07:07, Mon 18 Oct
I confess I am becoming more and more concerned about our plight this season. Defensively whilst we never will be promotion potential with the current stalwarts it is our lack of goalscoring that keeps me awake at night, over a season where are the goals going to come from in sufficient numbers?

Juke & Hogan both have historically had a run in the them but Hogan's was during his loan spell and at Brentford in 2017. Bowyer doesn't seem entirely enamoured with Scotty so it is hard to see a reversal of form. As for Juke his runs are harder to predict but usually reappear when we are in peril and play 442 and as father time continues to trundle along there is not guarantee that he is not spent already.

Aneke is 28 and has never scored regularly in his few chances in this division, in fact aside from last season he was hardly prolific in league 1. We know what Deeney could do if fit but that if seems more questionable now than a couple of months ago.

Then the midfield. Chong I don't believe has ever scored a senior goal, whilst this is bound to change, despite being consistently our best player he has barely registered a shot on target. Sanchez's return will be welcomed for his creativity but he managed the same amount of goals as Toral last year and historically has not scored many whilst plying his trade in the Spanish second division.

Bela is probably our most likely midfield goalscorer. He is stuck at wingback. Gardner should be that midfielder who links solidity with some goalscoring prowess but in an average season he manages 2 and his best return is 4.

Ryan Woods hasn't scored a league goal since 2017. Sunjic's shooting is appalling except for 1 or maybe 2 worldys a season at best.

Mcgree may have something in his locker but is unlikely to feature much now before he returns to the US. Graham scored loads last year, which could be an aberration, but he doesn't play so we will not find out.

There seems nothing in the reserves, no youth player coming off the ranks, Simmonds who we had high hopes for doesn't seem likely to feature.

Dean, Roberts and Pedersen are more likely to outscore our midfielders which is a positive of sorts. Otherwise what do we do, where are the goals coming from?
07:24, Mon 18 Oct
And between his throws and crosses, Roberts is our most consistent creator. We can moan about the defence all we like but it’s the other end that is the bigger problem.
07:35, Mon 18 Oct
To simplify this. Juke generally only scores with his head and we’re not crossing it. Hogan generally scores tap ins and he’s missing them. Aneke has an awful miss percentage. Deeney isn’t match fit and doesn’t appear to be in favour. None of them are quick, athletic and dynamic. The midfield is impotent. Our biggest goal threat is Roberts throw to Dean.
07:41, Mon 18 Oct
True, your simplification is spot on as well…
07:43, Mon 18 Oct
Good points
We're not going to carve through sides with our personnel so let's go back to basics and play two wide men to cross the ball for Juke to get on the end of and hogan to feed off the bits and pieces.
Or at least give it a go for a couple of games
0 goals in five games
07:52, Mon 18 Oct
I think either 4-4-2 with wingers and/or reliance on set plays is an option

My preference would be 4-2-3-1. Woods and Sunjic the two and Bela, Sanchez (Mcgree) and Chong as the three attackers and probably Hogan interchangeable with Deeney as the 1.
07:59, Mon 18 Oct
If our biggest goal threat is Roberts' long throw then we really are in trouble given they never result in goals.

I think the issue is one of balance and making the most of a pretty average championship team. We have to be solid defensively and try to nick results. It'll be a long season of grind methinks. Good enough not to go down, that's about it depressingly.
08:01, Mon 18 Oct
Coventry are a bang average championship side and seem to have found the secret. Obviously, they may crash and burn but, they’ve started well
What did the Knights in White satin?
08:38, Mon 18 Oct
If our biggest goal threat is Roberts' long throw then we really are in trouble given they never result in goals.

I think the issue is one of balance and making the most of a pretty average championship team. We have to be solid defensively and try to nick results. It'll be a long season of grind methinks. Good enough not to go down, that's about it depressingly.

I think we've scored two at least from Roberts taking a short throw, receiving it back and putting a pearler of a cross in, has put good crosses in that haven't led to goals as well. Either way, having our centre half, from the touchline, being our greatest asset when it comes to chance creation is a bit disappointing.
09:21, Mon 18 Oct
Fat Buddha

I think we've scored two at least from Roberts taking a short throw, receiving it back and putting a pearler of a cross in, has put good crosses in that haven't led to goals as well. Either way, having our centre half, from the touchline, being our greatest asset when it comes to chance creation is a bit disappointing.

That tactic is exactly how we lost to WBA too.
Tell you what that crack is really moreish.
DES
11:39, Mon 18 Oct
Super Hans
Fat Buddha

That tactic is exactly how we lost to WBA too.

Please explain Hans!