17:43, Tue 16 Nov
Homer
Spying Cop
I have heard on the radio news the word Kevin being mentioned and being offensive. I had to call in my local to see the landlord, called Kevin and that was the topic of conversation in there...in fact everybody was laughing. The thing is none of us know what Kevin means and why it is offensive? We have had a stab that it is a Yorkshire term.

Can anybody on here enlighten me?

No idea but,if Ballance used it,it may be South African.

According to the testimony, It was a generic name used to call all cricketers with Asian names, presumably Names like Adil being incredibly difficult to remember, or pronounce, or something.

It’s disrespectful, like say calling a blues player ‘Dave’ instead of his proper name/
mad
17:44, Tue 16 Nov
Spying Cop
I have heard on the radio news the word Kevin being mentioned and being offensive. I had to call in my local to see the landlord, called Kevin and that was the topic of conversation in there...in fact everybody was laughing. The thing is none of us know what Kevin means and why it is offensive? We have had a stab that it is a Yorkshire term.

It's alledged that was the name players used to refer to anyone with a difficult (for a Tyke) sounding name to pronounce but it was also used to put people in their place. classic bullying tactic
17:44, Tue 16 Nov
Spying Cop

Yes.

They called all south asian players Kevin because they deemed their actual names too difficult to pronounce.
17:45, Tue 16 Nov
newblue
Homer
Spying Cop

No idea but,if Ballance used it,it may be South African.

According to the testimony, It was a generic name used to call all cricketers with Asian names, presumably Names like Adil being incredibly difficult to remember, or pronounce, or something.

It’s disrespectful, like say calling a blues player ‘Dave’ instead of his proper name/

OK,cheers
mad
17:51, Tue 16 Nov
[www.thecricketer.com]

If we’re honest, many of us will accept we have behaved like Root at times. We might have turned a deaf eye to a chant at a football match or pretended we didn’t hear the new partner of a friend make a racist comment. On a larger scale, the game has done the same.

The worst cringe at Blues was that chant about Muamba for me but how do you educate 20,000 people or stop them booing the knee?
18:13, Tue 16 Nov
I called Beausejour “Dave” at the time he signed as a stupid throw away comment

I was ignorant not to try and spell him his name.

No offence was ever intended.
18:16, Tue 16 Nov
I played in the Birmingham league for a while.

My main memory was bowling at a young Greame Hick when he was playing for Kiddy. Feck he was good. 😁
There's too much opinion and not enough fact.
18:30, Tue 16 Nov
IanT

My main memory was bowling at a young Graham Hick when he was playing for Kiddy. Feck he was good. 😁

It's amazing how many top overseas players played in that league.Did Younis and Akram play for West Bromwich Dartmouth ?
18:36, Tue 16 Nov
Homer
IanT

My main memory was bowling at a young Greame Hick when he was playing for Kiddy. Feck he was good. 😁

It's amazing how many top overseas players played in that league.Did Younis and Akram play for West Bromwich Dartmouth ?

Not in my time, but it was awash with proper talent back then.
There's too much opinion and not enough fact.
My Blue Heaven

It's hard to convince some people thesedays but it is possible call somebody by another another name
and not mean offence

At football practice when I first went to uni for a long time I was known as 'Brum'. Its not my given name.

I am sure we have all encountered people known as Taff, paddy, jock even though that's not their name
19:02, Tue 16 Nov
mad
I admire your optimism but would respectfully suggest you prepare to be disappointed
Bordesley not Small Heath
My Blue Heaven

It's hard to convince some people thesedays but it is possible call somebody by another another name
and not mean offence

At football practice when I first went to uni for a long time I was known as 'Brum'. Its not my given name.

I am sure we have all encountered people known as Taff, paddy, jock even though that's not their name

If you honestly think you being called ‘brum’ is remotely similar to the ‘Kevin’ scenario then I genuinely don’t know what to say
mad
19:17, Tue 16 Nov
Miss World
I admire your optimism but would respectfully suggest you prepare to be disappointed

Why would I be disappointed? Surprised yes but if it happened so be it - everyone needs to do better that's just progress

Lara and Reeve? What issues on the same levels as Yorkshire proving they are an institutionally racist cricket club could there have been at Warks since then?
mad
19:18, Tue 16 Nov
mad
Coincidentally but rather apt - Stephen Fry is this evenings MCC Cowdrey Lecture speaker

Well worth a listen

[www.lords.org]
19:33, Tue 16 Nov
mad
I don’t think setting the bar at ‘not as bad as Yorkshire’ is a good approach.

We’ve found out today that seniority of players is not a guarantee of a good environment.

Would there really not even be a tinge of disappointment if Warwickshire is another club with problems??