09:41, Sun 21 Feb
barnieeee
Obafemi
I’m still sticking as I was yesterday.

I’m adding Wednesday to Wycombe as doomed after watching them today.

They have their CF looping Roberts’s esq. throws into the box as their attacking plan 😳

So we only need to get ahead of Rotherham to survive.

Let’s see where we are by Christmas before we chop another Manager. We have to beak the cycle.

I thought they looked awful when they beat us early in the season. They are just a mediocre team and lack little attacking threat. The type of team that can easily go down.

Wycombe, Rotherham, Luton for me though. Wouldnt be surprised if Preston get drawn down.

But no way sticking, I feel we have competed in the last few matches but the non-existent goal threat is still a problem and the cowardly substitution today. Decisions like that will cost you more points than they save. So any time we take a lead we know we will be under the cosh and only a matter of time before they equalise.

An attainable manager could do a lot more with the players we have - Karanka just isn't working

“So any time we take a lead we know we will be under the cosh and only a matter of time before they equalise”

This sums it up for me AND he did it against 10 men ffs!!
Including injury time there were still 20 minutes to go.
I’m not even bothered, as some have said, about trying to get a 2nd goal.
The best way of seeing out a game we were comfortably controlling against 10 men was to keep on playing as we were. Stretch the play - wingers, and play sensible controlled football with FOOTBALLERS like Halillovic and Harper (and the wingers)
Instead we shift Harper out to accommodate the truly shocking MSJ, and invite them to attack us and try to equalise!
It was the only action that was ever going to see us concede
Madness. Cowardly. Stupid. Confidence-sapping. Gutless. Clueless
09:41, Sun 21 Feb
Well here's my two penneth. I think we should stick with AK. I think we should all, fans, players, board stick with AK and firmly support and back him for the rest of the season and beyond. I know, its mental, its like thinking beyond the next few games and results and even probable relegation at a long term strategic level.

Here's why:

He was brought in with a 3 year plan in mind, this season was never about anything other than building towards that, ok we didn't expect to be in such a bad position and in such bad form, nevertheless there has been a churn of players in the window and some bodies (i.e. Friend, Clayton) have been bought in perhaps more for squad depth and dressing room support than for actual ability. AK has had the luxury to experiment with formations and tactics to see what works and more importantly which players work and can adapt. Add on to that there has been precious little time in terms of pre season and training in between games to help to work on this. The result is that results have been sacrificed but what we have seen in the last few games (Luton excepted) is the semblence of a tactical plan to suit our squad and it seems that AK is now picking his strongest starting XI (give or take). It probably is 50/50 if we go down, I'd say we need 5 wins, there are some sh1t teams round the bottom and the @rse has fallen out of some other sides in the league recently (e.g. PNE, QPR) so we have plenty still to play for.

Next reason, can we please just have some stability throughout the club. If we have learnt anything over the last 4 years since Rowett was sacked is that chopping and changing management (and I'm including Dein and Speakman in this too) is not good for the team and has been a significant contribution to the current situation. AK has had time to develop and assess the squad he should be afforded the time to continue this work and an assessment can then be made at the end of the season. Sack him now and bring in Pearson/Pulis/or whichever other mangerial merrygorounder currently out of work and it might keep us up, but they've still got to familiarise themselves with the players and find their feet. And if it doesn't work we get relegated anyway. Plus sacking AK will involve a hefty pay off we could do without.

Yes we're sh1t now, but lets face it, we've been sh1t for years and that's not AK's fault. We've got some good players, some average ones and some sh1t ones. The composition of the squad and its skewed balance in quality is again a result of bad managerial appointments and decision of the previous 4 years. Lets just have some stability and consistency in approach to player and recruitment for a period (say 3 years) and see where it gets us.
09:53, Sun 21 Feb
Angel_Blue
A better question would be, is there anyone who relishes another managerial change? Resounding no from me.

Alternative question, is there anyone out there who we could realistically get in that would guarantee turning our fotunes around? Again, resounding no from me.

