06:48, Fri 10 Nov
He's a review of last Saturday's gig at the Phoenix Exeter. If you like blues, you must catch this tour. A double header of two bands who know how to do it right. (Do you see what I did there?!)

Review:

What a gig, it was rhythm and Blues galore with Dr. Feelgood and Nine Below Zero put on by Future Sound of Exeter. They have been touring together and taking it in turns to either be support or headline. Tonight Dr Feelgood were supporting. The normal bassist was unable to attend, but the guy who stood in did a brilliant job.

Of course Lee Brilleaux was the original lead singer and Wilco Johnson original guitarist. Wilco left in the 70’s and Lee died in 1994. Although none of the originals are left, 3 of the band have been there since 1983.

They started the set with Drives Me wild released in 1980 followed straight away by No mo do Yamamoto. I Can Tell from Oil City Confidential (1975) followed. We were off and running. Next was the first of 3 new tracks, Mary Ann. Back to classics with All Through the City, was next which got a great response. Damn Right I Do, the second new song, followed. You Don’t Love was next. The following two songs featured slide guitar. Firstly the third and final new song called Keep Under Cover and then the brilliant Back in the Night.

Roxette was next, with some snazzy harmonica. We we only getting classics now. A proper blues track was next If My Baby Quits Me followed by the hit single Milk and Alcohol. Next was a cover of the Bobby Charles track See You Later Alligator. Harmonica featured heavily in that and the next track Going Back Home again from Oil City Confidential. The Micky Jupp song and hit for Feelgood, Down at the Doctors was the penultimate track. The set was completed by the Brilliant blues track Give Me One More Shot.

Where did that hour go? What a set, and superb musicians. However we were only halfway through.

After a short break, on came Nine Below Zero. I hadn’t seen either band before, but NBZ had been on my “todo” list!
The lead vocalist and guitarist along with singer and harmonist player, are original members.

The set started with 11+11. Three Times Enough was next, with excellent audience participation. I Can’t Help Myself (Sugar Pie Honey Bunch), the Four Tops classic was next. When it finished I turned to Neil and said Got to Get a Witness, which is the next track on Live at the Marquee. That’s exactly where they went next!

Stone Fox Chase was next, better known as the theme for the Old Grey Whistle Test. This featured Mark Feltham on harmonica. Down in the Dirt Again was next with a sneaky 007 riff within it! The next two tracks were Don’t Point Your Finger at the Guitar Player and the Roy Head cover Treat Her Right. Audience hey hey hey!

Then two songs I didn’t know, firstly High Temperature which apparently is an old song that has been bought to life. Then I Wanna be a Wannabe which is a new one.

Back to Live at the Marquee with Ridin’ the L&N again featuring Mark on the harp! Another cover, Chuck Berry’s Round and Round. Then to finish the set, 3 more from the Marquee. First I Can’t Do My Homework Anymore then the brilliant Got My Mojo Working (But it Just Won’t Work On You) an Ann Cole with the Suburbans cover. The set was bought to an end with Wooly Bully. Another cover this time Sam Sham & the Pharaohs. What a superb set.

The encore was Nine Below Feelgood, or Dr Feelzero whichever way you want to put it. Basically both bands came on and did You Better Watch Yourself which was on Marquee. Then finally a cover of Jerry Lee Lewis’ Great balls of fire.
Wow what a show. A proper Ronseal gig. Did exactly what it said on the tin. Rhythm and Blues at its best.
What back next year? Count me in!
07:17, Fri 10 Nov
11 + 11 A young ones classic episode
07:43, Fri 10 Nov
4CELL
11 + 11 A young ones classic episode

Yep. Got it on video somewhere!
07:59, Fri 10 Nov
Born to do when I was seven. Brilliant. Always remember them on the young ones.
08:00, Fri 10 Nov
Loved Amazulu on there too.
08:21, Fri 10 Nov
Dennis Greaves is the lead singer & guitarist of NBZ. After The Jam split in the early 80s he saw an opportunity to gain a ready made audience and formed The Truth who went on to have some success.
08:28, Fri 10 Nov
bluer than blues
Loved Amazulu on there too.

Are you really, I'm a Glaswegian.

I saw nine below Zero in 1982? at the Odeon. Before they appeared on The young ones.
It's easier to beg for forgiveness, than ask for permission.
10:14, Fri 10 Nov
Sounds like you really enjoyed it 👍

One of my great wishes in life was to have been a few years older so I could have seen Feelgood in their mid-70’s prime.
10:37, Fri 10 Nov
I will have to do a review of Bad manners when I see them early December.
Turn left when you get on a plane.
11:58, Fri 10 Nov
Nice review, cheers.
Dr Feelgood are the Trigger’s Broom of British RnB. Having followed them since I was a kid I was disappointed when Kane was installed as their frontman as the guy’s a total bellend (my band supported The Animals and Friends when he was fronting them and he was arrogant and ignorant). I went to see them a few times (Naughty Rhythms tour, blues weekenders and a gig at the Jamhouse) and Kane was full of energy but his prima donna antics were never far from the surface so I stopped going to see them. Saw Wilko quite a few times and he was always great. As someone else said, I’d loved to have seen the Feelgoods in their prime - fantastic band
14:46, Fri 10 Nov
I saw them at the Odeon in about 77. I think post Wilco

Mink Deville supported them

Great Gig
18:15, Fri 10 Nov
QBBC2
Nice review, cheers.
Dr Feelgood are the Trigger’s Broom of British RnB. Having followed them since I was a kid I was disappointed when Kane was installed as their frontman as the guy’s a total bellend...

…As someone else said, I’d loved to have seen the Feelgoods in their prime - fantastic band

I’m sorry to hear that. I thought he was very good, yes a bit showy but it was in a good way. I met him afterwards and had a little chat with him and he was friendly.

Agree though would have loved to have seen them with Lee as front man.

GBlue
I saw them at the Odeon in about 77. I think post Wilco

Mink Deville supported them

Great Gig

Wow I bet it was.