21:33, Tue 12 Jan
Nikola Zigic
IanT
It lessens the effects of the virus on your body, so you are less likely to die or get long term damage.

It doesn't necessarily stop you from spreading the virus, which is why it's very important for those that are vaccinated to maintain social distancing and face covering.

Too early to tell on the second point yet.

Edit- what the guy above me said
No vaccine will stop you carrying and spreading it fully.
That's a fact.
You still need to do as we're being told to do now .
Have the vaccine , touch a contaminated surface, you can carry it and spread it
Jude Bellingham - "Once a blue, always a blue" “This is my Club, I love the Club to bits. I’d die for this Club”
21:33, Tue 12 Jan
Really nice to hear a positive story. Touch wood it works for your MIL
21:37, Tue 12 Jan
So when will you take your mask off and stop social distancing?
21:39, Tue 12 Jan
Bluesince62
IanT
mr_crosby
IanT
Haircut1000
Anyone worried about side effects?

Anyone worried about side effects should consider the alternative of lying in an ICU bed drowning in your own fluid.
Or other side of the coin being asymptomatic and not showing any symptoms at all?

And passing the virus on so that someone else can drown in their own fluid?

Everyone should grow the feck up and get the vaccine asap.

Most people don’t drown in their own fluid though do they?

True, but 80,000 have. If by having an injection and whatever small risk that brings saves even one more life (and it won't for a while yet) then bring it on.

And many more with signifcant lung damage.
The Belle of St. Trillions
22:52, Tue 12 Jan
Novakdjokovic
So when will you take your mask off and stop social distancing?

When R = 0.0001
23/01/20 Mad: I'll stop moaning now.
07:36, Wed 13 Jan
Mrs had it Saturday and had a slight reaction to the first jab.

Very sore arm, rigors, temp went to 37.7, felt like she was coming down with the flu. Paracetamol for two days to bring the temp down and felt fine again yesterday.

Small price to pay to know she now has some protection. She's a community nurse so has very regular contact with this horrible virus.

Second jab not until early April though.
08:21, Wed 13 Jan
they reckon about 10% have life changing long term health issues as a direct result of the virus.

Up to a third may have permanent lung damage.

This could cause another health crisis further down the road.
Luckily, the amount of heroin I use is harmless. I inject about once a month on a purely recreational basis. Fine. But what about other people less stable, less educated, less middle-class than me? Builders or blacks for example. If you're one of those, my advice to you is leave well alone. Good luck.
10:09, Wed 13 Jan
Rab C Nesbitt
Nikola Zigic
IanT
It lessens the effects of the virus on your body, so you are less likely to die or get long term damage.

It doesn't necessarily stop you from spreading the virus, which is why it's very important for those that are vaccinated to maintain social distancing and face covering.

That's a fact.

I don’t understand your first sentence and then your last mate.
“Oh Nikola Zigic”
10:34, Wed 13 Jan
Legal_Bluenose
they reckon about 10% have life changing long term health issues as a direct result of the virus.

I currently have it, this is slightly worrying.
10:48, Wed 13 Jan
Finchy
Legal_Bluenose

Info on Long Covid:

[www.nhs.uk]
23/01/20 Mad: I'll stop moaning now.
11:05, Wed 13 Jan
Finchy
Legal_Bluenose

You and me both, worrying times.
Tell you what that crack is really moreish.
11:39, Wed 13 Jan
Nikola Zigic
Rab C Nesbitt
Nikola Zigic
IanT

That's a fact.

I don’t understand your first sentence and then your last mate.
Both mean exactly as they read
Jude Bellingham - "Once a blue, always a blue" “This is my Club, I love the Club to bits. I’d die for this Club”
mad
13:29, Wed 13 Jan
They reckon about 40% of the over 80's have been reached so far with their first dose. Some have had both doses.

There will be many hard to reach over 80's who simply cannot get to Millennium Point and eagerly await instruction from their local GP surgeries

An interesting question will arise come mid-February there may be still 20% of over 80's not yet reached and you have supermarkets like ASDA opening up as a Vaccination Centre which is great. Should they push on and vaccinate 60 and 65 year olds before mid February or should they try to ensure supplies made available in batches to GP surgeries to ensure complete coverage of the over 80's as a priority? Clearly there will be some lag or overlap but arguably the latter approach should trump making the vaccine available to teachers, bus drivers and 55 year olds etc...

That 55, 60 and 65 year old bracket will be in excess of 10 million people and will take 6 weeks to vaccinate
13:38, Wed 13 Jan
mad
Someone I know got vaccinated in Harborne late last week - late 70s but in good health. This was simply because they could not get any more over 80s in and the surgery did not want to see doses or available time go begging. As such they started ringing around patients over 75 and he dropped lucky.

There will be huge overlaps. My Mum got the call last week but she had to refuse as the surgery wanted her to attend there for the Pfizer jab. This is just not possible for her so she'll hopefully get done when they get round to visiting care homes and/or house bound people with the AZ vaccine.
mad
13:47, Wed 13 Jan
Great that they're being proactive so as not to waste batches

The Oxford vaccine is the game changer as it can be (and already has been?) taken in small batches to care homes and presumably to housebound over 80's living in their own homes