08:25, Tue 21 Nov
Mister Mutley
Not that sure about the squad. Take Kane and Bellingham out and I think it’s nothing special.

It doesn't have the depth that the 2002-2010 'golden generation' did, thats for certain.
The cold never bothered me anyway
08:30, Tue 21 Nov
Rab C Nesbitt
montypenguin
A half decent ref and we would have won that game.

That said England don't look half as good without Jude and Kane on the pitch.

Southgate - 1 Euro Final and 1 WC Semi - no manager since Alf Ramsay can get anywhere near that record and yet there are still some on here who want rid. Feckin ridiculous.
Some of the performances he’s managed to churn out with the talent at his disposal is mind boggling. The 4-0 home defeat to Hungary probably peak. But the last 2 back to back performances are sack worthy imo. There’s no progression.
People will look back in the not to distant future and laugh that he was allowed to manage this group

The 4-0 defeat against Hungary came at the end of a long season in the Mickey Mouse Euro League when the players were clearly already mentally on the beach. That's before we mention the last two dead rubber games. You can't seriously take that as Southgate's legacy?

Sorry Rab, respect a lot of your opinions but on this one you're talking out your bum.
08:31, Tue 21 Nov
Charcy
Radavis
Charcy
Its UEFA, Italy got knocked out of the FIFA World Cup at the qualifying stage.

Best not to create make believe scenarios with the worst examples.

Whilst I agree with that sentiment, that is one very dodgy looking decision, especially at a time when most the western world is hoping for every positive for Ukraine. I’m not saying it’s Russian interference but I’m also not saying it’s not….

I really hope this is a joke.

Tongue very firmly in cheek.
09:19, Tue 21 Nov
Le Mod
Mister Mutley
Not that sure about the squad. Take Kane and Bellingham out and I think it’s nothing special.

Netherlands and Italy call up 34 year old forwards for their first cap, they have players from the Championship and relegation threatened teams, or players who can’t get into teams like West Ham. England could genuinely name an entire second squad that would have more quality then what they possess.

Our third and fourth choice players in various positions would start for them (in some i’d go as far down as fifth or sixth)

That’s not to say we should win it, cause France and Spain are still good, but in terms of a squad and depth; we’re light years ahead of a lot of other countries we used to envy, who’s leagues have weakened and who have largely stopped producing quality players
Correct. Portugal are another quality side
Tony Fantastico
09:22, Tue 21 Nov
montypenguin
Rab C Nesbitt
montypenguin
A half decent ref and we would have won that game.

That said England don't look half as good without Jude and Kane on the pitch.

Southgate - 1 Euro Final and 1 WC Semi - no manager since Alf Ramsay can get anywhere near that record and yet there are still some on here who want rid. Feckin ridiculous.
Some of the performances he’s managed to churn out with the talent at his disposal is mind boggling. The 4-0 home defeat to Hungary probably peak. But the last 2 back to back performances are sack worthy imo. There’s no progression.
People will look back in the not to distant future and laugh that he was allowed to manage this group

The 4-0 defeat against Hungary came at the end of a long season in the Mickey Mouse Euro League when the players were clearly already mentally on the beach. That's before we mention the last two dead rubber games. You can't seriously take that as Southgate's legacy?

Sorry Rab, respect a lot of your opinions but on this one you're talking out your bum.
So the Euro’s final shouldn’t count because it came at the end of a long hard season. Same with the dream draw World Cup in 2018
Tony Fantastico
09:27, Tue 21 Nov
Oboe
Absolute turgid rubbish, Prem players you're having a laff. But useless Southgate won't be sacked being a FA yes man. Well i know what i'll be doing next summer, and it won't be watching that sh*t. France, Germany, Netherlands etc.. will be rubbing their hands in anticipation, even the Jocks will fancy their chances.

Thank eff you're giving it a swerve. It's getting boring listening to morons bleat on about England not winning every game 5-0, so having one fewer is very welcome.
09:30, Tue 21 Nov
Chris
Oboe
Absolute turgid rubbish, Prem players you're having a laff. But useless Southgate won't be sacked being a FA yes man. Well i know what i'll be doing next summer, and it won't be watching that sh*t. France, Germany, Netherlands etc.. will be rubbing their hands in anticipation, even the Jocks will fancy their chances.

