11:32, Sun 29 Nov
DES
Thanks for proving my point DES 👍
11:53, Sun 29 Nov
Rab C Nesbitt
Shows this type of football isn’t what our fans want and demand though. It’s not in our DNA, no matter how many times it’s said it is

Run around a lot and they’ll love you for it - Paul Caddis - 2019 👍
12:00, Sun 29 Nov
number8
Thanks for proving my point DES 👍
😁
Jude Bellingham - "Once a blue, always a blue" “This is my Club, I love the Club to bits. I’d die for this Club”
12:27, Sun 29 Nov
FattyBumBum
Rab C Nesbitt
Shows this type of football isn’t what our fans want and demand though. It’s not in our DNA, no matter how many times it’s said it is

Yeah I think if you asked 100 ex Blues players and a load of ex managers what Blues fans "want from a Blues team" they'd mostly say the same things. Organised, hard to break down, heavy tackles, don't stop running, show a lot of passion, etc.

Most of those should be the prerequisite of any decent football team, but I noticed from most of the social media reactions when we appointed Karanka that I saw a number of people saying that "it's a good appointment because we'll go back to being hard to beat and organised"

Again, I think most football teams should be organised and hard to beat, but when that becomes the sole aim of the team then I think all entertainment value goes out of the window.

I do agree that if we were winning games 1-0 then the football and performances would be more bearable, that's just the nature of football. But we aren't.

Starting to think that Karanka's reign will depend solely on how well he's backed in the market, which creates concerns of its own. He isn't a manager that can produce on a shoestring and if we haven't got the finances to back him further than the 11 players that have already been bought in, then you start to wonder how things will improve.

For me personally, I acknowledge that he's made the defence more secure and we do look harder to beat. But I don't want Dutch revolution Tiki taka, I'd just like to see us perhaps consider using the bench better and change the tactics a bit when things aren't looking great.
12:30, Sun 29 Nov
LH_4
FattyBumBum
Rab C Nesbitt

Yeah I think if you asked 100 ex Blues players and a load of ex managers what Blues fans "want from a Blues team" they'd mostly say the same things. Organised, hard to break down, heavy tackles, don't stop running, show a lot of passion, etc.

Most of those should be the prerequisite of any decent football team, but I noticed from most of the social media reactions when we appointed Karanka that I saw a number of people saying that "it's a good appointment because we'll go back to being hard to beat and organised"
You really think fans in the main are happy with the way we’re playing and it’s in our DNA?
😂😂
Jude Bellingham - "Once a blue, always a blue" “This is my Club, I love the Club to bits. I’d die for this Club”
12:37, Sun 29 Nov
I think if you showed people the current performances, they obviously wouldn't be happy with it.

But I think if you explained to them on paper what Karanka will bring, then most would've been happy. Most people were happy. It isn't a theoretical idea, it actually happened and people were happy with his appointment. The proof is in the pudding Rab.

Perhaps that was influenced by how bad we were before his appointment. But when you hear ex pros talk about us, that's what they describe. As referenced by FBB above.
12:39, Sun 29 Nov
👍
12:40, Sun 29 Nov
All clubs like players who work hard.
That alone isn’t enough as is shown by this board
12:44, Sun 29 Nov
5 people on a forum

15,000 people in a stadium saluting Kieftenbeld as he hacks down another midfielder.

Shit, there not even getting that atm, no wonder they are upset. They need to run round more and tackle.
13:07, Sun 29 Nov
DES
DES
number8
A million dollar question. I think it all hinges on results - people will stomach turgid football if you're winning. Eck's promotion season showed that. If we are mid table playing this stuff, AK wont last.
I didn’t find Alex’s promo season Turgid BECAUSE we were winning.

Kro

Fair comment. There was a season similar under Saunders too when we won around 13 away games if I recall correctly, most of them 1-0, but when such awful negative football as AK is peddling produces little or no result it's a double whammy and the fans won't put up with it when we return.
13:10, Sun 29 Nov
johnthefence
DES
number8
A million dollar question. I think it all hinges on results - people will stomach turgid football if you're winning. Eck's promotion season showed that. If we are mid table playing this stuff, AK wont last.

Kro

Fair comment. There was a season similar under Saunders too when we won around 13 away games if I recall correctly, most of them 1-0, but when such awful negative football as AK is peddling produces little or no result it's a double whammy and the fans won't put up with it when we return.

What if by next season it’s still as turgid but we are nicking more wins?
13:16, Sun 29 Nov
We can only dream of 8 wins and 22 goals by the 20th game this season :)
13:20, Sun 29 Nov
FattyBumBum
johnthefence
DES
number8

Kro

What if by next season it’s still as turgid but we are nicking more wins?

I'd find it more bearable to be frank, and would be more accepting of the means justifying the ends. I understand it's a "3 year plan" but have not yet seen anything to suggest that this team, including the 12 new signings, will be able to achieve it. I honestly believe we have floundered more in the last half dozen games and are actually now going backwards.
13:43, Sun 29 Nov
number8
He has got a free pass for this season I'm afraid, like it or not.

He doesn't get a free pass from me. I agree he needs more time and I'll not be calling for his head at the end of the season if we stay up with little improvement but... I will certainly judge him on what he does this season.

I stated on other threads what Rowett did within his first five games with us - and we were utter garbage when he arrived, at least equal to or worse than what Pep left. Monk also came in and had an instant impact. There is an argument that both became stagnant (although I think both were cut short by an oppressive board) and perhaps AK's slow method may bear more fruitful results. Personally, I believe he should be showing, certainly, within the season whole, a good degree of improvement in both the players we have and the playing style he curates and I will judge him accordingly.
14:01, Sun 29 Nov
I do think there is a over exaggeration of just how much AK needed to improve us defensively. Under Pep pre lockdown we had a couple of oddities (WBA and Leeds) but the prevailing issue was our disorganisation and goals conceded from set pieces which was Pep’s achilies heel.

After lockdown everything went wrong. We feel into a complacency that those games were dead rubbers from the board shipping out the squad players, a manager working his notice and a collective drop in the teams form and at least initially motivation.

Comparing AK to a November 2019 version of this team and Pep and there is little doubt we have gone backwards with a squad which is on paper far better. We have gone from a 5/10 championship team to a 3/10

Good post.

Exactly my thoughts. I remember under pep, specifically people saying this is some of the best attacking football we've seen down there for years.

Yes it went tits up but that's other factors that we don't know about. It's funny considering there was supposedly unrest in the camp under Pep, but if I was a player I'd have been more optimistic with the overall style THEN, over what we're seeing now.

Under Monk we didn't start great, but eveyone could see we were largely unlucky and you just felt it would click. Monk was very reassuring as well by sticking to the same setup weekly, confident that it would work...and it did.

Under Pep, we were all cautious and probably thought it was going to be an awful experiment, but we looked dangerous at times, surprisingly and you felt that with a few bits of extra quality here and there, cutting out silly mistakes, we could build on it. (Until the collapse and announcement of him leaving).

Under Karanka, as you point out we've put too much emphasis on improving the defence whilst going backwards ten fold in attack. Theres no confidence that there's one specific team we're confident in. It's weekly changes which don't show much confidence in a particular style or setup. The last person that did this was Lee Clark and he was fecking mental.