'd hoped from a manager with the calibre of Karanka. They're not as good as Brentford IMO and we actually had a plan against them and beat them, picking up a clean sheet in the process?

Yes it's nice that it took Norwich so long to score a goal against us, but with very little intent of scoring ourselves, 1 goal was always going to bury us. Added to the fact that as previously pointed out, Norwich were barely in gear and had only won 1 more game than us, yes I'd have liked to see us have some sort of plan ourselves to try and score.

We weren't even trying to win set pieces high up the pitch or getting shots off to try and force corners. We were very content to just stay in our half. Although I find it bizarre that Karanka would apologise, if it is true then it validates the criticism really.

We’ve had another game since then, and played rather well. Things are coming along nicely.
17:20, Mon 26 Oct
I agree. QPR performance was much better and more promising.
18:16, Mon 26 Oct
Rab C Nesbitt
I do wonder what some were expecting , after the 6 months of last season when we were horrific.
Is it just me who expected us to address us shipping goals first and foremost under Karanka, and to have as many a points as we have or less?

Not just you. You are spot on. I love to watch good attacking football as much as anybody but some seem to have forgotten how bad we were. Also that by trying to play open expansive football overnight under such circumstances we are simply going to repeat the same mistakes as under our two previous such efforts/experiments and risk regularly getting stuffed. Its about context.
18:27, Mon 26 Oct
Rab C Nesbitt

I'm not saying anything about Karanka's managerial reign so far, or what I think it could be. It's way too early to answer either of those questions and it's certainly too early to judge how the season will compare to last season, albeit you'd expect that it can't really be much worse apart from relegation, so yes, I think it was always going to be better than last season.

But that doesn't mean that we can't have isolated views on each game as it when it plays out and the method in which it plays out.

I don't think many expected us to beat Norwich and I'd imagine the game played out as most would've expected, very little flair and being "hard to break down" which is becoming the new club motto.

But to go into any game at this level (a league where anybody can beat anybody) seeing 0-0 as a tangible success before a ball has been kicked in my opinion isn't what I'd hoped from a manager with the calibre of Karanka. They're not as good as Brentford IMO and we actually had a plan against them and beat them, picking up a clean sheet in the process?

Yes it's nice that it took Norwich so long to score a goal against us, but with very little intent of scoring ourselves, 1 goal was always going to bury us. Added to the fact that as previously pointed out, Norwich were barely in gear and had only won 1 more game than us, yes I'd have liked to see us have some sort of plan ourselves to try and score.

We weren't even trying to win set pieces high up the pitch or getting shots off to try and force corners. We were very content to just stay in our half. Although I find it bizarre that Karanka would apologise, if it is true then it validates the criticism really.

Just the week before, Derby went there, played exactly the same as us and got a 1-0 win. Entirely understandable that Karanka tried the same, no one would be saying anything negative if we had. I also happen to believe it's cobblers that he apologised (in an unironic way).
18:43, Mon 26 Oct
Bluestaines
Rab C Nesbitt

Not just you. You are spot on. I love to watch good attacking football as much as anybody but some seem to have forgotten how bad we were. Also that by trying to play open expansive football overnight under such circumstances we are simply going to repeat the same mistakes as under our two previous such efforts/experiments and risk regularly getting stuffed. Its about context.

Nobody has mentioned "open expansive football", nor did anybody expect us to play that way. But the two options aren't 'Play open and expansive attacking football', or hope for a 0-0 and don't attack one.

There is a middle ground where I imagine most clubs of our stature will be, where they'll be slightly cautious against Norwich but still hope to at least try to score a goal.
19:13, Mon 26 Oct
I thought we were well organised against Norwich but we can’t show that lack of ambition all season, especially as it developed in the second half.

I don’t think people are saying they wouldn’t like better and more attacking play (some signs of that the other day), just that we should be showing more patience - and the reaction to team selections and poor performance, is so far a far too overly negative reaction. It’s not being a ‘happy clapper’ or supporting whatever the team or club do (only Steve D does that), just a realistic assessment of where we are so far. I think our performances will improve in terms of all round game and our position will improve, but it’s going to be gradual.
19:23, Mon 26 Oct
Agreed 👍
Jude Bellingham - "Once a blue, always a blue" “This is my Club, I love the Club to bits. I’d die for this Club”