Root (c)
Stokes
Pope
Buttler (wk)
Robinson
Wood
Broad
Anderson

Woakes there as back up for Broad/Jimmy although you might pick him ahead of Wood for the pink ball test and save Leach for the drier pitches later in the tour

Current forecast for Brisbane;
Weds - rain throughout the afternoon
Thurs - rain throughout the afternoon
Fri - showers about lunchtime
Sat - sunny
Sun - showers about lunchtime

Re: Your Gabba XI

11:28, Mon 6 Dec
mad
I'm not happy with no spinner. You should always have a spinner in.

And I also think the days of Broad and Anderson playing together are gone, so I would replace one or other of those with Leach.

Batting line-up I think picks itself.
mad
11:47, Mon 6 Dec
Robinson is the big gamble - bowls it back of a length or if he pushes his length up he tends to float it up there so they'll be itching to cut and pull his short stuff or drive his 85mph balls down the ground for 4. Maybe Leach in for him then?

However I think the Aussies would be licking their lips at the prospect of going after Olly Robinson and that might play into England's hands
11:52, Mon 6 Dec
mad
he more than deserves to keep his place though even if you are going on a horses for courses policy

need to find room for a spinner - Anderson or Broad out

Woakes needs to play as well, as much for his batting as anything
11:54, Mon 6 Dec
mad
I'm thinking at this stage that Robinson should do well in Australian conditions, if he gets it right the bounce and carry should make him a handful. To me, he and Wood are the certs - notwithstanding you've got to keep Wood fit.

Anderson and Broad are the two who should not be guaranteed, certainly not both in the same team.
11:59, Mon 6 Dec
Agreed.

Robinson's the first name on the list for me. He can do for us what Hazlewood does for them....keep it tight, top of off, etc.

If Stokes can bowl there's no need for Anderson AND Broad.
There's too much opinion and not enough fact.
12:01, Mon 6 Dec
IanT
Agreed.

Robinson's the first name on the list for me. He can do for us what Hazlewood does for them....keep it tight, top of off, etc.

If Stokes can bowl there's no need for Anderson AND Broad.

Agree but I bet they both play. Broad spat his dummy out last time he was "rested" didn't he?
Dan
12:02, Mon 6 Dec
mad
Hameed
Burns
Malan
Root (c)
Stokes
Pope
Buttler (wk)
Woakes
Robinson
Leach
Anderson

Is the correct answer
12:05, Mon 6 Dec
Hagley Blue

Broad spat his dummy out last time he was "rested" didn't he?

Ooofff, you're not allowed to say that to Ian (even though it's true).
mad
12:06, Mon 6 Dec
Dan
There's a lot of left handers in the Aussie line up so worth considering Broad around the wicket option especially if Leach is omitted. Jimmy is needed for Adelaide, probably won't play all 5 so rests either MCG or SCG possibly both.

Final test likely to be at a half full Hobart unless they open the border and let Melbournians into Tasmania to watch it

If (unlikely) the series is tied 2-2 or 1-1 they'll probably switch to MCG for the decider so they can pack em in
12:09, Mon 6 Dec
Spike
Hagley Blue

Broad spat his dummy out last time he was "rested" didn't he?

Ooofff, you're not allowed to say that to Ian (even though it's true).

You little tinker.
12:12, Mon 6 Dec
IanT
You little tinker.

...that's me!!!
12:18, Mon 6 Dec
Very rarely turns at The Gabba but I agree with Spike, a spinner adds balance and control providing they are accurate.
12:20, Mon 6 Dec
1. Crawley
2. Burns
3. Malan
4. Root
5. Bairstow
6. Stokes
7. Butler
8. Woakes
9. Robinson
10. Wood
11. Anderson

Root as the spinner to the Ozzie lefties.

I reckon it’s a toss up between Bairstow and Pope but with Bairstow experience they may go for him. I want Woakes in the team, for his batting as well as his bowling. And I reckon they’re worried about Hameed and the short ball and he didn’t do very much in the limited practice to disprove it.
12:31, Mon 6 Dec
Radavis
1. Crawley
2. Burns
3. Malan
4. Root
5. Bairstow
6. Stokes
7. Butler
8. Woakes
9. Robinson
10. Wood
11. Anderson

Root as the spinner to the Ozzie lefties.

I reckon it’s a toss up between Bairstow and Pope but with Bairstow experience they may go for him. I want Woakes in the team, for his batting as well as his bowling. And I reckon they’re worried about Hameed and the short ball and he didn’t do very much in the limited practice to disprove it.

I'm not sure what Crawley has done in order to regain his place ahead of Hameed if I'm honest, and I'd be going for Broad ahead of Anderson at the Gabba and save Jimmy for under the lights in Adelaide which is only a few days later.