13:37, Sun 5 Nov
Was Eustace’s regime poorly conditioning the players?

Is it that Eustace-ball was less intensive so took less conditioning prep?

Is Wayne over playing it?

What’s the deal yo?
13:38, Sun 5 Nov
I think it’s incredibly hard to press like we did in the first half for 90 minutes. Depth is needed to keep it up, should get better when Buchanan, Anderson and Roberts come back.
Tell you what that crack is really moreish.
13:43, Sun 5 Nov
Thrillhouse
What’s the deal yo?

what is this I dont even
13:44, Sun 5 Nov
It's definitely being used as an excuse as to why we've got one point from four games and players who looked decent previously are suddenly running around aimlessly.
The cold never bothered me anyway
13:46, Sun 5 Nov
Thrillhouse
Was Eustace’s regime poorly conditioning the players?

Is it that Eustace-ball was less intensive so took less conditioning prep?

Is Wayne over playing it?

What’s the deal yo?

Yesterday showed that you have to take advantage of it when you’re on top.

If we spend most of our energy and still find ourselves behind or level then that’ll be the issue.

Being in front and having something to defend in those last 15 minutes should work out more often than not. That equalising goal yesterday, he could try that another 100 times and I reckon 90% would be scuffed, or ballooned.
Matthew 11:28
13:50, Sun 5 Nov
One of the stats just shown in the Norwich v Blackburn game.We have conceded 8 goals between 76 & 90 mins.Could be an issue,as wel as tactics,concentration.
14:02, Sun 5 Nov
To judge this you really need detailed state on distance covered, too speed, average speed, sprints, etc. Not just for Blues, but for all teams.

I think we'would be in the pack. Not that close to top of bottom, but I don't know.

The only player who really stands out as not fit enough is Juke. And that isn't his fault.
14:08, Sun 5 Nov
One of the stats just shown in the Norwich v Blackburn game.We have conceded 8 goals between 76 & 90 mins.Could be an issue,as wel as tactics,concentration.

And coincidentally when subs come on.

Sadly yesterday we dropped off massively when the subs came on.

The first goal pissed me off as it was crap.
14:19, Sun 5 Nov
Longelo should really have blocked it imo
Tony Fantastico
Holdsworth_MaraSonner
Fitness isn’t a completely homogenous thing. I think the team was actually pretty fit under Eustace but we were playing a low to mid block and then attacking on the counter, which means people are having to hit peak exertion periodically on the counter.

A high press probably necessitates being at 80% of peak heart rate for the majority of the game. It’s a slightly different energy system.

Basically this.

Rooney’s style demands a much higher level of fitness. It’s not to say they were poorly conditioned under Eustace, just that they didn’t require as high fitness levels.

Look at Leeds under Bielsa for example, and to a certain extent under Farke aswell.

In order for this style to work we need to be a lot better when in possession. This is when players get chance to recover. If we’re busting a gut when out of possession but losing it almost instantly then that’s a recipe for disaster.
14:34, Sun 5 Nov
And that’s why patience on our part is equally important as the evolution of play. The transition won’t happen immediately. It will involve personnel changes too
Tony Fantastico
15:41, Sun 5 Nov
I think Rooney has a point, 4 games in and no injuries under him so far, they were dropping like flies under Eustace, I was never happy with the fitness.
16:56, Sun 5 Nov
Yorkshireblue
I think Rooney has a point, 4 games in and no injuries under him so far, they were dropping like flies under Eustace, I was never happy with the fitness.

This
Ricky Otto 1994-1998 - The Man, The Legend
16:57, Sun 5 Nov
I also note Burke got MOTM yesterday.

Have to say as much as he has his bad things. The bloke looks and plays as fit as a butchers dog!
Ricky Otto 1994-1998 - The Man, The Legend
22:13, Sun 5 Nov
Being good in possession is key. If we are only having 30-40% of the ball then we are spending too much time trying to press aggressively.
Although, I’ve often looked at Premier League teams and they always seem so much fitter than us (and Championship teams in general). If you watch Man City for example, they press in packs really high and really aggressively for the whole 90 minutes and when they have the ball the players are constantly moving, making angles and running off the ball. Although their technical ability is light years ahead of ours, so is their fitness. In the modern era, the higher level of player is also a better athlete. It’s not just about running X amount of miles per game, it’s doing it with pace. We do have exceptions in our team, Sunjic and Stansfield seem to be able to press at pace for long periods and by all accounts George Hall- if he can get/stay fit has that natural ability.
I wonder if Hannibal might be available for another loan in January!?! Apparently he broke all running records during games with us last season.