07:54, Thu 18 Feb
The interview suggests that maybe Karanka has suffered some kind of breakdown.
I hope not but there's a fair amount of rambling and he doesn't look very well.
09:07, Thu 18 Feb
generalBlue
He's a broken man waiting for a payoff that for some reason his boss doesn't want to give him.

It appears to me that Dong is playing a dangerous game of Chicken with Karanka, hoping he will resign before he has to pay him off.

He has previous for this as it's exactly the same thing that happened with Zola. I remember after Zola's resignation with 3 games left he came out and said he had to sack himself.
09:23, Thu 18 Feb
I’m sure there are. The only reason I could see for sticking with him is the notion that further managerial change disrupts a changing room that has seen too much change n recent years.

That school of thought would argue that it takes a manager 2-3 season to sort it out and if that means taking a step down to take two forward then so be it.

Who would think like that? The supporters? Probably a small percentage, the one that does is the one that matters. The one that has the power. It is quite obvious to me that Dong is prepared to take us down because he is so arrogant in his self assuring assessment of the situation.

Most of us know the reality of the situation. Our ONLY chance of staying up is bringing in a manager that will change the playing formation and tactics to get the best out of the players we have. The new manger syndrome has saved plenty of clubs in the past, and whilst there’s no guarantees, it offers a greater chance than sticking with someone who guarantees league 1 football next season. How embaressing
09:28, Thu 18 Feb
The Blue Bear
I’m sure there are. The only reason I could see for sticking with him is the notion that further managerial change disrupts a changing room that has seen too much change n recent years.

That school of thought would argue that it takes a manager 2-3 season to sort it out and if that means taking a step down to take two forward then so be it.

Who would think like that? The supporters? Probably a small percentage, the one that does is the one that matters. The one that has the power. It is quite obvious to me that Dong is prepared to take us down because he is so arrogant in his self assuring assessment of the situation.

Most of us know the reality of the situation. Our ONLY chance of staying up is bringing in a manager that will change the playing formation and tactics to get the best out of the players we have. The new manger syndrome has saved plenty of clubs in the past, and whilst there’s no guarantees, it offers a greater chance than sticking with someone who guarantees league 1 football next season. How embaressing

I don’t think that there’s a word of that that I would disagree with.
The Belle of St. Trillions
09:35, Thu 18 Feb
Baloo
generalBlue
He's a broken man waiting for a payoff that for some reason his boss doesn't want to give him.

It appears to me that Dong is playing a dangerous game of Chicken with Karanka, hoping he will resign before he has to pay him off.

He has previous for this as it's exactly the same thing that happened with Zola. I remember after Zola's resignation with 3 games left he came out and said he had to sack himself.

If Karanka resigns Dong saves some face as well. To say this is a risky game for Dong to play is an understatement.
10:00, Thu 18 Feb
Stick. I was chatting with a couple of Millwall and Boro fans last night. The Millwall lads said there's plenty of games and all it takes is 3 games to see a difference, especially with the poor sides around us. This is the poorest league in many years and his words have given me a little bit of hope. They know more about getting relegated, than any of us and he is correct.

There's too many games left and variables. Nobody can look in the crystal ball and say that we are definitely down, yet.

The Boro fan said "abandon all hope".
10:03, Thu 18 Feb
Depends how long you've been around, saying "they know more about getting relegated than any of us" is just rubbish as for the rest....Hi Aitor how are you today?
11:00, Thu 18 Feb
foghorn leghorn
Stick. I was chatting with a couple of Millwall and Boro fans last night. The Millwall lads said there's plenty of games and all it takes is 3 games to see a difference, especially with the poor sides around us. This is the poorest league in many years and his words have given me a little bit of hope. They know more about getting relegated, than any of us and he is correct.

There's too many games left and variables. Nobody can look in the crystal ball and say that we are definitely down, yet.

The Boro fan said "abandon all hope".

I respect your opinion and at least you're prepared to go against the tide in saying what you think. I don't agree with you, because I can't see anything to suggest that we will do anything in three games, ten games, whatever.

We've scored 7 goals in the last 13 games (and have never really looked like scoring any more) gaining just 6 points.

That's quite incredible, however you look at it.

