10:52, Sun 5 Nov
The ball came off Joelinton.
Rab C Nesbitt
Bluesince62
Rab C Nesbitt
bluer than blues
Yep, the Guimares was terrible.

I think VAR has made the on field refs worse, too.
On field officials now don’t need to make decisions. VAR encourages that

Sorry mate but that's blatantly untrue - the whole reason that shit show happened last night was because VAR couldn't find a reason (clear and obvious error) to overrule the ref or ask him to view the screen.

There is some incredibly subjective posts and an awful lot of confirmation bias going on in this thread - it's why I've stayed out of it.

It was the perfect storm - 3 really tough incidents in the space of a few seconds and one goal. FWIW I did think it was a foul
There

🤷‍♂️ Is a ref an on field official or not?
Pedantics.
Up the feckin Blues
09:55, Mon 6 Nov
It looks like the ball came off Gabriel so Gordon not offside.

It came off Joelinton but it didn't matter anyway as Gordon was behind the ball
Happy Clapper
10:37, Mon 6 Nov
bbtl
The goal was good as far as I could see.

The whole of the ball didn't cross the line.

As pointed out earlier the contact was not a foul under the rules.

It looks like the ball came off Gabriel so Gordon not offside.

ymmv

Mostly agree with this.

I suspect Arteta is lashing out as he knows really that his new goalkeeper is looking out of his depth (flapping aimlessly at the cross) and that his centrehalf made an absolute powderpuff attempt at winning the ball.

The Newcastle players did exactly what I'd want our players to do tbh.
The cold never bothered me anyway
Bluesince62
Rab C Nesbitt
Bluesince62
Rab C Nesbitt
bluer than blues
Yep, the Guimares was terrible.

I think VAR has made the on field refs worse, too.
On field officials now don’t need to make decisions. VAR encourages that

Sorry mate but that's blatantly untrue - the whole reason that shit show happened last night was because VAR couldn't find a reason (clear and obvious error) to overrule the ref or ask him to view the screen.

There is some incredibly subjective posts and an awful lot of confirmation bias going on in this thread - it's why I've stayed out of it.

It was the perfect storm - 3 really tough incidents in the space of a few seconds and one goal. FWIW I did think it was a foul
There

🤷‍♂️ Is a ref an on field official or not?
Pedantics.
Of course he is. And lino’s. And arguably the 4th official
Tony Fantastico
14:29, Mon 6 Nov
I'd agree to a large extent.

This whole debate needn't have happened had Raya claimed the cross as he should have done.

I get replacing Ramsdale to an extent, he did cost them a few points, but they havent replaced him with someone who is much better - they both have different strengths and weaknesses but its created a problem that didnt need fixing just yet.

Raya had a similar issue against Chelsea too
14:47, Mon 6 Nov
majson
I get replacing Ramsdale to an extent, he did cost them a few points, but they havent replaced him with someone who is much better - they both have different strengths and weaknesses but its created a problem that didnt need fixing just yet.

See, I don't get it at all and never did.

It was (to me) just another example of Arteta trying to be a clever bleeder and making himself look a tit. You really would hope somebody would care enough to tell him what an absolute plonker he consistently makes himself look and sound.
14:56, Mon 6 Nov
Spike
majson

See, I don't get it at all and never did.

It was (to me) just another example of Arteta trying to be a clever bleeder and making himself look a tit. You really would hope somebody would care enough to tell him what an absolute plonker he consistently makes himself look and sound.

Yeah - and its like the comment about "there were games I wanted to change GK in game"....wtf?

now if he drops Raya he'll have people say he made a mistake, and if he dont and these errors keep happening he'll have people on at him for it and an angry Ramsadale....

they needed another Striker before GK was needing to be fixed
14:58, Mon 6 Nov
Yeah it's Arteta's ego getting the better of him, it seems like he wants to be the new Pep so thought he'd come up with a new GK rotation system that will have the football world calling him a genius

Ramsdale was excellent and didn't need replacing
Happy Clapper
15:03, Mon 6 Nov
Ramsdale had made a couple errors during season, esp towards the end in a few big games.

that being said, he was far from alone in this and the whole team cracked under pressure at the end of season and let their big lead over Man city fall away - that wasn't down to just 1 position - if anything owes more to Arteta not being able to stop the panic.

Rice aside im not sure if their new signings make them a better side than last season

Anyway back to VAR - ifs buts maybes and a few errors of late but int his case they didnt overturn the onfield - so no var same outcome?

Could argue VAR means they dont make that decision but if so thats daft, they can always flag it and have var check after if needed.
15:44, Mon 6 Nov
Arsenal have had 2.5 points per game with Ramsdale in goal and 2 with Raya in goal.

That's enough difference to be statistically significant.
bluearmyfaction
Arsenal have had 2.5 points per game with Ramsdale in goal and 2 with Raya in goal.

That's enough difference to be statistically significant.

As someone who did university level statistics (an extremely long time ago) I'm dubious about that claim as Raya's sample size is only 7 (Prem). Gut feel is any significance would have an incredibly low confidence level.

"SHA - where there's no escape from life's nerds"
STH on and off since 86. FML.
It’s nearly 20% of a season.
bluearmyfaction
It’s nearly 20% of a season.

Doesn't matter. It's the number of times you 'test' something that matters.

Think of tossing a coin.

If you do it 10 times you could easily get 7 heads and 3 tails even though you should get 5 of each.

Do it 1000 times and you almost certainly won't get 700 heads and 300 tails. You'd be v v v close to 500 and 500.

You need a big number of samples to be accurate.
STH on and off since 86. FML.