That's what I thought. You couldn't tell from the replays whether he actually touched him or not. Maybe my eyesight.
17:16, Sat 21 Nov
Solly got the ball and the vile cheat goes down like he's been shot
(bit like the grealish dive last season against Palace)
Embarrassing
17:16, Sat 21 Nov
Where in the rules does it say if there is contact it’s always a foul?
17:17, Sat 21 Nov
Haircut1000
mjd2505
Does anybody know the actual rule here? Clearly, he gets the ball first with his knee and then the player with his foot. So I don’t know what gets given

Don't think it says none of this applies if you kick the ball first. Think Villa unlucky thete hate to say it

Direct free kick

A direct free kick is awarded if a player commits any of the following offences against an opponent in a manner considered by the referee to be careless, reckless or using excessive force:

chargesjumps atkicks or attempts to kickpushesstrikes or attempts to strike (including head-butt)tackles or challengestrips or attempts to trip
If an offence involves contact it is penalised by a direct free kick or penalty kick.

Careless is when a player shows a lack of attention or consideration when making a challenge or acts without precaution. No disciplinary sanction is needed

Reckless is when a player acts with disregard to the danger to, or consequences for, an opponent and must be cautioned

Using excessive force is when a player exceeds the necessary use of force and endangers the safety of an opponent and must be sent off

A direct free kick is awarded if a player commits any of the following offences:

a handball offence (except for the goalkeeper within their penalty area)holds an opponentimpedes an opponent with contactbites or spits at someonethrows an object at the ball, opponent or match official, or makes contact with the ball with a held object

So to me it reads, if there is no contact with the man, it’s a clean tackle.

If there’s contact, it’s the discretion of the referee whether it’s either careless (FK only), reckless (FK and yellow), or excessive (FK and red).

Very much an argument it was a careless leg out. What an awfully written rule that is.
17:18, Sat 21 Nov
Rab C Nesbitt
Still galling that no one will call him out for a ridiculous dive. Legs , arms and body in the air from a slight tap to the shin and still writhing in pain 90 seconds later. Compare that to Juke heading the post last night.

It’s awful to watch. I hate seeing it. Most players do it though, it’s not a villa exclusive problem. I’m just glad we don’t have a lot of players that do it here
17:18, Sat 21 Nov
They’re all over Twitter moaning that greasy looked tired because he played for England twice.

The same bastards who no doubt gave Southgate pelters for not playing him.
Tell you what that crack is really moreish.
17:19, Sat 21 Nov
Never touched him,should have been booked for diving.
Mate it's effing embarrassing. The pundits contue to disappoint. Trezeguet should have been booked for the dive.
Not one mention of it and Johnson is right now still insisting it was a pen.
It's no wonder so many of us are losing interest in the game.
Rab C Nesbitt
Still galling that no one will call him out for a ridiculous dive. Legs , arms and body in the air from a slight tap to the shin and still writhing in pain 90 seconds later. Compare that to Juke heading the post last night.

Glenn Johnson on sky sports saying it’s a definite pen. Embarrassing.
17:20, Sat 21 Nov
Great to see VAR working properly. SoTv

Re: VAR

17:22, Sat 21 Nov
Super Hans
They’re all over Twitter moaning that greasy looked tired because he played for England twice.

The same bastards who no doubt gave Southgate pelters for not playing him.

This! Crass entitlement
17:22, Sat 21 Nov
Where in the rules does it say if there is contact it’s always a foul?

It doesn't, but that is how refs are interpretating the rules atm. Normally ANY contact constitutes a foul whether you've touched the ball first or not.
I'm just glad Oliver bucked the trend (or VAR for that matter).
The defender definitely touched his shins after touching the ball, but the theatrics from Trezeguet was wank and embarrassing.
17:31, Sat 21 Nov
It wasn’t a foul then, even if he touched him, as there was in no sense sufficient force to knock him over. I don’t know what ‘excessive force’ is anyway, or how it’s judged. ‘Reckless’ or ‘careless’ is not so difficult. In any case that tackle was none of those. I don’t care if the refs interpret is as ‘any contact’, they’re wrong, and in case there’s are loads of tackles where there is contact but no foul is given, certainly when there is a fight for the ball.
17:33, Sat 21 Nov
There are the odd times when I just love VAR.

Re: VAR

17:34, Sat 21 Nov
Keep telling us Oliver is our best ref god help us he loves to be controversial ie sheffield ghost goal that kept Vile up almost did it again today tried but VAR worked today .KRO