09:30, Tue 30 Nov
I'm working on a longer piece about the stadium including the Kop / Tilton issues for the blog.

However, based on posts on here yesterday, I wanted to get a vibe for how people feel about the ground. A lot of the posts resonated with things that I noticed on Saturday, but I wonder how much difference it really makes to going. I'm aware I'm getting old and crotchety, and I'm honest enough to wonder if I notice the little details more because I'm getting old and crotchety than it actually making a difference to the "experience".

Any feedback is useful as it can help me work out what questions I'm going to put to the club and I can also measure it against information I already have.
09:39, Tue 30 Nov
Why isn't there ever any hot water in the Kop toilets? It's just a cold tap.

It was -2 on Saturday and you had to wash your hands with freezing cold water and either queue five minutes for the one working hand dryer or walk out.

I know that's a very little thing compared to the ground falling down but effing hell.
“Oh Nikola Zigic”
09:40, Tue 30 Nov
They either don't care about looking after the stadium or they don't have the money to.

Which is it?
“Oh Nikola Zigic”
09:49, Tue 30 Nov
When i go away i generally can get something to eat or drink in a bright open space emphasis on the generally. At blues i don't even bother as its too much of a faff.
My current seat in the main stand tilts forward - i can't be bothered to move again if i can't have my seat in the Kop back i just won't go
The PA system could be telling me the club will give me a million pounds if i went to find the nearest steward - i would never know as i just can't hear it. Although strange on Saturday when i forget his name did the tribute to Bertie Auld, I could hear him clearly, so might not actually be the PA but the announcer.
BCFC - Letting me down for 49 years
09:51, Tue 30 Nov
El Mayor
I'm working on a longer piece about the stadium including the Kop / Tilton issues for the blog.

However, based on posts on here yesterday, I wanted to get a vibe for how people feel about the ground. A lot of the posts resonated with things that I noticed on Saturday, but I wonder how much difference it really makes to going. I'm aware I'm getting old and crotchety, and I'm honest enough to wonder if I notice the little details more because I'm getting old and crotchety than it actually making a difference to the "experience".

Any feedback is useful as it can help me work out what questions I'm going to put to the club and I can also measure it against information I already have.

As ever; we've got c14000 customers who will come no matter what; but younger generations who are used to the glitz of seeing the Premier League via social media will just not bother & that will hurt in the years to come.

Aside from the quality of football; how many of the 14,000 go through habit each season?

The risk is there's a loose generation of under 20's who identify themselves as "blues fans" but rarely go.
Birmingham City: coming up with new ways to ruin your weekend since 1875
09:52, Tue 30 Nov
- Is it too much to ask for the club to go around with a lick of paint and sort out the concourses, they're shocking
- Can we not get a landscaper in for 2-3 days to tidy up around the outside of the stadium? There are literally weeds growing up the walls in some areas, all it needs is a trimmer, some weedkiller and a jetwash
- Any chance of getting the lower tiers opened? Ever? Is work continuing or has it stopped? It has killed the atmosphere and on tele it looks like we're playing behind closed doors.
09:56, Tue 30 Nov
Louie Donowa
El Mayor

As ever; we've got c14000 customers who will come no matter what; but younger generations who are used to the glitz of seeing the Premier League via social media will just not bother & that will hurt in the years to come.

Aside from the quality of football; how many of the 14,000 go through habit each season?

The risk is there's a loose generation of under 20's who identify themselves as "blues fans" but rarely go.
09:57, Tue 30 Nov
I don’t really have any issues with it to be totally honest, outside of half the ground being empty. I go to the ground to watch a game of football and leave, not too arsed about food or other amenities. It’s definitely woeful for people that are arsed though.

The tannoy is crap though, when I was in the GMU early season you can’t hear a thing from it.
Tell you what that crack is really moreish.
09:58, Tue 30 Nov
I can completely understand people's frustration about hot running water, queues for food/drink, run-down appearance etc etc.

