15:35, Tue 11 Jan
I can remember many years ago when Man city was a team in the shadow of Man Utd, always flaunting relegation. Now look at them. This should be possible for us with the right owners.
15:43, Tue 11 Jan
Racelight
I can remember many years ago when Man city was a team in the shadow of Man Utd, always flaunting relegation. Now look at them. This should be possible for us with the right owners.
Possible for anyone to be fair, but we have owners who have us shackled to the HKSE, hopefully we can cut loose and move forward but I can't see it happening, Mayor once said everything has a price, but these buggers from what it seems dont want to even consider any type of bid, I get the feeling that if they sold up there would be a few ghouls in the closet regarding them
12:12, Fri 14 Jan
EXCL: dcfc under fresh transfer embargo after failing to convince EFL they can fulfil remaining fixtures.
Heated exchanges at the training ground today, I’m told, as Rooney told he won't be able to make any new signings this month. Jagielka has left - his contract up next week.
12:13, Fri 14 Jan
No Diallo for them then.
Tell you what that crack is really moreish.
12:26, Fri 14 Jan
gerry1875
Racelight
Possible for anyone to be fair, but we have owners who have us shackled to the HKSE, hopefully we can cut loose and move forward but I can't see it happening, Mayor once said everything has a price, but these buggers from what it seems don't want to even consider any type of bid, I get the feeling that if they sold up there would be a few ghouls in the closet regarding them

Sheikh Mansour has put about £2 billion into City group worldwide. That's on top of the club's income which is £570 million in the last accounts - This will include income provided by him, but the £2 billion is on top of that.

They have had staggering sums if you add up the income and loans. Approximately £5 billion in the last decade. They aren't burdened with debt or greedy owners like Spurs and Man Utd
You* could make any club successful with that sort of money.

*almost certainly any of us.
12:28, Fri 14 Jan
EXCL: dcfc under fresh transfer embargo after failing to convince EFL they can fulfil remaining fixtures.
Heated exchanges at the training ground today, I’m told, as Rooney told he won't be able to make any new signings this month. Jagielka has left - his contract up next week.

Oof. Rooney is doing well to hang in there.
12:43, Fri 14 Jan
Racelight
Agreed. Chelsea were also for years a club in the shadows of Arsenal and Spurs until the Russian money was poured in.
I do believe the potential is there for any club in a major City,given the right owners,to be successful,and I certainly count us as one of them.
Unfortunately ,apart maybe for a brief period under the Coombes family in the early 70.s and arguably during the early part of the Gollivans reign we have never even looked like we have owners to take us to that level.
12:49, Fri 14 Jan
I think the ffp rules changed slightly a few seasons after Man City's takeover. So whilst it's still possible, i think its a lot harder and will take longer than it did with Chelsea and Man City.
12:55, Fri 14 Jan
Yeah, I think the rules changed because of Man City didn't they? weren't they taking the absolute rip out of it by 'sponsoring' themselves for about 500 million? so as you say, not as easy now for the nouveaux riche like vile and Newcastle to just buy the league.
12:59, Fri 14 Jan
I don't agree with that. Spurs were a bag of shit in the late 90s, early 2000s. Bates had already taken Chelsea past them.
13:01, Fri 14 Jan
Bluesince62

Oof. Rooney is doing well to hang in there.
If only he was this loyal to his wife
13:06, Fri 14 Jan
Bluesince62
Yeah, I think the rules changed because of Man City didn't they? weren't they taking the absolute rip out of it by 'sponsoring' themselves for about 500 million? so as you say, not as easy now for the nouveaux riche like vile and Newcastle to just buy the league.

Yeah something like that, my memory isn't what is used to be and I'm only 29 😬
13:19, Fri 14 Jan
davenports
Racelight
Agreed. Chelsea were also for years a club in the shadows of Arsenal and Spurs until the Russian money was poured in.
I do believe the potential is there for any club in a major City,given the right owners,to be successful,and I certainly count us as one of them.
Unfortunately ,apart maybe for a brief period under the Coombes family in the early 70.s and arguably during the early part of the Gollivans reign we have never even looked like we have owners to take us to that level.

But both Chelsea and Man City were already PL sides before the big money arrived.

That is key. Would Southampton or Palace or Burnley have attracted the new investment if they weren't already on the gravy train?
13:19, Fri 14 Jan
Charcy
I don't agree with that. Spurs were a bag of shit in the late 90s, early 2000s. Bates had already taken Chelsea past them.
I think you know what I mean about potential though don't you,or are you just being pedantic ?
Incidentally I wish we were as big a "bag of shit" as you so eloquently put it as Spurs in the 90's and 2000's .
13:28, Fri 14 Jan
davenports
Charcy
I think you know what I mean about potential though don't you,or are you just being pedantic ?
Incidentally I wish we were as big a "bag of shit" as you so eloquently put it as Spurs in the 90's and 2000's .

You need to dream bigger.

It's not pedantic to point out that they weren't in the shadows of Spurs until the Russians came in. Its facts.