13:41, Mon 13 Sep
Any refs on here? I finished my course in the summer and I've started reffing kids football, as I'm a relatively responsible adult I'm mainly doing u14s/u13s at 11 a side.

The course is really lightweight now, it's no longer a massive test of 'The Laws' and is much more about how to deal with people on the pitch. Really interesting, of course what is most interesting is that it seems refs are the only people who read the laws, and players/coaches/managers/parents/spectators don't really understand how the laws are implemented on the pitch.

I did call myself a tosspot when I looked in the mirror though.
13:56, Mon 13 Sep
There was a match at the Albion a couple of months ago. There was a penalty, the player hit the post with the keeper going the other way, the ball rebounded back and the penalty taker screwed it wide.

I can't remember if it was the commentator or the ex-player but one of them said – it wouldn't have counted because the ref has blown up but I can't really see why.
14:02, Mon 13 Sep
Touching the ball twice.
14:30, Mon 13 Sep
That was actually a plot point for a Roy of the Rovers story. Why Racey ducked a rebound from the bar for an out of form striker to try to score.
14:30, Mon 13 Sep
Micky Darrell
There was a match at the Albion a couple of months ago. There was a penalty, the player hit the post with the keeper going the other way, the ball rebounded back and the penalty taker screwed it wide.

I can't remember if it was the commentator or the ex-player but one of them said – it wouldn't have counted because the ref has blown up but I can't really see why.

An opposition player has to touch it before the team taking the penalty can touch it again.
14:32, Mon 13 Sep
Homer
Micky Darrell

An opposition player has to touch it before the team taking the penalty can touch it again.
Not sure that’s right. In fact I’m certain it’s not
Jude Bellingham - "Once a blue, always a blue" “This is my Club, I love the Club to bits. I’d die for this Club”
14:32, Mon 13 Sep
Homer
Micky Darrell

Not quite right, anyone can touch it next apart from player who took the penalty (because that'd be classed as a 'double touch')

Eg. Deeney takes pen, hits post, Deeney cannot be the next player to touch it otherwise it's a free kick to the defending team, every other player on the pitch is free to touch it. Hogan could put in the rebound for example.
14:47, Mon 13 Sep
Whilst we’re on this topic one thing I still haven’t figured out.

I used to run the line for my daughter’s team before it folded recently, but had a few instances where I’d flag for off side when a player touched the ball (obvs after previously being offside say 20 yards back). Is then the free kick taken from the initial offside position or where they touched the ball?

I think it’s the latter?
14:48, Mon 13 Sep
Le Mod
Homer
Micky Darrell

Not quite right, anyone can touch it next apart from player who took the penalty (because that'd be classed as a 'double touch')

Eg. Deeney takes pen, hits post, Deeney cannot be the next player to touch it otherwise it's a free kick to the defending team, every other player on the pitch is free to touch it. Hogan could put in the rebound for example.

Referee here. Spot on
14:49, Mon 13 Sep
Is the free kick taken from the initial offside position or where they touched the ball?

The initial offside position (at the time the ball was played to the player who was offside)
14:53, Mon 13 Sep
Le Mod
Is the free kick taken from the initial offside position or where they touched the ball?

The initial offside position (at the time the ball was played to the player who was offside)

👍
14:54, Mon 13 Sep
Not knowing the laws is quite common, you get it a lot down the Blues too, most common ones:

People screaming offside from throw-ins
People screaming offside from Goal kicks
People screaming that the majority of the ball is over the quadrant on a corner
15:03, Mon 13 Sep
Not knowing the laws is quite common, you get it a lot down the Blues too, most common ones:

This one always makes me smile, our Saturday side had a lad who could hit the ball from a goal kick to the edge of the opposite penalty area. The amount of goals we scored from that as our forwards stood near their box on a goal kick, collected the kick and scored while the opposition defenders were on the centre circle arms up for offside was brilliant. Only worked once a match though 😁
15:05, Mon 13 Sep
I qualified as part of a DoE course I did about 17 years ago, was very much laws based then, each module was a different section of the handbook.

Had Andre Mariner into our course as a special guest the DVB
15:14, Mon 13 Sep
Le Mod

Yes I get those ones - but the basic ones, like 'I got the ball first' or 'why is that a foul when you didn't give the same thing over there' for two different things.

A lad tried a slide tackle from behind on a player who had got away from him, missed him completely and the lad with the ball carried on running. The manager 'Thats a foul ref, intent!'. I'm not going to give a free kick for a foul because he didn't touch him and the player carried on with the ball anyway, so even if it was a foul it would be an advantage.

But then a player from his team does a slide tackle that causes the opposition player to jump over him, and he then loses the ball, and I blow up that *is* a foul and a free kick, and the manager goes potty on the sidelines because to him it's the same as the other one.

I'm not going to spend 5 minutes explaining the law, so I just have to shrug it off but the manager marks you down then and spends the rest of the game arguing every thing you do.

Anyway they should make players do the refs course.