15:59, Fri 24 Nov
dork
i just find it hard to believe that if something could build a ship capable of the sort of technology needed to move through space and time to visit other worlds that their safety systems would be worse than a medium spec family hatchback .

that is not to say i don't believe in aliens or even the remote possibility they may have conquered the travel issue , i just don't get the whole crash thing

I personally doubt that that sort of technology, capable of that type of travel, has been built anywhere.

Our own technology is almost comparatively prehistoric, yet we live in a world that we are destroying and draining of natural resources. Long before we have reached the technological level needed to harness space and time , this will be a dead planet.

I have no reason to doubt that would be the same with any civilisation anywhere.

Yes, I have no doubt that there are other worlds that have developed intelligent life. We won’t ever visit them though, and they won’t ever visit us.
16:15, Fri 24 Nov
Ha Ha! Very good....
16:16, Fri 24 Nov
dork
i just find it hard to believe that if something could build a ship capable of the sort of technology needed to move through space and time to visit other worlds that their safety systems would be worse than a medium spec family hatchback .

that is not to say i don't believe in aliens or even the remote possibility they may have conquered the travel issue , i just don't get the whole crash thing

I personally doubt that that sort of technology, capable of that type of travel, has been built anywhere.

Our own technology is almost comparatively prehistoric, yet we live in a world that we are destroying and draining of natural resources. Long before we have reached the technological level needed to harness space and time , this will be a dead planet.

I have no reason to doubt that would be the same with any civilisation anywhere.

Yes, I have no doubt that there are other worlds that have developed intelligent life. We won’t ever visit them though, and they won’t ever visit us.

Have a glance at the Kardashev Scale.

Also, other worlds may have magnitudes more natural recourses like our planet.
LBN
16:48, Fri 24 Nov
dork

yeah, and there is no way they'd allow any alien to get their hands or tentacles on their technology. There'd be some sort of self destruct set up should the worst happen.
17:03, Fri 24 Nov
Tom TheProject Brady
dork

Have a glance at the Kardashev Scale.

Also, other worlds may have magnitudes more natural recourses like our planet.

Even Kardashev speculated that no civilisation would progress beyond Level 3 on his scale because of the constraints of physics.
07:01, Sat 25 Nov
I'm not buying UFO stuff, but there is a REALLY bright thing right now in (I think) Boötes, quite high up in the eastern sky, and I've no idea what it is - can't be a planet but it's brighter than Venus and has been there at least 10 minutes. Can't see any news about it anywhere though.
10:20, Sat 25 Nov
LBN
LBN
dork

yeah, and there is no way they'd allow any alien to get their hands or tentacles on their technology. There'd be some sort of self destruct set up should the worst happen.

It's another good point that is - a civilisation with technology that advanced and they would just allow a craft to fall into the hands of the chimps on the green planet? Naah, just doesn't feel right at all.
Up the feckin Blues
10:58, Sat 25 Nov
Or maybe the tech is that advanced they’re not worried we’d be able to copy it anyway.
11:34, Sat 25 Nov
Tom TheProject Brady
Or maybe the tech is that advanced they’re not worried we’d be able to copy it anyway.

Nope, still doesn't make any sort of sense - also - just how many of these things have crashed here? China has one at least, the Yanks have one at least, Nazi Germany had one (and if so what happened to that when the war ended - Russia get it?). Just how badly put together are these craft or how pissed were the drivers?
Up the feckin Blues
11:55, Sat 25 Nov
Tom TheProject Brady

Nope, still doesn't make any sort of sense - also - just how many of these things have crashed here? China has one at least, the Yanks have one at least, Nazi Germany had one (and if so what happened to that when the war ended - Russia get it?). Just how badly put together are these craft or how pissed were the drivers?

Depends how many visit vs how many crash, could be millions per crash. How many car journeys, flights, sailings are made per crash?

Nothing can ever be infallible.
12:21, Sat 25 Nov
So you think we've been visited millions of times? ohhhhkay.
Up the feckin Blues
12:24, Sat 25 Nov
So you think we've been visited millions of times? ohhhhkay.

Why not? Not saying it's the case, just dont see the logic.

If for arguments sake there was a civilisation millions or even billions of years ahead of us in technology it would seem perfectly feasable to me. Could be as simple as nipping to the shop for them. 🤷‍♂️
12:28, Sat 25 Nov
Didn’t say I believed it, just throwing hypotheticals out. Stuff goes wrong sometimes.
14:33, Sat 25 Nov
Nazi Germany didn't have one. They tried to make one.

The USA have got at least 10 (parts or full things), I think it's safe to say China and Russia maybe have the same number.

How do you know these things aren't left here for us to find? Maybe they want us to find them and see if we are clever enough to use them.

It's like giving a chimpanzee the keys to a Ferrari. It's going to take him a long time to work out how to drive
AnE - conspiracy theorist, ardent viler-hater, nutjob cyclist, Cubie-bater, go-to iconoclast
14:42, Sat 25 Nov
A_n_E
Nazi Germany didn't have one. They tried to make one.

The USA have got at least 10 (parts or full things), I think it's safe to say China and Russia maybe have the same number.

How do you know these things aren't left here for us to find? Maybe they want us to find them and see if we are clever enough to use them.

It's like giving a chimpanzee the keys to a Ferrari. It's going to take him a long time to work out how to drive

Never seen Planet of the Apes? Leaving advanced technology for a world that has historically never been able to live in peace wouldn’t seem to be a very wise decision.

The best and most likely explanation is that it’s never happened. There is absolutely zero evidence that it has, just stories. The evidence for ghosts, gods and fairies is much stronger, and I don’t believe in them either.