11:10, Tue 21 Nov
Rab C Nesbitt
Chris
Rab C Nesbitt
Our Chris does love the DvB Southgate. And Watkins and Mings tbf. It’s a blind spot

Now, now; that's bait.
Took longer than I thought 😉

Was trying to wade through all the other shite on here - I almost missed it.
11:12, Tue 21 Nov
They also beat Belgium and Spain that tournament too, but that doesn’t suit the narrative of them being shit.
Tell you what that crack is really moreish.
11:13, Tue 21 Nov
Super Hans
They also beat Belgium and Spain that tournament too, but that doesn’t suit the narrative of them being shit.
Didn’t say they were shot. They weren’t playing at home though
Tony Fantastico
11:14, Tue 21 Nov
Chris
Rab C Nesbitt
Chris
Rab C Nesbitt
Our Chris does love the DvB Southgate. And Watkins and Mings tbf. It’s a blind spot

Now, now; that's bait.
Took longer than I thought 😉

Was trying to wade through all the other shite on here - I almost missed it.
There’s rivers of shit to Wade through lately
Tony Fantastico
11:17, Tue 21 Nov
Deschamps lost in the final at home in 2016, bet they were happy 2 years later they didn’t sack him.

The Euros has been won at home three times, two in the 60’s and once in the 80’s. Clearly home advantage in it isn’t that important
11:19, Tue 21 Nov
Rab C Nesbitt
They weren’t playing at home though

only 3 nations who have hosted the EURO's have won that edition of the competition. About once every five tournaments it happens.
The cold never bothered me anyway
11:20, Tue 21 Nov
Super Hans
Deschamps lost in the final at home in 2016, bet they were happy 2 years later they didn’t sack him.

The Euros has been won at home twice, both in the 60’s. Clearly home advantage in it isn’t that important.
Get the DvB to get his teeth done and we’re laughing
Tony Fantastico
11:23, Tue 21 Nov
I’m not saying he’s the right man btw, I think the overreaction last night by some in this thread was laughably OTT though.
11:24, Tue 21 Nov
I’ve been consistent for years. Don’t like him
Tony Fantastico
11:32, Tue 21 Nov
Oboe
You're the effin moron mate, and blinkered. Portugal never let up, France never let up in dead rubber games, if you want to be an apologist for that shite crack on. Like i wrote earlier, i used to travel home and away 80's and 90's, where you there? Doubtful. Apart from a decent spell mid 90's and the easy path thru the recent WC and Euros to the semis and final there's been no progression. Backwards, sideways, whenever they play someone decent they either get found wanting or bottle it. Next year will be the exact same turgidness unless Jude carries us, or they get rid of Southgate. Abject failure awaits yet again, what will the inane excuses be this time??

We never let up in qualification for 2016 with a perfect 10 wins from 10.

We then finished second in the group behind Wales and lost to Iceland in the first knockout game.

I'm not sure a faultless qualifying campaign means anything.

For further evidence see Belgium who also have had perfect qualifying and then lost early in tournaments or Germany for w/c 2018 who then finished bottom of their group.
11:43, Tue 21 Nov
Past teams have underperformed at times and missed opportunities, doesn’t mean this one hasn’t. Twice in very big games through timidity. Certainly that ‘golden generation’ team looks like underachievers but in my view we’ve now got the best variety of attacking talent in depth we’ve had. Southgate struggles (he obviously does try) to get a consistent attacking pattern and pace out of the team, certainly compared to the pattern and pace in it. He’s trying to move on from a fairly defensive mind set but isn’t convincing me. Foden in particular tried to inject some pace into the team last night but a lot of it was turgid and familiar. I’m not someone who expects us to put every team
away by a cricket score but we didn’t create very much at all considering how much we had the ball
and the talent available. Any the opposition was pretty poor. It wasn’t just last night. Italy as people have said aren’t a great side just now but we really struggled against them first half until Bellingham’s brilliance changed things.
13:02, Tue 21 Nov
Far from an old codger young un, seen enough to know nothing will change in my lifetime, regardless of coach, players, maybe it's the mindset, or the greed has sullied that.
13:36, Tue 21 Nov
If it’s regardless of coach or players then why do you bother watching?
13:42, Tue 21 Nov
Oboe
Far from an old codger young un, seen enough to know nothing will change in my lifetime, regardless of coach, players, maybe it's the mindset, or the greed has sullied that.

As you said at the start then, you may as well give it all up. I'm sure you'll be back on the next anti-England thread that comes up though.
13:56, Tue 21 Nov
Oboe

Unless he wins it I'd say this is Southgate's last tournament. I disagree with the nothing changes mantra though:

Croatia: took over just before the tournament after the Big Sam shambles and got the players together enough to get to the semi-final, Croatia way too good where it matters (midfield), not his fault.

Italy: a hair's breadth from victory but agreed outplayed/out thought after 30 minutes, his big weakness exposed there.

France: we controlled the game and were unlucky to lose.

I think there's steady improvement in terms of the play, and he is fantastic off the pitch despite having been touched by Villa.