I can't see us winning a test
09:41, Tue 7 Dec
4-0 to them and it’s not that they are that good. However, our batting is, with the exception of JR and BS, just not capable of standing up to what’s going to be thrown at it.
I genuinely don’t see how we score enough runs to win a test.
I expect to see the word ‘collapse’ a few times this winter
09:43, Tue 7 Dec
3-1 to Aussies.
Tell you what that crack is really moreish.
Twice in one match as well
09:50, Tue 7 Dec
4-0 to the convicts
10:07, Tue 7 Dec
4-0 to them and it’s not that they are that good. However, our batting is, with the exception of JR and BS, just not capable of standing up to what’s going to be thrown at it.
I genuinely don’t see how we score enough runs to win a test.

I think the opposite, i believe it will be a coming of age for a lot of our batsmen and it'll be close.
mad
10:23, Tue 7 Dec
Everyone's assuming it's between Broad and Leach for the last spot
There are a few niggly injuries I think one of them is Wood so you never know

England have to scrape a draw at Brisbane (I don't think the weather alone will save them)

They then MUST win at Adelaide and then pray for cloudy conditions at the MCG

SCG - Australia are a shoe in unless England have hit their straps and the Aussies are copping some flack off their press by then

5th test at Hobart/MCG/SCG under lights - you never know it'll be very hot middle of their summer by then wherever they play, Hobart will prepare a flat track anyway so reliant on conditions there to help England

With all due respect to Hobart it'd be like England moving the last test of a bumper series to Grace Road so I think realistically it'll be between SCG and MCG

Optimistic 2-2 Realistic 0-3
10:24, Tue 7 Dec
mad
mad
Everyone's assuming it's between Broad and Leach for the last spot
There are a few niggly injuries I think one of them is Wood so you never know

England have to scrape a draw at Brisbane (I don't think the weather alone will save them)

They then MUST win at Adelaide and then pray for cloudy conditions at the MCG

SCG - Australia are a shoe in unless England have hit their straps and the Aussies are copping some flack off their press by then

5th test at Hobart/MCG/SCG under lights - you never know it'll be very hot middle of their summer by then wherever they play, Hobart will prepare a flat track anyway so reliant on conditions there to help England

Optimistic 2-2 Realistic 0-3

The team sheets out. I posted it earlier.
mad
10:46, Tue 7 Dec
Yeah there's a 12 announced. Broad and Leach might even both play

On the subject of Leach, remember Australia isn't really a country with spinning tracks. Warne and MacGill skew the stats somewhat, Lyon is an adequate spinner but if these 5 tests had all been normal daytime tests you'd only need a spinner for Adelaide and the SCG. You might want Leach to target Travis Head however if the pitch is obviously going to turn - that won't be the case at Gabba, nor under lights at Adelaide, nor at the MCG with the drop in pitch and no actual square to rough up the ball.

England have better options for 4 of these test matches and don't wanna be in the position of having to overbowl Ben Stokes once (inevitably) Leach gets smacked out of the attack so aside from the SCG 4th Test they might prefer playing without Leach. Leach might not get a look in until 2022 if things start well for England's 5 pronged seam attack

On the subject of Wood. He might be a luxury too. Raw pace sprayed all over the shop isn't the thing you necessarily need out there either. They might omit him and go with Leach, Broad, Robinson and Woakes
12:29, Tue 7 Dec
mad
To have any chance we need batsmen other than Root or Stokes to contribute big runs. Malan maybe? Pope?
We will have to find a way to match Warner,Smiths and Labuschagnes runs.

I think back to 1986 where we had no chance. Couldn't bat, bowl or field apparently.

Chris Broad scored 3 centuries in the series and we won 2-1 so you never know.

Aussies to win 3-0 is my bet at 12/1. Hazelwood top wicket taker in the series 9/2
"supporters should be patient a little while longer - sunshine days are just around the corner."
Ken Wheldon - March 18th 1988
12:50, Tue 7 Dec
It's the correct decision to save Jimmy for Adelaide under the lights, as it's England's best chance of winning a test.

And I'm glad they've given Pope his chance. Let's hope he takes it.
There's too much opinion and not enough fact.
12:56, Tue 7 Dec
the ferret
To have any chance we need batsmen other than Root or Stokes to contribute big runs. Malan maybe? Pope?

I think back to 1986 where we had no chance. Couldn't bat, bowl or field apparently.

Aussies to win 3-0 is my bet at 12/1. Hazelwood top wicket taker in the series 9/2

1986 was certainly a strange one. I seem to remember we lost every warm up game, and there were a few in those days, and performed entirely differently in the tests. Maybe we just lulled them into a false sense of security

Certainly Gatting's finest hour
12:59, Tue 7 Dec
jeffwealands
the ferret

1986 was certainly a strange one. I seem to remember we lost every warm up game, and there were a few in those days, and performed entirely differently in the tests. Maybe we just lulled them into a false sense of security

Certainly Gatting's finest hour

They were shit scared of Botham at that stage. He got wickets with some awful deliveries when he had no right to just on the basis of his reputation alone.

His batting was superb though.

Let's hope Stokes can replicate that.
There's too much opinion and not enough fact.
13:06, Tue 7 Dec
I have a feeling we will also keep Broad back for Adelaide and with the weather forecast not great try and get out of Brisbane with a draw.

We need to pull a rabbit out of the hat batting wise.
Pope has all the shots and Aussie pitches might just suit him. Now wouldn't be the worst time for him to come of age.
"supporters should be patient a little while longer - sunshine days are just around the corner."
Ken Wheldon - March 18th 1988