My Blue Heaven
I’m sure they tweeted that they would be partaking?
No idea. Just repeating what I heard. Which is probably daft on my part
Jude Bellingham - "Once a blue, always a blue" “This is my Club, I love the Club to bits. I’d die for this Club”
16:04, Mon 6 Dec
I’m not sure why we are fecking them

They took part as far as I know. They don’t have a big screen to display a pic.

In that case - un feck em. I was only going off what others said on this thread.
16:18, Mon 6 Dec
Bluesince62
There can be no consolation for what that babbie suffered, but if it makes people just that little bit more aware and willing to flag up anything they may have ignored before, then that is something. Maybe the next Arthur can be spared.

I want to pick up on this.

Once upon a time a few years back, I was a volunteer youth worker on my home estate of Chelmsley Wood; leading youth groups and doing a bit of outreach stuff.

Two girls came to our group who were around 10-12 years old. Their behaviour was terrible, and they were sexualised to a point which made me feel so uncomfortable that I refused to be in the room with them without a female adult present. As I had been trained to do in these kinds of situations, I raised their behaviour with our safeguarding officer.

I felt terrible afterwards.

If nothing was going on, I'd potentially ruined their parents lives. However, if I said nothing and these kids were being abused, how could I live with myself?

I didn't see the girls again after I spoke to the safeguarding officer and I have no idea what happened. I only hope I did the right thing.

I say this because I want people to realise just how hard this kind of situation is to deal with, and the kind of stresses it puts upon people in social work capacities. Chelmsley Wood is in Solihull and at that time all youth work was being done by a charity (Worth Unlimited) rather than a council department. I don't know if that is still the case, but i'm fairly sure that youth work and social work is massively underfunded.

Applause at stadiums is great for showing we care, but it doesn't fix the problem. Donate to charities like NSPCC, lobby councils and MPs to improve social care provision - even take the path I did and volunteer. It's eye-opening, and not in a good way.
17:06, Mon 6 Dec
Rab C Nesbitt
My Blue Heaven
I’m sure they tweeted that they would be partaking?
No idea. Just repeating what I heard. Which is probably daft on my part

I watched the game, the vast majority didn’t take part from the looks of it. Not really sure why, maybe they forgot.
17:17, Mon 6 Dec
It wouldn't bother me at all if the club were to rename the family stand "Arthur's Stand". It just seems a bit much and a bit token-y.

I'd much rather see the club putting money into community outreach to get vulnerable children working with at least volunteers, if not full-time youth workers. As Mayor said above, funding for social services is in the toilet, and unless/until people vote for something else at a national level, the best response must surely be to do something tangible to support their work as much as possible.

I think that, if the stand is renamed, it has to be coupled with tangible action to help reach children at risk of abuse or exploitation.
El Mayor
Bluesince62
There can be no consolation for what that babbie suffered, but if it makes people just that little bit more aware and willing to flag up anything they may have ignored before, then that is something. Maybe the next Arthur can be spared.

I want to pick up on this.

Once upon a time a few years back, I was a volunteer youth worker on my home estate of Chelmsley Wood; leading youth groups and doing a bit of outreach stuff.

Two girls came to our group who were around 10-12 years old. Their behaviour was terrible, and they were sexualised to a point which made me feel so uncomfortable that I refused to be in the room with them without a female adult present. As I had been trained to do in these kinds of situations, I raised their behaviour with our safeguarding officer.

I felt terrible afterwards.

If nothing was going on, I'd potentially ruined their parents lives. However, if I said nothing and these kids were being abused, how could I live with myself?

I didn't see the girls again after I spoke to the safeguarding officer and I have no idea what happened. I only hope I did the right thing.

I say this because I want people to realise just how hard this kind of situation is to deal with, and the kind of stresses it puts upon people in social work capacities. Chelmsley Wood is in Solihull and at that time all youth work was being done by a charity (Worth Unlimited) rather than a council department. I don't know if that is still the case, but i'm fairly sure that youth work and social work is massively underfunded.

Applause at stadiums is great for showing we care, but it doesn't fix the problem. Donate to charities like NSPCC, lobby councils and MPs to improve social care provision - even take the path I did and volunteer. It's eye-opening, and not in a good way.
We all need to push for change from the very top. You can’t keep cutting budgets. I’m with Gramsci on that
Jude Bellingham - "Once a blue, always a blue" “This is my Club, I love the Club to bits. I’d die for this Club”
17:22, Mon 6 Dec
I’m not sure why we are fecking them

They took part as far as I know. They don’t have a big screen to display a pic.

In that case - un feck em. I was only going off what others said on this thread.

Nah, feck ‘em
17:31, Mon 6 Dec
Until there is more consistent accountable and standards, including with service providers, I fear there will be further numerous instances of children being failed.

Funding obviously helps, too many can still treat children, and their families, better regardless IMO
18:57, Mon 6 Dec
Pretty much any public service in contact with children and families is already held to very high standards of accountability. Ask any teacher, for example.

Where funding is the issue is the caseload put on individuals. More social workers = more time spent on cases and more oversight from colleagues with second opinions where unsure.

Funding aside, it might be an idea to actually implement the findings of previous reviews before reviewing Arthur's case. What's been the problem in getting that done? Political will, which comes down to complacency and, fundamentally, funding.
The club have a chance to make a memorable gesture and get a great PR win, by renaming the family stand in memory of Arthur.
It’ll cost them nothing, no change in sponsorship or naming rights, simply put a poll out with a few different suggestions...
The Family Stand in memory of Arthur Labinjo-Hughes
The Arthur Labinjo-Hughes family stand.
The Arthur Stand.

It would be a great and simple gesture.p, let’s hope someone at the club has an ounce of common sense.
18:57, Mon 6 Dec
laughing_jackalope
The club have a chance to make a memorable gesture and get a great PR win, by renaming the family stand in memory of Arthur.
It’ll cost them nothing, no change in sponsorship or naming rights, simply put a poll out with a few different suggestions...
The Family Stand in memory of Arthur Labinjo-Hughes
The Arthur Labinjo-Hughes family stand.
The Arthur Stand.

It would be a great and simple gesture.p, let’s hope someone at the club has an ounce of common sense.

I see a flaw in this plan....
20:07, Mon 6 Dec
Fair play Everton and Arsenal
20:09, Mon 6 Dec
What if instead of renaming the family stand, we have a game every year ‘Arthur’s Game’ where it’s kids for a quid. Can be this same weekend every year which will help families too in the run up to Xmas.
20:12, Mon 6 Dec
TinaTractor
What if instead of renaming the family stand, we have a game every year ‘Arthur’s Game’ where it’s kids for a quid. Can be this same weekend every year which will help families too in the run up to Xmas.

Love this idea 👍