16:52, Mon 13 Nov
My Blue Heaven
As a matter of interest, how would you describe people who are calling for protest against the club until Rooney goes?

tosspots

Drama queens or morons

Bastards
18:03, Mon 13 Nov
Rags
Rags
Personally i think it was a mistake to lob a grenade in to the footballing side of things quite so soon , you want your man in charge great , but how about you actually give him a chance to succeed ?

If you want Rooney in then why not organise it a bit better , tell him its his job , ask him which players he would like and get it all organised for next season , in the meanwhile leave JE doing what he was doing , what was the worst that could happen , he goes on a bad run and you fire him anyway and Rooney is there to take over as the saviour , or he has a decent season and we are there or there abouts and he falls short , fire him for falling short and everybody understands , and if by some miracle he got promotion , jobs a good un

in my view all they have done is unsettle the players and give rooney a hospital pass while splitting the fanbase , just when it looked like we were making some progress

but everything you say makes sense .... until you look at it from a different perspective ... "they" clearly expected immediate improvement under Rooney

- because if they didn't then your take on it is spot on and unarguable and only a complete dick would have looked at it differently

I don't think they did - assuming you mean results on the pitch as a metric for improvement. This is where it's completely fair to say "we were 6th - it would be unrealistic to expect us to push higher up the table".

They got Rooney in because they wanted him and the timing worked with him leaving DC. You can't offer a job to a man a year in advance and say "it's yours if we don't get promoted" and expect him to stick around waiting for it.

I didn't expect top 6 at any point this season, so for me, as long as we don't go down, we're just giving Rooney time to properly work with and assess the squad and the improvements required over the next 2 windows, and that's okay. If we brought him in next season, he wouldn't have that time. The worry is that we go down this year - whereas before I would've accepted that if it meant we got sold and could rebuild, now, a relegation would be a disaster. But I still don't think we'll go down, I'm holding judgment on that until I've seen more than 5 games.

"The worry is that we go down this year" = that's just not going to happen though is it - generally my outlook is pessimistic but i've never been more optimistic than now when i look at the table and think JUST how bad some of the other teams are.

Would be rather ironic though if it was close and we stayed up because of the points that Eustace put on the table

No of course - and that's precisely my point :) we won't know if Rooney was the right appointment just yet, if he fails after being given a season to assess the squad and the part 2 of the rebuild expected this summer, then he's a failure. Until then, or the eventuality that we go down (unlikely) then the jury's out. In my opinion
Rooney has achieved something no other manager has, I am now actually glad there's an International break. We can go through a weekend without suffering another defeat. Giving him 11 games just to match Eustace is crass. Rooney is our manager so we like in the bed we have made until relegation looks like a real possibility. I hope over the two weeks a pragmatic compromise can be reached. The defence needs to defend and Stanfield must be given service.
Rab C Nesbitt
PRBlue
Good article Dan - question - if results continue to go as they have would the FFP constraints we are under make it very difficult to sack Rooney et al given they have lucrative 3.5 year contracts?
You just pay them monthly if you sack them until they find another job

I'm no employment law expert, but I don't this is right.

If he's on a 3 year contract and we terminate it, he's entitled to all his wages for all 3 years.

Same reason we don't terminate players' contracts.

Unless there's some sort of compromise arrangement or other get-out clauses written in.

(I'll gladly stand corrected on this - but only by people with HR /legal expertise 😉 )
STH on and off since 86. FML.
From how I understand it they’re not technically sacked, more like put on gardening leave.

I could be wrong but I think JE is still classed as an employee of the club.
Tell you what that crack is really moreish.
I’m an expert on what ever I feel like saying I’m an expert. They’re entitled to get paid for their whole contract but we’re entitled to stop them managing another club in that time and earning 2 salaries doing the same job. It’s their choice to start another job, and therefore forfeit their future wages with us
Tony Fantastico
Super Hans
From how I understand it they’re not technically sacked, more like put on gardening leave.

Whatever the executional details, I'm still under the impression that an employee is entitled to his severance. If my contract says, we'll employ you for a year and pay you a million quid for it and my employer sacks me after a day, I'm still entitled to all the dough. I think.
the Kevin Langley fan club
Super Hans

Whatever the executional details, I'm still under the impression that an employee is entitled to his severance. If my contract says, we'll employ you for a year and pay you a million quid for it and my employer sacks me after a day, I'm still entitled to all the dough. I think.

Eustace hasn’t actually been sacked though, the club have told him to go home and they will pay him for it.

Then when he wants to take a new job the contract with blues will be terminated at that point.
Tell you what that crack is really moreish.
My 2 pen'orth:

I remain convinced it won't work because all the available evidence points that way. Nothing in his track record or his actions since arriving suggest he's a good football coach.

He's also been shafted by Cook with the timing, making the task harder.

I must also point out (again) that Cook has previous for choosing poor gaffers - Mark Hughes at Man City whom he described as "England's brightest young manager". Hughes finished lower than his predecessor, was sacked by the next Xmas and has been pretty much a serial failure everywhere he's been (except Stoke TBF).

Is that enough reason to sack him?

I dunno....
Super Hans
Super Hans

Eustace hasn’t actually been sacked though, the club have told him to go home and they will pay him for it.

Then when he wants to take a new job the contract with blues will be terminated at that point.

Got it 👍

So effectively the 'sacked' manager actually ends up resigning when a new job comes up, thus waiving their entitlement.

I'm still not convinced but like I say I'm no HR lawyer.

Why cant we do that with players we don't want then?
Super Hans

Haven’t we been paying 3 or more managers at once previously?
And presumably a reason why Graham Potter isn’t working
Tony Fantastico
19:44, Mon 13 Nov
Rag’s could not agree more what do think Dembele would have done with the chance against Sunderland?anybody that tells me that Burke is a better player than Dembele I will give up and take up fishing Burke is a squad player at best
19:59, Mon 13 Nov
I seem to remember that the main reason Moyes didn't work for so long was that no club would offer him what Man utd were paying him, so effectively he was on gardening leave for four years (he was removed after 1 year of a 5 year contract).

If they come to an agreement to pay off the contract in full or partially, then that is a different scenario.
The cold never bothered me anyway
20:04, Mon 13 Nov
Rasputin
I seem to remember that the main reason Moyes didn't work for so long was that no club would offer him what Man utd were paying him, so effectively he was on gardening leave for four years (he was removed after 1 year of a 5 year contract).

If they come to an agreement to pay off the contract in full or partially, then that is a different scenario.

Why did he have to be payed the same as Man Utd were paying him?
20:13, Mon 13 Nov
His choice to not earn less than he could have by doing nothing
Tony Fantastico