17:56, Wed 23 Nov
It's time we had the refs wearing microphones so that we can hear their decision making and interaction with players. It would also bring clarity with VAR decisions and perhaps even added time.
It works well with Rugby so why not football??
18:11, Wed 23 Nov
Would show how much bad language and dissent they tolerate
Jude Bellingham - "Once a blue, always a blue" “This is my Club, I love the Club to bits. I’d die for this Club”
18:16, Wed 23 Nov
Then it needs doing, perhaps players can show a bit of respect, it's about time
...no respect for refs in football, an "open mic" would highlight the vitriol and foul language they're subjected to.

Imagine how many times they'd have to apologise for hearing unsuitable comments during each game.
18:20, Wed 23 Nov
steve aerobic
The laws are there now to punish it. And grassroots refs would massively benefit
Jude Bellingham - "Once a blue, always a blue" “This is my Club, I love the Club to bits. I’d die for this Club”
18:23, Wed 23 Nov
It's been done before. David Elleray,i think. It didn't show Tony Adams in a good light. I'm sure you'll find it on Youtube.
18:33, Wed 23 Nov
Rab C Nesbitt
Would show how much bad language and dissent they tolerate

Which is the main reason it should be done, as no better reason for Mike Riley to grow some and get his refs to implement the rules as they are already written.
BCFC - Letting me down for 50 years
18:38, Wed 23 Nov
Referee here every week i get abused one way or the other,
but we learn to live with it by getting our cards out. If only
"the powers of be" would tell the Top end of referee's to send a few off for a few weeks. I'm certain that would filter down to Grassroots level.

Quick story that happened to me in a pre-season "Friendly"

Got asked to do a PSF in August this year'
Anyway i turned up ready changed walk onto the pitch.
Only to be greeted with a "Not this Effing Pr£$k again" from a home player.

I said absolutly nothing and thought Mr=B " what are you doing here?"

So i turned round walked back to the car and went home.

I've no idea if they played that game They never phoned up and asked "Where are you"? Just nothing.

Hopefully the chap who called me a P£$%k picked up the whistle and had a go. lol
18:39, Wed 23 Nov
One of my big annoyances it’s not an easy job reffing.

i ban often be heard shouting I wouldn’t stand for that when the refs getting the verbals. And I wouldn’t one warning and you’d be off.

You would find you would get the respect of players pretty quickly if you did.

Some teams are worse than others it’s often a managers tactic. Been going on for years.

As others have said the top level needs to be stronger and it would filter down.
19:18, Wed 23 Nov
mr-bubble
"the powers of be" would tell the Top end of referee's to send a few off for a few weeks. I'm certain that would filter down to Grassroots level.

I've no idea if they played that game They never phoned up and asked "Where are you"? Just nothing.

Hopefully the chap who called me a P£$%k picked up the whistle and had a go. lol
👏
00:40, Thu 24 Nov
I’ve played rugby for over thirty years and the very, very first thing we were taught wasn’t catching or tackling it was always call the referee sir if he speaks to you and only the captain should be talking to him.

Admittedly last year having a female referee for the first time made for some on the hoof apologies for calling her sir! She was a good sport though and said that she had grown used to it.

Anyway my point is if it is installed in the kids today then the next generation of referees, hopefully won’t have the same problem.
07:26, Thu 24 Nov
mr-bubble

I have the utmost respect for referees - yes, the performances of and decisions made by some referees are poor and deserve a level of criticism but the abuse that referees receive week-in, week-out really does make me wonder why you do it. Ultimately, with no referee, there’s no game. There’s a bloke that sits behind me at home games that gives the referee non-stop grief for the entire match…I think to myself, “you wouldn’t do it sit down and show sone respect”.

I know that I wouldn’t be a ref thus my criticism and abuse is limited!

Well done for walking away!!! 👏🏽
"we don't even know why we're here - we're all just wandering around, doing daft things, killing time, until we die; that's why Frisbee's been invented..." (Karl Pilkington 2013)
08:26, Thu 24 Nov
It's time we had the refs wearing microphones so that we can hear their decision making and interaction with players. It would also bring clarity with VAR decisions and perhaps even added time.
It works well with Rugby so why not football??

There are some good things in Rugby that would be so easy to bring into football and would improve the game, especially re timewasting. Blood/head injury substitutes especially, I also agree with having the refs heard as well - their version of VAR works better than football as well.
08:34, Thu 24 Nov
steve aerobic

Respect has to be earnt.