13:19, Mon 20 Nov
Recently had the pleasure of driving across the Bolivian Salt flats in Uyuni... What an incredible experience.

Sadly, it was cloudy both nights that we camped there, so didn't get the spectacular star show. But we did in the Atacama Desert once we crossed into Chile.

Here's our recent video about our experience.

13:31, Mon 20 Nov
The stars in the Atacama are incredible. One of my favourite places in the world.
Mandated as the Poster of Reason - October 2023
13:32, Mon 20 Nov
Ooooh look at me, I've been to the driest place in the world.

Pathetic.
14:16, Mon 20 Nov
i put salt on my boiled eggs,lovely with soldiers
14:17, Mon 20 Nov
Oldham
Ooooh look at me, I've been to the driest place in the world.

Pathetic.

Unfortunately that's the effect that I seem to have.
Mandated as the Poster of Reason - October 2023
14:31, Mon 20 Nov
Incredible night sky. We even spotted what we believed to be the Hailey's Comet tail passing by one evening.
14:39, Mon 20 Nov
Unless you were there in 1986 or using a large telescope it's unlikely to have been Halley's comet.

There are other comets that are sometimes visible.
15:12, Mon 20 Nov
Interesting vid, nice cats. Was a bit stressed out on your behalf with the petrol shortage/suspension problem. You did a good job of building up the suspense. Enjoy your travels!
15:18, Mon 20 Nov
A South African camper we were camped with mentioned that it was fragments of the tail based on what he'd researched, but not the comet itself. Whatever it was, it was impressive.
15:21, Mon 20 Nov
The great thing about Bolivia is how cheap the local fuel price is. There is meant to be an inflated international price, but it is incredibly hard to find petrol stations in cities who will see it at all the internationals.

We made it in the end though and it was worth it. Those problems were nothing compared to some of the more serious ones we've faced on this 4 year trip.
Fragments of the tail would be the Orionid meteor shower.

Might have been Comet Nishimura, which was quite bright in September.
15:46, Mon 20 Nov
Linked Image

Probably way off but I've got a picture of you in my mind's eye
We've only got Chewits
17:03, Mon 20 Nov
ThekombiChronicles
A South African camper we were camped with mentioned that it was fragments of the tail based on what he'd researched, but not the comet itself. Whatever it was, it was impressive.

That makes sense.
I'd love to go like Chile to see the stars.

The amount of light pollution in the Uk is awful. Even in fairly rural areas you can still see it.
17:09, Mon 20 Nov
My Mrs' family live in East Sussex and you can see some pretty impressive stars out in the sticks.

I used to teach in Ward End and we had to order an inflatable auditorium to project stars onto.

The stars here in Chile are great. Lots of clear nights so you can see lots of constellations and a pretty good view of the milky way.
Living vicariously through your journey has been a welcome departure from my otherwise boring existence. Godspeed, and of course .....Keep Right On (which no doubt you will).
"Never let the truth get in the way of a good story."