Brother Tam
Super Hans
Is that a direct copy/paste? If so and you didn’t tell me I’d say that’s a Cotterill interview.

Mind you, Karanka was born in Vitoria-Gasteiz.

Cotterill is from Cheltenham.

OK so Cotterill has a genuine excuse.
08:59, Sun 29 Nov
Waggeh
I don't think he rates his squad tbh.

I think you may be right, it may have only recently dawned on him the absolute monumental size of the task he has in front of him.
09:07, Sun 29 Nov
A good coach gets the best out the players at his disposal.

Saying this is my system and the players have to fit in doesn't work as well. As Gianfranco showed
09:23, Sun 29 Nov
I’m genuinely baffled here. What does this mean?
“We knew it was going to be really difficult and we had to be in the way we are today because had we approached the game in the way we intended to approach it would have been impossible to have even taken one point.”

Is he saying he would “like” to be more attacking, but that this would have ensured defeat?
There’s some other stuff as well about the better technical players being less “intense”
As I’ve said many times I want AK to be given time, but I do find some of his post match comments bizarre and worrying in equal measure

What he said was

We had to approach the game the way we did otherwise it would have been impossible to even take a poin

Which, whether you agree with it or not, makes perfect senset
09:26, Sun 29 Nov
Maybe this is the best he can get out of the players at his disposal, maybe they are that 'fragile' that if we lose a goal early in the game that is pretty much it.

Setting up to be ultra defensive is perhaps the only way not to concede at the rate we were at the end of last campaign with virtually the same personnel, building up confidence, getting the players to believe in what they're doing is right, it is not pretty, but we have to start somewhere.
09:27, Sun 29 Nov
On the balance of it Monk had a worse back 4 & GK and he didn’t have to go ultra defensive.
Tell you what that crack is really moreish.
09:29, Sun 29 Nov
And where is Garry now?
09:32, Sun 29 Nov
In my dreams.
09:36, Sun 29 Nov
He chose not to.

Karanka chose our current style at Boro and Forest. It's nothing to do with the quality of our players (otherwise why did he also do it at promotionn chasing teams), it's everything to do with the way he sets teams up.

Works if you're winning a fewe games ...
09:41, Sun 29 Nov
Scoobers
He chose not to.

Karanka chose our current style at Boro and Forest. It's nothing to do with the quality of our players (otherwise why did he also do it at promotionn chasing teams), it's everything to do with the way he sets teams up.

Works if you're winning a fewe games ...

Yeah agreed, it’s why I don’t buy the whole ‘he’s only doing it because the defence is crap’ justification. The defence is perfectly fine.
10:01, Sun 29 Nov
Yeah, he’s doing it because that’s what he does.
And again I’m surprised by Blues fans being surprised at what was really common knowledge. I’m still at the stage where I’m still seeing Blues where I expected them to be points wise and position wise. I will say we’ve been more defensive than I expected us to be and surprised we haven’t stuck to 4231, and we’ve scored less and conceded less than I expected but not massively.
Some seemed to think we’d be playing like Leeds of last season. It ain’t going to happen.
And finally not making excuses for him before that’s thrown at me, but the league is tough and more competitive than most will acknowledge. We’ve been slated for not beating Cov, Rotherham and Wycombe.
Coventry after drawing with us have beaten Cardiff and drew with Norwich.
Rotherham since playing us have lost some games but also beaten a Sheffield Wednesday side who beat us 3-0, beaten Preston and yesterday draw with 2nd in the table Bournemouth who’d won their last 3 games by 2 goal margins.
And Wycombe have only lost 1 in their last 7.
We need to realise how low we’ve finished these last few seasons
Jude Bellingham - "Once a blue, always a blue" “This is my Club, I love the Club to bits. I’d die for this Club”
10:29, Sun 29 Nov
Fair defences raised there but a few points nonetheless.
Coventry, sheff wed, Preston, Rotherham and Wycombe are still all below us in the table which considering we’ve scored 10 goals in 14 games would indicate in my book they aren’t good sides.
There will always be odd results here and there (Norwich had a huge injury list yesterday for a start), but it doesn’t change my opinion that in the game against us we had Coventry on a plate and our performance in trying to win the game was almost non-existent.
Wycombe have started to get a bit of organisation but they are still looking like a relegation side. They’ve won two games, one of which was against us when we produced an absolutely abysmal second half performance. I put that result solely on our approach personally.
Sheff Wed are not a great side this season and didn’t beat us 3-0. It was 1-0 due to a penalty which wasn’t in my opinion.
In a nutshell we have never truly tried to chase a win against any of these poor sides.
Nobody has ever claimed we could look like Leeds of last season, not even close in anything I’ve read but if there’s evidence to the contrary then fair enough.
We have gone backwards in performance levels since Brentford, Swansea, Preston and QPR. No doubt whatsoever.
If we can get results against those sides including wins here and there then we can be disappointed to have not beaten some of the dross in the division, or more appropriately not even tried to win some games. Not winning and not having a true go at winning are different things and we are in the latter bracket at the moment IMO.
You are right though, he is trying to turn an oil tanker around after the end of last season. That’s why I was on here with more than 10 games to do saying we could go down. I was laughed at by some, but there were plenty sweating by the end. It was a car crash. I could see we were shot to pieces but karanka was giving the impression he had restored a lot of confidence.
Read his comments after Preston and QPR. They were so much more upbeat than recent games. Something has changed, definitely.
10:44, Sun 29 Nov
I meant Rotherham beat Sheff We’d 3-0 after they have beaten us.
And I agree it’s disappointing we haven’t tried to win games rather than sticking to what we have got in some.
My main point being that we shouldn’t expect to beat anybody as standard. All teams in this league have to play well to do so it seems. It’s arrogant to think we will beat them, full stop. We aren’t good enough to do that without playing pretty well and nor are most teams.
It wasn’t meant as a defence of Karanka btw, just an observation of how this league is. I agree we’ve massively dipped from some of those better performances you mention.
Fair points from you as well though 👍
Jude Bellingham - "Once a blue, always a blue" “This is my Club, I love the Club to bits. I’d die for this Club”
10:47, Sun 29 Nov
We are currently part of the " dross " you refer to.
Give Leko a good lick of the lolly !!
10:49, Sun 29 Nov
generalBlue
We are currently part of the " dross " you refer to.
We’re almost perennially part of it. Unfortunately