23:44, Sun 21 Feb
Just watching the closing credits to motd2 and it showed the referee with a circular red card. Why was this ever a thing and then why was it dropped?
23:46, Sun 21 Feb
It was so that the ref didn't flash the wrong card by accident when getting one out of his pocket, he just felt for the round shape. They weren't compulsory.
23:50, Sun 21 Feb
I thought they just kept them in separate pockets and in the event they did produce the wrong card its not as if they had to stick to it. You just do the signal to cancel the card and produce the right one.

Might be why they were swiftly abandoned.
23:53, Sun 21 Feb
I always thought that refs kept yellows in top pocket, and red in back pocket of shorts so there was never any chance of showing the wrong colour (also, so what if they do? Surely they could just say 'oops, I accidentally showed you a yellow you greasy looking Villa player, have a red one instead').
00:08, Mon 22 Feb
A Google search seems to suggest that they were used to aid players, coaches and spectators that may have trouble differentiating between red and yellow to know which card had been shown, which actually makes sense but then not sure why it was dropped as it was adding benefit.
00:09, Mon 22 Feb
The tech improved. Now of course they have little wallets and the teams written out on the cards.

There was a brief period in the mid-80s when they abandoned the cards. I have no idea why anyone thought that could possibly have been a good idea, it just led to confusion as to who had been booked, and the ref still had to point to the tunnel for a sending-off. Maybe it was a mad attempt to curb crowd trouble.
05:10, Mon 22 Feb
Just give them the Red Right Hand
05:46, Mon 22 Feb
There was definitely an incident where it was a bit of a furore because the wrong one was shown. My understanding it was so the red could feel the difference then they realised they should just put them in different pockets.
08:00, Mon 22 Feb
Radical idea why not have one card red one side yellow the other
08:33, Mon 22 Feb
No more Black and White Tele's
08:34, Mon 22 Feb
Ratty

I put the same question back to you without the word 'not'.
11:36, Mon 22 Feb

Please tell me that’s not a serious question?
11:43, Mon 22 Feb
bluearmyfaction
There was a brief period in the mid-80s when they abandoned the cards. I have no idea why anyone thought that could possibly have been a good idea, it just led to confusion as to who had been booked, and the ref still had to point to the tunnel for a sending-off. Maybe it was a mad attempt to curb crowd trouble.

Yeah, I remember that spell where they did away with the cards. It was confusing.

We had it at Everton - I think in our last season in The Prem. Peter Walton...that well known expert on refereeing on BT Sport...the same one who gave Liverpool that penalty against us for David Ngog diving...called on of our players over, booked him and pretended to show him a yellow card.

Turned out the daft get had forgotten to bring his cards out of the dressing room with him.
17:56, Mon 22 Feb
Spike
bluearmyfaction

Yeah, I remember that spell where they did away with the cards. It was confusing.

We had it at Everton - I think in our last season in The Prem. Peter Walton...that well known expert on refereeing on BT Sport...the same one who gave Liverpool that penalty against us for David Ngog diving...called on of our players over, booked him and pretended to show him a yellow card.

Turned out the daft get had forgotten to bring his cards out of the dressing room with him.

Not only pretended to show a yellow card that he hadn't got but then pretended to put the card back in his pocket