Cook? Relegated last season* albeit with a deduction but still didn't pull off a great escape
Pulis? Got sacked from Wednesday after having no impact
Pearson? Had the future Champions almost relegated, relegated with Watford
Gardner? See Pulis, see our run of defeats last season

Yes, I relish another managerial change because for the majority of the time Karanka has been the manager we have had less stability, direction and success than if we had no manager at all. Many of these players were consistently better under other managers than they have been since he arrived - he has devalued our players. He has a warped view of football tactics skewed massively towards over-defensiveness yet our defensive record is very poor and he doesn't seem to understand that you need to take risks defensively in order to achieve the overly generous three points for a win on a regular basis, because those who do will leave the others behind thanks to the maths involved.

As for Pearson and Watford, I think you're incorrect to state that he was 'relegated with Watford'. They were safe when he was sacked then went down after he was sacked - two games later.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Pearson was appointed Watford manager on 6 December 2019 on a season-long contract. He was their third manager of the season after Javi Gracia and Quique Sánchez Flores.[86] On 29 February 2020, with Pearson as manager, Watford defeated league leaders Liverpool 3–0. This was the first time in 44 games that Liverpool had lost in the Premier League.[87]

On 19 July 2020, Pearson was sacked with two games remaining in the 2019–20 season. Watford were seven points adrift at the bottom of the league when Pearson took charge, and three points above the relegation zone when he was sacked.[88][89] Following Pearson's sacking, Watford went on to lose their remaining two games and were relegated.[90]
10:02, Sun 21 Feb
Slightly Turbid
what we have seen in the last few games (Luton excepted) is the semblence of a tactical plan to suit our squad

What is this tactical plan that you have seen? Can you put it into words?
10:03, Sun 21 Feb
The 4-1-4-1 / 4-3-3 that has been played recently, especially since Harper's come in.
10:15, Sun 21 Feb
Is the formation the only part of this tactical plan that you have observed or is there any more to it, tactically, than just the formation?

I could tell you the tactical plan that I have observed consistently from Karanka (not just the last few games) and the formation is the least relevant part of it, especially as he has regularly tinkered with the formation while the tactical plan remains the same.
10:38, Sun 21 Feb
I still want him out but if he backs up yesterday with another couple of wins in the next 4-5 games then we have to stick.

One swallow doesn't make a summer and the opposition were awful yesterday.

Still, credit to the players too.
“Oh Nikola Zigic”
DES
10:48, Sun 21 Feb
TQ Blue
Is the formation the only part of this tactical plan that you have observed or is there any more to it, tactically, than just the formation?

I could tell you the tactical plan that I have observed consistently from Karanka (not just the last few games) and the formation is the least relevant part of it, especially as he has regularly tinkered with the formation while the tactical plan remains the same.

TQ, do you understand that statement? If so how does it compare with Shankleys, often quoted remark.. football is a simple game!

Kro
10:55, Sun 21 Feb
DES
DES
TQ Blue

TQ, do you understand that statement? If so how does it compare with Shankleys, often quoted remark.. football is a simple game!

Kro

Which statement? The one I made which you have quoted? Yes I understand my own statement.

I'm not sure what your point about Shankley's quote is - could you elaborate please? If I try to guess - are you suggesting that a 'tactical plan' doesn't need to go beyond setting out a formation? Then I would disagree and I would assume that that was not what Shankley was suggesting either. Otherwise, who would need a team manager if their only task was to decide upon a formation?
10:57, Sun 21 Feb
Slightly Turbid
Well here's my two penneth. I think we should stick with AK. I think we should all, fans, players, board stick with AK and firmly support and back him for the rest of the season and beyond. I know, its mental, its like thinking beyond the next few games and results and even probable relegation at a long term strategic level.

