14:24, Sat 21 Nov
Great post.

Another comparison, Reading are currently beating Bournemouth 2-0, which as it stands, takes them 4 points clear at the top.

Is their squad worth more than ours? Wouldn't think so. New manager, came into that job a month later than Karanka.

That aged well
14:26, Sat 21 Nov
Clayton, San Jose, Gardner, Davis, Kieftenbeld and Sjnjic.

Not one of them is both athletic and technically good.

We may be better organised but, under pressure, opponents just know our midfield will not either dribble through them or pass through them. Whether it is Wycombe, second half, or Bournmouth we are sitting targets.

This has implications for Toral or McGree who are unlikely to receive the ball at their feet closer to goal.

And if we have the slow Juke, alone, up front, opponents know that hoofball over the top wont threaten them, so we get pushed back some more.
14:26, Sat 21 Nov
😂
Tell you what that crack is really moreish.
14:44, Sat 21 Nov
Fat Buddha
Great post.

Another comparison, Reading are currently beating Bournemouth 2-0, which as it stands, takes them 4 points clear at the top.

Is their squad worth more than ours? Wouldn't think so. New manager, came into that job a month later than Karanka.

That aged well

The point still stands though.

Even though they've lost, they're second with 22 points.

Squad similar cost, new manager etc etc.

Today's result makes little difference to the point.
14:46, Sat 21 Nov
I’m not sure Reading is a good comparison because I don’t think they’ll be there come the end of the season, personally
14:50, Sat 21 Nov
LH_4
Fat Buddha
Great post.

That aged well

It does. They’re not 4 points clear at the top tbf. Or even top
Jude Bellingham - "Once a blue, always a blue" “This is my Club, I love the Club to bits. I’d die for this Club”
14:53, Sat 21 Nov
I agree, think they'll gradually slide away unless they bolster in January.

But in context of my comparison, it was in relation to new managers having an immediate effect on teams.

In the same manner that somebody mentioned Rowett coming in and having an immediate upturn in form, Paunovic has come to Reading and didn't they win their first 7 or 8 games?

Karanka has definitely improved Dean and Roberts, but I don't think much else has improved so far.
14:55, Sat 21 Nov
Rab C Nesbitt
LH_4
Fat Buddha
Great post.

That aged well

It does. They’re not 4 points clear at the top tbf. Or even top

But the point was that their manager has come in and shown an immediate upturn in their form, thus having an immediate effect. Not just the odd point here and there that they "may not have got last season", he won something like the first 7 or 8 games.

Surely you can see that the point remains, even if they are top, second, etc. The league position and today's result is a second part to my overall point that it isn't too unrealistic to judge a manager on his immediate short term "bounce", as well as the long term.
14:58, Sat 21 Nov
LH_4
I agree, think they'll gradually slide away unless they bolster in January.

But in context of my comparison, it was in relation to new managers having an immediate effect on teams.

In the same manner that somebody mentioned Rowett coming in and having an immediate upturn in form, Paunovic has come to Reading and didn't they win their first 7 or 8 games?

Karanka has definitely improved Dean and Roberts, but I don't think much else has improved so far.

I agree. I just think this is where we must show patience as fans, some managers have immediate impact some take time. It’s obvious Karanka is a take time manager.
15:01, Sat 21 Nov
They’ve been scoring with most of their shots and have now lost 4 on the bounce, and he inherited a squad that required less building, and presumably more confidence because they were on nowhere near as bad a run of form as us.
We have been very hit and miss but I think some have forgotten how bad we were for the last third of last season
Jude Bellingham - "Once a blue, always a blue" “This is my Club, I love the Club to bits. I’d die for this Club”
15:02, Sat 21 Nov
They have now lost the four on the bounce though against bournemouth who we also lost against, stoke who we drew with Preston who we beat and Coventry who we drew with.

I think it was well documented that in those early wins they were really over performing.

Id hazard a guess that a few threads on reading boards (if they exist) will start to be making murmurs of Paunovic out.
16:19, Sat 21 Nov
JohnP
That's a good post. I can't really think of a manager at Blues who had a decent period of time and the plan took time to bed in and slowly improved (e.g. Klopp at Liverpool). There hasn't been many lately who have had much more than a season, but those who have have shown pretty early what the plan was and not really evolved from that in any great way.

I'm hoping Karanka will be different and I think there are reasons for optimism, he has the aura of a coach with a plan even if the evidence isn't clear at the moment.

Sorry but the silly chinese muppets are sucking the life out of this poor guy and the new players, they will all be sucked into the downward spiral of mediocrity or worse....and the latest results are showing...
Sent from Harb’s ipad, “My Doctor told me I should avoid any excitement, so I am still watching Birmingham”
16:24, Sat 21 Nov
Someone might have mentioned it, but weren’t Stoke bottom this time last year and now “they are gliding into the top six” (Pat Murphy R5L)..
New manager plus some players getting good results
Still at least we got a point with the mighty Cov......wow tick that off in the 3 year master business plan.....
Sent from Harb’s ipad, “My Doctor told me I should avoid any excitement, so I am still watching Birmingham”
16:42, Sat 21 Nov
It's another good comparison, but O'Neill was appointed last November so he's had a year.

Still agree with your sentiment though. He's done a good job so far.
22:07, Sat 21 Nov
JohnP
That's a good post. I can't really think of a manager at Blues who had a decent period of time and the plan took time to bed in and slowly improved (e.g. Klopp at Liverpool). There hasn't been many lately who have had much more than a season, but those who have have shown pretty early what the plan was and not really evolved from that in any great way.

I'm hoping Karanka will be different and I think there are reasons for optimism, he has the aura of a coach with a plan even if the evidence isn't clear at the moment.

Sorry but the silly chinese muppets are sucking the life out of this poor guy and the new players, they will all be sucked into the downward spiral of mediocrity or worse....and the latest results are showing...

I’m interested to hear how you have come to that conclusion.

I have no idea how you would get there
@Bluewurst1875