17:21, Sun 17 Jan
DES
There was a good documentary about the big freeze in 1963 just before Christmas in BBC. It might still be on I player.

Was rather interesting as I was only born in 1979

Found it on YouTube

17:27, Sun 17 Jan
thethinblueline
There was a good documentary about the big freeze in 1963 just before Christmas in BBC. It might still be on I player.

Found it on YouTube

Will give that a look .... Cheers
DES
17:41, Sun 17 Jan
thethinblueline

Found it on YouTube

Yes 63 was unbelievable, it ended all commercial use of the canals, they were frozen for three months!

Kro
17:57, Sun 17 Jan
mad
mad
I'm guessing the Kop got bombed. Hitler was a dvb after all. The old old main stand got burnt down by firefighters. Lots of club records went up in smoke so they say but clearly they knocked something fairly substantial back up by 1947 and then replaced it again in the 1950's with the main stand we've got now.

Or maybe in 1945/46 the terrace in front of the gutted old old main stand survived and they just plonked a roof on top hastily and the remnants of a tunnel survived for the players to run out from.

Love it. Hitler as a DVB.
19:18, Sun 17 Jan
Mad I think you will find the M & B sign was at the Railway End the main stand was covered in corrugated iron,when the ball landed on the roof you had a shower of rust
mad
19:24, Sun 17 Jan
Yeah I knew that. There is footage of the Tilton Main Stand corner in that clip though about 30 seconds in

Tilton Rd School (or whatever it was called) I think is the building in the background above the snow capped roof of the very old Main Stand