Here's why:

He was brought in with a 3 year plan in mind, this season was never about anything other than building towards that, ok we didn't expect to be in such a bad position and in such bad form, nevertheless there has been a churn of players in the window and some bodies (i.e. Friend, Clayton) have been bought in perhaps more for squad depth and dressing room support than for actual ability. AK has had the luxury to experiment with formations and tactics to see what works and more importantly which players work and can adapt. Add on to that there has been precious little time in terms of pre season and training in between games to help to work on this. The result is that results have been sacrificed but what we have seen in the last few games (Luton excepted) is the semblence of a tactical plan to suit our squad and it seems that AK is now picking his strongest starting XI (give or take). It probably is 50/50 if we go down, I'd say we need 5 wins, there are some sh1t teams round the bottom and the @rse has fallen out of some other sides in the league recently (e.g. PNE, QPR) so we have plenty still to play for.

Next reason, can we please just have some stability throughout the club. If we have learnt anything over the last 4 years since Rowett was sacked is that chopping and changing management (and I'm including Dein and Speakman in this too) is not good for the team and has been a significant contribution to the current situation. AK has had time to develop and assess the squad he should be afforded the time to continue this work and an assessment can then be made at the end of the season. Sack him now and bring in Pearson/Pulis/or whichever other mangerial merrygorounder currently out of work and it might keep us up, but they've still got to familiarise themselves with the players and find their feet. And if it doesn't work we get relegated anyway. Plus sacking AK will involve a hefty pay off we could do without.

Yes we're sh1t now, but lets face it, we've been sh1t for years and that's not AK's fault. We've got some good players, some average ones and some sh1t ones. The composition of the squad and its skewed balance in quality is again a result of bad managerial appointments and decision of the previous 4 years. Lets just have some stability and consistency in approach to player and recruitment for a period (say 3 years) and see where it gets us.

A great case for sitting on your hands, doing sod all and hoping it works, then saying "well it wouldn't have been any different if we'd changed" - If Sheffield hadn't been deducted 6pts they'd still be 3pts clear of us...yes...the so called worst team we've played and here you all are thinking AK has had some miraculous epiphany and will take us on a run of games....Maybe Tuesday will wake you up to his inadequacies again
11:18, Sun 21 Feb
Angel_Blue
Mr Blue Sky
Still needs to go, that win should not mask over anything. Set up a good side and formation but ruined it with bizarre substitutions again, which may have cost us the three points

He made changes to strengthen our defence to hold onto a lead. What is controversial about that? And it worked!

Never used the word controversial, key wording was bizarre.

Yes, negative substitutions almost cost us the win.when you have a opponent on the ropes, you finish the job, that is what a winning mentality does

If they had equalised with that header late on, this would be a completely different conversation
11:44, Sun 21 Feb
Same for me. Whilst I never want us to lose I just cannot see us beating Norwich and I suspect the heat will be back on him to go
12:21, Sun 21 Feb
Valleyblue
Slightly Turbid

Here's why:

A great case for sitting on your hands, doing sod all and hoping it works, then saying "well it wouldn't have been any different if we'd changed" - If Sheffield hadn't been deducted 6pts they'd still be 3pts clear of us...yes...the so called worst team we've played and here you all are thinking AK has had some miraculous epiphany and will take us on a run of games....Maybe Tuesday will wake you up to his inadequacies again

I totally accept and understand your viewpoint, and the viewpoint of the majority of fans. The football's negative and defensive and we're crap. I accept that some of the responsibility for that is with AK and that one way of addressing this is to give him the boot. The title of the post is about sticking instead of twisting, the premise of my argument - especially at this point in the season - is to say lets stick with him because we've twisted time and time again and continued to go backwards. I am not blind to how poorly we are performing as a team and as individuals though its better than how we finished last season and there have been semblances of improvements in performances (Luton excepted) in recent games which has coincided with AK settling on what seems to be his preferred formation and personnel and the arrival of Harper. I think we should treat Tuesday as a free hit, though realistically we should set up to not get beat. Saturday home to QPR however is a must win (for how many seasons have we been saying that!).
12:46, Sun 21 Feb
We also put ourselves further into the black hole of debt, if we keep going down this road. It only £100 million, so far.

Chuck another 10 mil down the plug and write off another 6 months, it won't do any harm. We just rinse it and repeat when the next manager's face no longer fits. What could possibly go wrong?
Pearson to be announced as Bristol City's new manager shortly, according to reports