12:46, Mon 18 Oct
Bluewurst
Jameron Cerome
Entering a bus lane is an offence.
Parking on the pavement as long as it is not in a dangerous position, blocking the road or driven on the pavement is not an offence.

Exactly- which is so wrong. I know I “did wrong” - the source of my frustration is that vehicles can park on a pavement, completely obstructing it, without consequence.

No they can’t

Call the police or call 101

It will be dealt with.

take a date stamped photo of them on the pavement and get in touch with police via the 101 livechat and they will give you the email of who to contact

they will get a ticket if it clearly shows them blocking the pavement
12:47, Mon 18 Oct
NouCamp

Hopefully for the Swansea game, that'll teach them
13:03, Mon 18 Oct
NouCamp

Hopefully for the Swansea game, that'll teach them

I'm not sure they deserve that strong a punishment.
15:39, Mon 18 Oct
Rab C Nesbitt
On the road. People have brakes and steering wheels to avoid your car

If you parked on the road on the estate where I live you wouldn’t be able to drive down the street.

I understand the pavements need to be clear as much as possible, but that’s an impossible task in plenty of places imo.

Parking further away as mentioned in this thread is also not viable in many scenarios, and could be dangerous depending on the area.
Tell you what that crack is really moreish.
LBN
17:00, Mon 18 Oct
Birmingham is horrendous for cameras. speed, traffic light, bus lane and green zone all tightly monitored, 1 moment lapse of concentration and you're getting fined.
Birmingham city Council must have some top notch staff Christmas parties
06:30, Tue 19 Oct
Super Hans
Rab C Nesbitt

If you parked on the road on the estate where I live you wouldn’t be able to drive down the street.

I understand the pavements need to be clear as much as possible, but that’s an impossible task in plenty of places imo.

Parking further away as mentioned in this thread is also not viable in many scenarios, and could be dangerous depending on the area.

So the real issue is that we have too many cars
06:47, Tue 19 Oct
no the housebuilders rinsed the land to put as many houses as possible on, with no thought to how the people will actually live on the estate. my estate was built by the same builders and guess what - same scenario.
BCFC - Letting me down for 49 years
06:49, Tue 19 Oct
Newbs
Super Hans
Rab C Nesbitt

So the real issue is that we have too many cars

👍

We are, relatively, well off.
We used to have one car per family.
Now, very often, we have one car per person.
23/01/20 Mad: I'll stop moaning now.
06:56, Tue 19 Oct
Robert Hopkins
no the housebuilders rinsed the land to put as many houses as possible on, with no thought to how the people will actually live on the estate. my estate was built by the same builders and guess what - same scenario.

Any new development I've seen near me (houses not flats) have all got space for one car
07:07, Tue 19 Oct
A lot of new builds don't have any parking spaces or, as you say, space for one car. Most households have at least 2 cars.
But the main problem is the width of the road they put in between the houses - households and visitors have no choice but to put 2 wheels on the pavement which then becomes a hazard for the blind.
Do you ever ask yourself
Is there a Heaven in the sky
Why can't we get it right
Cause we all live under the same sun
We all walk under the same moon
Then why, why can't we live as one
07:10, Tue 19 Oct
BluenoseMo
A lot of new builds don't have any parking spaces or, as you say, space for one car. Most households have at least 2 cars.
But the main problem is the width of the road they put in between the houses - households and visitors have no choice but to put 2 wheels on the pavement which then becomes a hazard for the blind.

To me,"most households have at least 2 cars" is the problem.
07:33, Tue 19 Oct
Tbf, most households the husband and wife both work now - and not many of us are lucky enough to be able to do the commute by foot/bike/bus etc.
08:00, Tue 19 Oct
and due to the rising cost of houses, children are staying at home longer well into their working life for which they will invariably need a car.
BCFC - Letting me down for 49 years
08:01, Tue 19 Oct
Also true.
08:07, Tue 19 Oct
On the other hand, many in the smoke are eschewing cars in favour of Uber et al. It does not save on the traffic, but does on the parking.

The long-term idea of some is self-driving cars to which people will subscribe. The self-drivers will form an intelligent network that lines up cars in the places where they are needed. But I wonder if the pandemic has shifted the commuter culture to an extent where that idea is already redundant.