However, as far as I'm concerned, atmosphere is far and away my biggest concern. I realise that general mismanagement of the club and what happens on the pitch contribute massively to this but I'm convinced that the partial stand closures have a huge role to play too. Atmosphere is usually more easily transmitted from back to front of a stand than side to side - the shallow, wide distribution of fans right now kills this. Added to this, the distance between the home fans and the players on two sides creates a significant disconnect that I can only liken to grounds with an athletics running track around the pitch.

The absence of live football atmosphere makes it a lot easier for me to make a different choice on a Saturday afternoon or Tuesday evening. I'm beginning to think that the only real value of a season ticket to me is so that I can get hold of away tickets. Oh and by comparison, when I go to away matches, the facilities are almost never part of my decision whether to go or not.
09:59, Tue 30 Nov
Luxury we dream of freezing cold water in the GMU - can we have any water please none of the Taps work in the gents.

There's a good chance the loo's don't flush either.

Can we have the TV's working please.
10:00, Tue 30 Nov
Ah come on, I know what you're saying but there's mould climbing up the side of the stands. Regardless of watching football it's about having pride in your home.

Football has changed, it's more of an experience for people whether you like it or not.

Answers like that just give them a justification to keep ignoring it.
“Oh Nikola Zigic”
10:02, Tue 30 Nov
In the official bumph from blues regarding Covid measure’s it says hand gel dispenser are available throughout the stadium, I have yet to see one.
The general impression when you walk into the Kop car park to enter the ground isn’t something that endears you to the place. A good exterior jet wash of the buildings and a lick of paint would be a good start, but we know that’s unlikely.🤷🏻‍♂️
10:05, Tue 30 Nov
Sure, and like I said it’s crap for those people.

I can only give my honest opinion on the matter though.
Tell you what that crack is really moreish.
10:07, Tue 30 Nov
Super Hans
I don’t really have any issues with it to be totally honest, outside of half the ground being empty. I go to the ground to watch a game of football and leave, not too arsed about food or other amenities

The tannoy is crap though, when I was in the GMU early season you can’t hear a thing from it.

I'm the same and I always have been.

Perhaps (with me) it is a bit generational because I started going to Blues in 1970 so it is no comparison now.

Things like getting food or a drink in the ground don't arse me either, I drink in the pub - go to the game, go back to the pub. I can manage a couple of hours without needing food or a drink. Even when my kids were little and they couldn't, I took food and a drink in with me.

It's not like I wouldn't like to see us have a great ground with marvellous facilities but it doesn't massively bother me.

...it is bizarre they haven't managed to get a better tannoy over all these years though.
10:15, Tue 30 Nov
Unfortunately there is a list as long as your arm of the issues with St Andrews.

The most obvious of these issues is the Main Stand. It was outdated, old and decrepit when I first started going to the Blues in 1993/94. There are well documented issues as to this cannot be demolished and rebuilt but that does not excuse undertaking remedial works to make the stand more aesthetically pleasing and more enjoyable for fans to sit in that stand. Things that could be done (and obtaining permissions to do should no be too difficult f required at all) are:-

- Replace the roof: The blasted thing nearly blew off in 2002, this is something that could be undertaken during the summer so would not disrupt the season.
- Remove all the seating and make good the existing concrete
- Replace all the seating with brand new seats
- Replace flat roof section that sits on top of the boxes in the main stand

All of the above points would at least make the stand look better, if you can't rebuild a new stand at least make best of the one we have.

Aside from the obvious current predicament with the lower Kop and Tilton there isn't much wrong with the stands but the toilet and refreshment facilities are woeful. Surely it can't take earth shattering amounts of money to get these up to a good standard.

Another point which I'd like to add is that when the ground is half empty I tend to notice these issues more. If you go back to our first stint in the Premier League the ground was packed game in game out, I don't recall any of the above bothering me at all back then......maybe it was due to the feel good factor around the club at that time.