08:41, Tue 7 Dec
it's littlejohn, he's about as relevant at hatie cockpins

"I gave up my season tickets at Spurs after 35 years because I wasn't prepared to give money to anyone who insists on 'taking the knee' in support of Black Lives Matter before every game."
AnE - conspiracy theorist, ardent viler-hater, nutjob cyclist, Cubie-bater, go-to iconoclast
08:46, Tue 7 Dec
Why are you reading the irrelevant Mail?
08:48, Tue 7 Dec
‘Virtue signaling’ is just another vacuous phrase adopted by ( in the vast majority of cases) right leaning people of this country

If you look at the dictionary definition singing the National anthem is ‘virtue signaling’ .,,,,,.: is he going to write an article on not doing that ??…. Doubt it
08:52, Tue 7 Dec
He's taken a valid viewpoint - about tokenism and if it actually does anything - and managed to make himself look obnoxious over it, he should give himself a round of applause.
08:56, Tue 7 Dec
I don’t read the DM
And I certainly don’t agree with Littlejohn’s politics

But I made the point in the Mersey derby lives thread last week
Football is being media managed to pretend to care
about everything while being a brutal industry that doesn’t

In the Mersey derby
We had applause for 2 former players who died
Taking the knee
Applause for girl stabbed
Banner for no knives
Possibly rainbow corner flags

Now I’m a left leaning person but I can see the hypocrisy of football …but it so needs to portray itself as caring and pat itself on the back in the media it’s ridiculous

Maybe it’s a guilt cos it knows for example

It throws young men on the scrap heap leaving them with mental health problems

It takes Saudi money

Etc
08:59, Tue 7 Dec
All great points mate, but you've managed to raise them without being obnoxious about it, but then I suppose you don't have to sell papers or elicit clicks for a far right rag.
He's judged this one wrong anyway - there has been genuine grief and revulsion over this and football has just shown the same emotions - doesn't mean what you say isn't right in other circumstances though.
09:16, Tue 7 Dec

I'm about as left wing as you can get ... but i read the Daily Mail website (as well as many others) every single day.

In any discussion if you can research your opponent's approach/view/opinion/argument in advance it gives you a chance to plan your own responses to what will probably crop up. Plus it's also VERY important to know and understand thoroughly all opinions which differ from your own. Who knows ? One day they may have a valid point about something.
09:22, Tue 7 Dec
Virtue Signaling is described as thus

The action or practice of publicly expressing a feeling or sentiment

So when people stand silent during Remembrance they are nothing more than ‘Virtue Signallers’ or as o mentioned earlier sing the National anthem ???

Who decides what are acceptable acts of the dictionary definition and which are not ??…..

He’s been given a slot in a major publication to express his views on any subject……. An opportunity many of us would grasp…..Could have chosen any aspect of social injustice …… Yet chose this…… Sums him and the paper up sadly
09:23, Tue 7 Dec
I agree with taking the knee, especially after watch Colin in Black and White.

I agree with a respectful applause or silence for former players who made a effing huge contribution to the club

I don't agree with tributes to every tom dick or harry who has had a link to the club.

I agree with a silence on the weekend of remembrance sunday, but not weeks before or after it

I'm not bothered about rainbow laces one way or the other

The Arthur tribute...….magnificent and I would say necessary

The problem with having tributes and remembrances all the time is it dilutes all such things, and people end up shrugging their shoulders, taking part, but not really giving any thought to it.

I might be wrong though.
09:29, Tue 7 Dec
For what it's worth, I agree with all of that.
09:29, Tue 7 Dec

I'm about as left wing as you can get ... but i read the Daily Mail website (as well as many others) every single day.

In any discussion if you can research your opponent's approach/view/opinion/argument in advance it gives you a chance to plan your own responses to what will probably crop up. Plus it's also VERY important to know and understand thoroughly all opinions which differ from your own. Who knows ? One day they may have a valid point about something.

I'd recommend following Dom Cummings on twitter, seriously.
09:33, Tue 7 Dec
Rags

This is such a great post. Just because we support something, we shouldn't ignore the views from the other side or at least understand where their opinion is formed. Really healthy to debate with yourself sometimes too. (obviously not aloud in the high street though).
09:36, Tue 7 Dec
Is this the point he made badly - Doing it once is more than acceptable, when it appears to be a bit contrived it loses it effectiveness - his point on taking the knee.

So if you take arthur - if we alone did it - Good job all round, becasue everyone else they were bandwagon jumping etc

I tend to agree, as where do you draw the line ?
BCFC - Letting me down for 49 years
09:40, Tue 7 Dec
Rags

This is such a great post. Just because we support something, we shouldn't ignore the views from the other side or at least understand where their opinion is formed. Really healthy to debate with yourself sometimes too. (obviously not aloud in the high street though).

so long as it isn't a mass debate