14:31, Thu 18 Feb
Its nothing but a gamble to change it now. There's just as much chance of Pulis coming in and having a mare. We aren't in the position to be choosy, in our current predicament.

Aitor has at least tried something different, more recently. It hasn't paid off yet and we are always one mistake away from disaster, but I still have some hope, even if its only a faint glimmer.

We are in a similar position to 1994, when Fry looked absolutely clueless. Between December and the end of March, we won 2 games and people wanted to string Barry up from the floodlights and bring back TC. Then, in the last 10, we only lost once and won 8. It went right down to the wire, but the change in form was phenomenal. Keep the faith 🙏

Depends how long you've been around, saying "they know more about getting relegated than any of us" is just rubbish as for the rest....Hi Aitor how are you today?

They've been relegated to the 3rd level, on 7 occasions. Most recently in 2015, so yes, they do have more experience because we've been down there, only twice. Their supporters know a sinking ship when they see one.
14:39, Thu 18 Feb
Luton aside the performances haven’t been to bad of late and they probably should have won a couple in fairness.
But I just think there is a deep rooted mental block within the squad that is still there from the end of last season.
Definitely time for a fresh approach.
14:42, Thu 18 Feb
Scoot Mcgoot
Luton aside the performances haven’t been to bad of late and they probably should have won a couple in fairness.
But I just think there is a deep rooted mental block within the squad that is still there from the end of last season.
Definitely time for a fresh approach.

Yeah I agree, it's incredibly frustrating.

It's easy to get wound up and say that the players are all shit and to sack them all off but for the most part performances have been okay recently. The cowardly tactics won't be helping the players morale either imo.
Tell you what that crack is really moreish.
14:53, Thu 18 Feb
foghorn leghorn
Its nothing but a gamble to change it now. There's just as much chance of Pulis coming in and having a mare. We aren't in the position to be choosy, in our current predicament.

Aitor has at least tried something different, more recently. It hasn't paid off yet and we are always one mistake away from disaster, but I still have some hope, even if its only a faint glimmer.

We are in a similar position to 1994, when Fry looked absolutely clueless. Between December and the end of March, we won 2 games and people wanted to string Barry up from the floodlights and bring back TC. Then, in the last 10, we only lost once and won 8. It went right down to the wire, but the change in form was phenomenal. Keep the faith 🙏

There are a few differences between now and that season. First, Fry had just come in - he'd had 17 games before we started that run, and Karanka has now had 30. Second, he found a catalyst in Mark Ward. As soon as he came in (first match v Boro?) e looked a different proposition. I don't see that player who can make a difference and I certainly don't see the Fry 'attack' philosophy with Karanka (not that I was a massive fan of Fry). We scored 18 goals in those last nine matches - we've scored 3 more in 30 games this season. Do you see anyone or anything that might make that change?

Yes, it's a gamble to change it now, but I as it stands I think it's a cert that we go down.
The Belle of St. Trillions
14:58, Thu 18 Feb
Yeah, it's not really similar to the Fry situation I don't think.

Fry came in (I think) in December? He had plenty of chance to save us - pretty much relegated us beyond hope, and then we had a crazy run at the end which left people with the mistaken impression that he was unlucky.

Same as people forget that Lee Clark all but relegated us - yet they credit him for being a miracle worker because we drew at Bolton.
15:12, Thu 18 Feb
We have very limited players. Every player we have is short of 2 or 3 important attributes.

But... they're better than our appaling record. Which suggests this is not the right manager for these players at this time.

If we were midbtable I would say stick and let him have a full run next year. But we don't have that luxury.
15:13, Thu 18 Feb
Yeah I don't agree with the people who say 'Clark was bad but I'll always be grateful for Bolton away'.

First off we shouldn't have been there in the first place. Rowett proved that when he came in.

Secondly we only stayed up because of a dodgy pen given against Doncaster.

Don't get me wrong I get goosebumps thinking about it but I'm not giving Clark any credit for it.

If we do get relegated this season it will take the shine off it a bit even if the circumstances were somehow even more dire back then.
15:15, Thu 18 Feb
A gamble in what way ? How can it be any worse than it is now ?
15:23, Thu 18 Feb
Yes, quite. Mind you, that day at Bolton was the most elation I've ever felt as a Blues fan, so I'm still fond of the gurning, slack-jawed oaf.
The Belle of St. Trillions
15:29, Thu 18 Feb
I usually like to see a manager given at least a season and bit unless they're having a complete disaster, unfortunately for us he is.

Pearson or Cook for me.
DES
15:33, Thu 18 Feb
Brother Tam
Yes, quite. Mind you, that day at Bolton was the most elation I've ever felt as a Blues fan, so I'm still fond of the gurning, slack-jawed oaf.

That day was so memorable, Clarke was a full-on half-wit, but my God his passion that day was brilliant to watch!

kro
15:36, Thu 18 Feb
Its a similar position because no one trusts the manager and we bumped along in 23-24th place, for months. Games when we had the chances and end up with nothing, carried on for an eternity and then our form changed.

Our current form cannot get any worse, but it could raise up quickly when we finally win one.
15:45, Thu 18 Feb
I've defended Karanka but he needs to go. Even he knows that.

I wouldn't want a 'quick fix' of Pearson or Pulis though.

I'd go for a progressive young manager who will get us set up to win games, rather than setting up not to lose.

Someone in the mould of Bowyer, Karl Robinson, Darren Moore, Appleton etc.
Dong Ren Out.
15:57, Thu 18 Feb
Apologies I didn't know Cosgrove was injured :)

He must have a bad back from sitting on the bench :)
16:10, Thu 18 Feb
LondonBlue
I've defended Karanka but he needs to go. Even he knows that.

I wouldn't want a 'quick fix' of Pearson or Pulis though.

I'd go for a progressive young manager who will get us set up to win games, rather than setting up not to lose.

Someone in the mould of Bowyer, Karl Robinson, Darren Moore, Appleton etc.

Yep this is what I agree with. I wouldn't say no to Pearson but I'd much rather us take a gamble on a younger manager who's done decently well elsewhere, one who tries to set up the team to make chances and score goals, but mostly we need someone in that the players can be motivated by. I don't think these players would be upset if Karanka was sacked. If my manager at work was as dour and shruggy as he was, I wouldn't be working to my full potential either.

That's where I think the clamour for Cook comes from too. Fairly inexperienced, progressive style manager who's already had a good half season in the championship. Why not take the gamble?