Re: Your Gabba XI

12:33, Mon 6 Dec
Crawley was slightly toungue in cheek as they rate him and he’s got height against the bounce on his side. It will probably be Hameed but I’m worried he’s a walking wicket.

Wood and Robinson are really the only definite’s in terms of bowling. But I still reckon they’ll use Roots spin instead of Leach.
12:34, Mon 6 Dec
Sheppy
Very rarely turns at The Gabba but I agree with Spike, a spinner adds balance and control providing they are accurate.

The other thing in my mind that a spinner is vital for is to be able to bowl spells and prevent the seamers from being overworked.

Wood, Stokes and Anderson (moreso over the past couple of years) all have records for breaking down. If we have got any chance of keeping these lads fit we have to avoid pounding them into the ground because we've got no other options.
12:43, Mon 6 Dec
Suppose Root could try and flip a couple but I make you right we do need someone to hold an end in the afternoon
12:47, Mon 6 Dec
Leach should be in there, not sure who for though, Broad will definitely have a hissy fit if he's dropped, he's been talking up the Gabba in every interview I've seen recently, and Woods fitness is always a worry, we won't get 5 tests out of him.
mad
12:51, Mon 6 Dec
My Blue Heaven
Suppose Root could try and flip a couple but I make you right we do need someone to hold an end in the afternoon
That could be Stokes or Woakes role in the side you don't necessarily need a proper spinner depdending on conditions of course. Use three from Jimmy/Broad/Wood/Robinson up front with Overton as back up too

I wonder how many of the Lions squad will stick around in case of injuries. Could see Saqib Mahmood stick around as cover for the seamers and Matt Parkinson brought in for the 4th and 5th tests
12:53, Mon 6 Dec
mad
The 5th test has been moved from Perth so could be a day night test. Two of them would be where I’d imagine the selectors would rest Wood. I always get so excited about the ashes down under, stay up late to watch it and all bar once it’s been a massive let down.

The return of Stokes is the key to us having a hope. I hope he holds up having not played since July I’m not sure how he’ll cope with 5 tests in just over a month.
mad
13:09, Mon 6 Dec
If it is Hobart I'll be a little gutted about not being there especially with the schedule this year being more ideal than most since the mid 1990's. Canberra might be an even easier option for them especially if the score is 0-3 or 0-4 going into that last test as there'll be no need to cross state boundaries after the SCG

Lot to get through prior to Xmas to be certain of anything that far off
13:30, Mon 6 Dec
Dan
Dan
Hameed
Burns
Malan
Root (c)
Stokes
Pope
Buttler (wk)
Woakes
Robinson
Leach
Anderson

Is the correct answer

Yep this is what I’d go with ☝️
mad
15:12, Mon 6 Dec
I think we have to hope Robinson is the X factor that works this winter. Wood can only do it in short bursts which may work if we get conditions like MCG 2010 but Robinson has the ability to make the ball nibble off the seam at or around Glenn McGrath pace and for long spells

If he fails then its over to Overton who is whole hearted but for me much less of a shout for impact over there and then we'll be relying on Jimmy, Broad and Woakes which hasn't worked in the past

Good highlights reel of Olly's early season form just posted on twitter worth a look;

[twitter.com]

If he bowls that length in Oz he won't be getting the lbw decisions as the ball will be going over the top and the Aussie batsmen will be confident leaving the trickier balls on length so he will have to push his length up a fair bit which then risks him just floating it up there at around 80-85mph which they'll feast on unless he is metronomic like McGrath was - unfortunately he tends to spray it around too much to make that comparison

I like the angles he bowls from and his use of the crease which is why he at least has a chance down there when (for instance) the great Darren Stevens wouldn't. Note how with the new ball first thing he's close to the wicket at delivery but is wider with the older ball from the other end where umpire Alex Wharf is standing
15:16, Mon 6 Dec
mad
Don’t forget The Cure performing “Prayers for Rain”.
15:56, Mon 6 Dec
mad
I think he's a canny enough bowler, it's not like he's a young lad he's very experienced now and comfortable with his game. He's got a bit about him as well, he was under a lot of pressure when he came into the England side with those Tweets popping up and he still performed. Then when he came back after the ban he carried on performing.

He bowls quick enough and aggressive enough, he keeps coming at the batsmen and that's worth a lot. Sure those lengths won't get him LBWs in Australia but they will get him plenty of caught behind the wickets and play-ons with the extra bounce. I think he'll do alright.
16:18, Mon 6 Dec
mad
mad
If it is Hobart I'll be a little gutted about not being there especially with the schedule this year being more ideal than most since the mid 1990's. Canberra might be an even easier option for them especially if the score is 0-3 or 0-4 going into that last test as there'll be no need to cross state boundaries after the SCG

Lot to get through prior to Xmas to be certain of anything that far off

🤔
16:41, Mon 6 Dec
I agree about a spinner. Looking at the team, the top really have to score well, as that tail is longer than a very large alligator
What did the Knights in White satin?
mad
16:43, Mon 6 Dec
They'd still have to fly up to Canberra but there'd be no current or potentially future covid related restrictions between Greater Sydney and the ACT unlike those that could crop up between NSW and Tasmania

Canberra only holds 10,000 so its a long shot but if the series is already kaput and Tassie locks down you never know rather than flog the MCG the could shoot up to there or England might do an India and come home early
16:46, Mon 6 Dec
mad
Whatever permutation of bowlers we choose I think the bottom line is we wont score anywhere near the amount of runs to put the Aussies under pressure in the series.

Our bowling attack is OK and we will have periods where we are on top with the ball but Root aside and possibly Stokes I don't see big runs anywhere else in the line up.
"supporters should be patient a little while longer - sunshine days are just around the corner."
Ken Wheldon - March 18th 1988