Thank eff you're giving it a swerve. It's getting boring listening to morons bleat on about England not winning every game 5-0, so having one fewer is very welcome.

👍
09:36, Tue 21 Nov
I think there's a bit of a difference between a major tournament and the nations league. Not to say those results were great but they clearly ranked in low importance to the side.

Should we have a bit more to shout about given the players available and relative strength of other nations. Probably. (imo should have won euros and got to the final of 2018 World Cup).

Would any other previous manager have done better than Southgate. Probably not.

Besides the tournaments and the occasional dud performances, we have also had some memorable matches for the right reason.

Beat Italy in Italy
Beat Germany in a finals
Won a penalty shoot out
Some heavy scores in finals group games
Beat Spain in Spain
09:39, Tue 21 Nov
BLUENOSE B
It goes to show with last two performaces we still have these type of performances in us as same as against scotland at euros and usa in world cup, cant break lesser teams down at times.

EVERY team has these type of performances in them.

Germany have been walloped by Japan, Turkey and drew with Mexico of late; Spain lost to Scotland; Brazil lost to Uruguay, Colombia and drew with Venezuela in their last three games; Argentina lost to Uruguay and have scraped past their minnows in Ecuador and Paraguay. Even France, who have been perfect in qualifying, have only scraped past Greece and Ireland in this campaign.

Who else? Let's go down the rankings. Belgium - drew with Austria; Portugal - 'only' beat Liechtenstein 2-0 and Iceland 2-0 and 0-1 in their games; Netherlands - scraped past Ireland and Greece by a single goal recently.

You get the point by now. Teams are allowed to have an off-day without it being the end of the world, they can't be expected to win every game at a canter. Qualification for Germany was effectively sealed when we beat Italy in the first game. Beating them at home in the last game (good result, remember that one!?) meant these were dead rubber games. You've got Vinicuis Jr our for the next few months, Gavi did his ACL for Spain the other day - there's Champions League next week - you can't blame everybody involved from thinking that there wasn't much point going hell for leather in these two meaningless games.

And don't get me started on the ridiculous notion that the teams would be sent out by the manager to play with any sort of restriction on them against the likes of Macedonia and Malta - you're kidding yourselves to suit your own viewpoint.

That being said, eff Trent off out of the midfield and get Gallagher playing regularly. He and Rice would make for a fantastic centre-mid pairing.
09:42, Tue 21 Nov
Absolutely judge him on his performance in major competitions and qualifying for those competitions.

The idea that the manager should be sacked on performances in two dead rubbers is nonsensical.

Dion Dublin on the other hand, oh my days.
09:49, Tue 21 Nov
Before 2018 in both WCs and Euros England had beaten only 3 teams in normal time in knock out games. Three!!

Those 3 world football heavyweights were Denmark (2002 R16); Ecuador (2006 R16... and only just); and Paraguay (1986 R16). three bastions of world football there. Put it anyway you like but England prior to 2018 have been pretty feckin abysmal.
09:54, Tue 21 Nov
another unbeaten stress free qualifying campaign

plain sailing into the knockout stages of recent comps...reaching finals and semi finals of major competitions

top seeding confirmed for the next euros

Southgate is the best manager England have had
09:57, Tue 21 Nov
😂
Tony Fantastico
10:03, Tue 21 Nov
You're the effin moron mate, and blinkered. Portugal never let up, France never let up in dead rubber games, if you want to be an apologist for that shite crack on. Like i wrote earlier, i used to travel home and away 80's and 90's, where you there? Doubtful. Apart from a decent spell mid 90's and the easy path thru the recent WC and Euros to the semis and final there's been no progression. Backwards, sideways, whenever they play someone decent they either get found wanting or bottle it. Next year will be the exact same turgidness unless Jude carries us, or they get rid of Southgate. Abject failure awaits yet again, what will the inane excuses be this time??
10:10, Tue 21 Nov
Our Chris does love the DvB Southgate. And Watkins and Mings tbf. It’s a blind spot
Tony Fantastico