Expand that to the last 16 games - the same amount that we've got left to play - and that's slightly better, because that totals 12 points in those 16 games, with 11 goals scored. That's still disastrous, and the trajectory for those stats is downwards.
The Belle of St. Trillions
12:18, Thu 18 Feb
Spot on with what you've said!

I've been saying all season that we need to stick with a manager and give them time but after watching the last two performances (especially) the writing is on the wall.

The most frustrating part for me is that there are very few quality teams in the league, yet in recent performances we are making poor teams look ten times better than they really are.

The players cannot be blame free in all of this either - to name a few but not exhaustive recent performances from San Jose, Sanchez, Bela and Juke have been embarrassing.....we don't even seem to be willing to scrap and fight in games. Many would say that comes from the manager but surely as a professional you should take pride in your performances and give it your all!

On another point what must Cosgrove be thinking and why did we sign him!? With exception to last night Karanka plays 1 striker and after signing Cosgrove he persists to play Hogan and Juke......in my opinion with the personnel we have 4-4-2 is the most logical formation to play. The best we've ever got out of Hogan is when he plays as part of a 2 upfront and it suits Juke more to play in that system as well. It's quite clear we're incapable of keeping clean sheets, so why not try to more ambitious going forward?! Draws won't get us out of the situation we're in so why not try and win games.

Also if we get shot Karanka with no replacement lined up we'll end up with Gardner as temporary manager and Christ knows where that would take us
12:20, Thu 18 Feb
I am another one who was in the stick until Luton so I will hold my hands up and admit I was wrong in backing Aitor.

I think he is probably a nice guy but time to go as it is not working at all.
12:36, Thu 18 Feb
The Blue Bear

I constantly make a point of Dong makes business decisions, when he needs to make football ones - Getting rid of Monk was a business one for example. In business you would support your poorly performing employee, you would send them on training courses and only once they have demonstrated they aren't upto the job you then pull the trigger. Your logic is that he is stubborn, i just think he is thinking like a businessman not a football CEO.
SHA's Resident Estate Agent
13:08, Thu 18 Feb
The Blue Bear

I was on board with that way of thinking - bring in a manager, give him a few years to build a squad that can play how he wants it to and then slowly work our way up the table. I was happy to have a boring, quiet season and knew there would be plenty of setbacks whilst we adapted and learnt to play how Karanka wanted.

Bringing in different managers constantly and hoping to get lucky is no different to what Karanka is doing with his tactics now. It might work in the short term but more often than not, it won't. You have to put solid foundations in place and build something over time (like Brentford are doing or like Swansea did in the past). When a manager leaves, you find someone else who wants to play in a similar style and you continue working towards the same goal.

Unfortunately, that option is gone now. We can't slowly build over a few seasons because we're either changing the manager and starting again or getting relegated which will necessitate starting again anyway but from a lower level. The only way you could still hold on to the "not wanting to disrupt everything with a new manager" argument is if you believe Karanka can keep us up and I think even the happiest clapper must be having serious doubts about that now.
13:37, Thu 18 Feb
I was another in the stick before the Luton game which was woeful. I am fed up of constant change and the away performances gave me some hope.

I doubt we have anyone else lined up so I think sacking him before Saturday would be a mistake and guarantee defeat.

If we get a result Saturday then who knows. We need to pull out a massive win from somewhere. Underdogs against Norwich maybe that’s the one.

Six points and everything would look much brighter in a weeks time. Less than 3 I think he is a gonner.

One can always hope. Ferguson Kendall to name but two were a game away from the sack and went onto succeed.

Not comparing him to those but sometimes but a you bit of luck and momentum in this game can go a long way. We haven’t had much of late.

It’s a poor league in a strange season lack of pace and athleticism in forward areas has killed us any new manager still has that problem to solve.

I am Blues so never an optimist but I won’t except that relegation is inevitable we are no worse than a dozen teams in this league.

Just have a feeling we have played the change of manager card to often and our luck may not hold again.

I also don’t think we have the players to go 4 4 2: although cannot do worse than try at home I suppose.

I’ll go and get my tin hat.
14:19, Thu 18 Feb
Your point on Cosgrove and AK playing Juke and Hogan, Cosgrove was injured for the game last night, not available.
Just in the interests of fairness.
14:22, Thu 18 Feb
generalBlue
This. He needs sacking for the good for him but also the Club.
Jude Bellingham - "Once a blue, always a blue" “This is my Club, I love the Club to bits. I’d die for this Club”