19:18, Sat 16 Jan
Recent upload from British Pathe.

Blues v Portsmouth 25/1/1947. Snowball fights. No roof on the Tilton yet, the old main stand and Railway and no roof on the Kop after WW2 bomb/fire damage.

Fascinating viewing.

Matthews shows crowd as 30,000 so presume true figure not known.

19:32, Sat 16 Jan
Brilliant. Thanks for posting it.
19:39, Sat 16 Jan
That was posted on here recently, but thanks for posting - I watched it properly this time (mainly looking for DES). 😛

No gloves or tights though - what were the players thinking?
The Belle of St. Trillions
19:54, Sat 16 Jan
brilliant

the guy getting pelted with snowballs, the fore runners of the Zulu’s practising for Exeter away in 1991 !!!
20:01, Sat 16 Jan
ShoNuffIDo
Recent upload from British Pathe.

Blues v Portsmouth 25/1/1947. Snowball fights. No roof on the Tilton yet, the old main stand and Railway and no roof on the Kop after WW2 bomb/fire damage.

Fascinating viewing.

Matthews shows crowd as 30,000 so presume true figure not known.

wiki has it at 50,155. FA Cup 4th round
20:04, Sat 16 Jan
Looks a lot more than 30,000. 1947 was one of the worst winters on record. It snowed somewhere every day in the UK between January and March. I guess nobody cared after surviving WW2.
20:04, Sat 16 Jan
My Grandad would've been there that day. Don't think he missed many games at home between 1925/ 1973
20:10, Sat 16 Jan
Never a feckin pen.

We were probably wearing red shirts, in those days both sides changed in the Cup if there was a clash.

Pompey would win the title 2 years later and we were still in the 2nd so something of a shock.
20:25, Sat 16 Jan
That’s really great to watch. Around the time my Dad started going, refused to go when his Dad wanted to take him to see Vile and went to watch Blues instead!
20:30, Sat 16 Jan
My Grandad would've been there that day. He didn't miss many home games between 1925/1973.
20:31, Sat 16 Jan
Are you drunk?
Jude Bellingham - "Once a blue, always a blue" “This is my Club, I love the Club to bits. I’d die for this Club”
20:35, Sat 16 Jan
Brilliant.

Cheers
mad
21:59, Sat 16 Jan
At 1.23 is that the old old Main Stand or is that the Railway End?

Was chatting to an old bloke last year in a pub who used to live on one of the flats at back of Main Stand

Told me of all the bomb damage and of being able to watch Blues matches for free from the top floor of those flats so was wondering if there was a Main Stand in 1946 or had it been destroyed? Or was there no roof on it?

He used to go in the ground for free at half time collect up all the glass beer bottles in a sack take them home wash them all in a big sink and sell them back to the pubs by the ground the next day
22:05, Sat 16 Jan
mad
mad
At 1.23 is that the old old Main Stand or is that the Railway End?

Was chatting to an old bloke last year in a pub who used to live on one of the flats at back of Main Stand

Told me of all the bomb damage and of being able to watch Blues matches for free from the top floor of those flats so was wondering if there was a Main Stand in 1946 or had it been destroyed? Or was there no roof on it?

He used to go in the ground for free at half time collect up all the glass beer bottles in a sack take them home wash them all in a big sink and sell them back to the pubs by the ground the next day

Yes, that's the Main Stand I think. The Kop (seen at around 25 secs in) hasn't got a roof - I think that was bomb damage related. I don't know when the Main Stand was rebuilt after the nightwatchman incident with the petrol and the brazier - it was 1942 when it happened, so they'd had a couple of years after WW2 to rebuild it.
The Belle of St. Trillions
KC
22:05, Sat 16 Jan
mad
Gosh 1947. Year I was born!